About twins??? Just wondering???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by MilitaryMummy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. MilitaryMummy

MilitaryMummy Mum to Macie Brooke xxx

Hey all, this is for anyone really haha....
    I was just wondering what the likliness of me having twins is?
    My DH side of the family has twins in it, on his mother's side and it has already skipped a generation (which it has always done) and is technically back to his generation now?
    I'm just wondering out of nosiness. lol.
    xx

2. Zebra Stars

Zebra Stars 3RD Trimester

well i know for people who havent got twins in there family its 1 in 285
    so a greater chancethan that

3. Kitty23

Kitty23 Mummy to Poppy and Noah

Sorry but twins only run in the female side of the family. Your dh can't make you ovulate two eggs, and identical twins are purely a freak of nature :) xxx

4. clogsy90

clogsy90 mummy of 2 girls

i was going to say the same its his job with the sex of the baby and yours to make the multiples :p

5. ladypotter

ladypotter Three Girls!!!

Yep, the two egg release is a female trait. Only women side can affect that. Identicals are by pure chance. There have been speculation as to things that can bump up the odds, but no solid data...I even watched a special on TV the other day about this.. interesting.

6. xMissxZoiex

xMissxZoiex Leo, Wyatt, Owen & Milo

Yehh it does run on a female side... i have twin brothers, and my mums auntie has twins and then her auntie has twins ... so it hasnt skipped a generation fingers crossed this pregnancy wont be twins lol i do want twins just not first time hehe xxxxxxx

7. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

Yep it comes from the female's side as it't the female that releases the two eggs and identical twins is just something that can happen.

Your chances of releasing two eggs increases with age. Multiples are more common in women around 30 as they can release more eggs more often.

You could be in your 20's have no twins on your side of family and still end up pregnant with twins, it is the luck of the draw....

8. jbrocksmith

jbrocksmith Well-Known Member

heyyyy now Kitty23!!! I'm an identical twin and the only set of twins in the family! We're not freaks of nature!!!!! I would say more of "special"!

9. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Interesting! My mom is a twin and I have twins on my dads side too, my sister had twins 2 years ago :D However, im only 24 and my understanding is that it usually affects older women.

10. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

No your not a freak of nature your a miracle of nature :hugs:

11. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

If there are twins on your fathers side it is possible that you carry the hyperstimulation gene (which is what releases more eggs)

The male doesn't actully have anything to do with producing twins however if the male has a daughter then she can carry on that gene. So there is a high possibility you could also carry the gene and have twins yourself. Fraternal twins his inherited but identical twins are a miracle of there own.

12. MilitaryMummy

MilitaryMummy Mum to Macie Brooke xxx

Hey thanx for all you're answers. I'm happy with just the one little bean as long as my squisy is healthy. lol. I was just wondering as i know there were twins on his side and i've never had to think about it before lol. xxx

13. maratobe

maratobe Well-Known Member

this is interesting cause twins run in my side if the family and its skipped generations...my nans mother (great grandma) was a twin then my nan had twins (my aunties) and now its in our generation to have another set.....and im the 3rd cousin to be pregnant out of 10 girls hahaha

14. Pink_Tinks

Pink_Tinks Well-Known Member

ah interesting stuff ladies!
    My OH's grandma is a twin so if the whole generation skipping is true then its one of him or his brothers to produce twins next... but probably no chance as they are all boys!

Dont think there are any twins on my side of the family... tut! i'd love twins...

15. Kitty23

Kitty23 Mummy to Poppy and Noah

Lolol I meant freaks of nature in the loveliest way! :kiss: Mine are identical :) can't wait! xxx

16. nineena

nineena mummy to a gorgeous girl

We have twins on both sides of the family and on mums side it was looking like me that would have the tiwns but we escaped so my poor sis is panicking now coz she's the only 1 in the family now that hasnt been pregnant lol

17. jbrocksmith

jbrocksmith Well-Known Member

hehe it's okay kitty23! I was just messin with ya! :) Congrats on your identical twins!! :)