Accuracy of gender detection from ultrasound

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by OKgirl, Sep 27, 2008.

1. OKgirl

OKgirl Well-Known Member

Anyone know how accurate the gender prediction is from your ultrasound? I had mine at 19 weeks. I looked on the internet but couldn't find any stats.
    Thanks!

2. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

no idea, I think alot of it depends on the techs experience and the position of the baby

3. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Honestly, I think in general it's pretty accurate. obviously it depends on the experience and skills of the sonographer so we have to take human error into consideration.

4. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Like Blah said a lot of it depends on the skill of the sonographer so there really wouldnt be any stats to produce.

5. danni2609

danni2609 Guest

I do think ovarall they are pretty accurate they were right with my daughter! But obviously not all the time

6. pennysbored

pennysbored Well-Known Member

Couldn't tell you. Hopefully they are high as I've got my detailed scan on Monday.

7. elm

elm Mama

At my hospital they say it's 95% accurate - think that's partly so they don't get sued by someone who's been told the wrong thing! It saying on my notes that the gender has been determined with a level of 95% accuracy, it was pretty obvious that he's a he though x

8. princessellie

princessellie Pregnant with #3

at my second scan the woman told me that the gender thing is 80% so i guess it varies from hospital to hospital

9. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Mum-mum-mum-mum

Im not sure how accurate,but i think they wouldn't say unless they were pretty sure. With me they said they suspect its a girl, i suppose they cant guarantee it, but that was good enough for me.x

10. WelshGirl

WelshGirl Mummy at last!!

The lady who did my scan said that she doesn't tell people unless she's 98% certain......but as some others have said, I think a lot of it can be down to how experienced the sonographer is.

11. Sharpy

Sharpy Mammy to be!

My sonographer said this too - that he "suspects" its a girl and pointed out the 3 lines! I couldn't see past the tears (relief and joy) but hubby says the 3 lines were pretty damn clear and very obviously a girl!

xxx

12. OKgirl

OKgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Like melbo wrote in a more recent post, I get paranoid when then say " We can't be a 100% sure." Although she did point out the testicles, which I think is a dead giveaway. . . .:)

13. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

They dont tell you the gender here as they have been wrong and say that no one can read them 100% accurate. So I would be weary even if they hinted to me as some parents have gone ballistic at the hospital staff for buying wrong colours where I am so they stopped all the telling.

team yellow for me till the end. :(