Acid Reflux = No Sleep! Help!

Clareybeary

Pregnant #1
Reaction score
Well, for the past few nights I've been really restless; my acid reflux is driving me nuts! I feel like I can't sleep and I can't stop coughing with it and coughing really hard! I've just taken a few Gaviscon tablets and am sitting up but I am soooo tired I just want to lie down but I know it'll make it worse! Has anyone else had this? Is the liquid Gaviscon better than the tablet form do you know? I've heard that eating an apple after a meal helps too.

I haven't taken anything for it yet this time-- but last time, I know the liquid maalox seemed to work better than the chewables. :thumbup:
Also-- milk helps, don't eat less than four hours before bed if you can help it, and I have been eating an apple before bed and find that helps, too.
Good luck! You need your sleep!! :)

hey, im srry to hear that, but idk wat Gaviscon is but i have a really bad acid reflux and for the past month i was out of medication and i cudnt eat, rest, nothing helped then finally got prescribed Prevacid and it has helped greatly.

I wish i knew how to help cause im having the same problem! Milk sometimes helps me and tums.

Hi, I use Gaviscon daily for my heartburn, my hubby is a pharmacist and recommended this over other products (Tums don't work for me). I have both the liquid and the tablets and I think they work about the same. Just make sure you chew the tablets till they are completely foamy in your mouth before you swallow. Two tablets have always worked for me but if it's still bad, milk helps me a lot too.

If Tums don't work, I try eating a piece of bread and that can help. I hate milk and it hates me back. :)

I have suffered from heartburn pretty much my whole life. I take Zantac (which helps stop the acid production) but also try to avoid foods that trigger it, pastries, orange juice, tomato sauces etc. At night I mostly sleep propped up on pillows - one under shoulder blades and two under my head (if that makes sense?) the elevation helps keep it down. some people go as far as to put bricks under the top end of their bed as to elevate the whole bed, but this could be annoying for your partner.

Milk does help as a quick remedy but it can also stimulate more acid production.

All the best.

I swear by my Rennie's these days.. I start to get the familiar feeling of heartburn or acid reflux... munch on a couple of those and it's all gone within 15 mins. Excellent stuff.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I took two Gaviscon tablets in the middle of the night, sat up for about 15 minutes then went back to bed and fell asleep until morning!!! I've bought a bottle of Gaviscon today too which should help. I think I had a large meal last night about 3 hours before bed which gave me acid. Will try to eat earlier in the evening and also eat smaller, regular meals. Fingers crossed it's better tonight!

Good luck! It's awful. Gaviscon tastes disgusting, I just about retch taking it so sometimes just suffer through the heartburn. I read somewhere that pickled gherkins work. I've tried it and it works for me (not as well as gaviscon, but tastes a damn site better!) ;)

Asda has their own brand of Gaviscon, and it works a treat, I couldnt take Gaviscon as I didnt think it helped at all, try the Asda own brand (cannot remember the name) and drink loads of milk, I drink two glasses with each meal :) and try to stay awake until a few hours after you eat to give your tummy time to settle as the baby is pressing against the stomach, I hope you get some decent sleep soon petal :flower:

Tomato sauce is a huge trigger for me. I find peppermint tea helps before bed. I had a day full of sickness yesterday and my acid reflux was unbearable. The tea was a wonderful relief and soothed my throat.

my acupuncturist recommended papaya enzimes as a natural remedy for heartburn/acid reflux. I think they sell them at healthfood stores as pills or capsules.
I haven't gotten them yet because so far I've been feeling ok but will start looking for them soon.

Papaya! The fruit of slow-moving pregnancy tickers!! :haha:

Yes, tomato sauce is a huge trigger for me as well. Ugh. I actually almost had pizza for dinner tonight and remembered how much I suffered last time and changed my mind. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->