Active/Weight lifting moms?

loved2830

Baby #2 almost half way baked!
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Are any of you active during your pregnancies or were active prior to getting pregnant?

I workout 5x a week and 2 days a week I worked out 2x a day.

Now that I know I am pregnant I do not want to stop working out and I shouldn't but I feel like this is going to stunt my gains! lol :haha: sorry but I had major strength goals and finding out I was pregnant pretty much ruined my goals.

I've been lifting pretty heavy with squats at 175lbs and my goal was 225lb but I am sure I will not be able to do that with the little bean of mine.

Any other moms out there still hitting the gym hard?

I was a marathon runner, rock climber, weightlifter.

I stopped the running because of knee pain, not pregnancy pains. I know a lot of mommies who still run right now! Rock climbing I keep on doing (except, of course I have a chest harness instead of the one that squishes your belly and goes on your hips).

I ended up reducing the weights at the gym but - that was me. I was 110lbs pre preggers deadlifting 300lbs, squatting 275lbs... so I was just worried about injuring myself (I'm very go big or go home... and I'm so unlucky, I have had racks break, etc.), so I went lower personally because I didn't wanna risk dropping something on me, or doing a wrong back movement because like - baby kicks me or what not. Also, you don't wanna over push it, you could strain something or what not.

But these are all questions you can ask your doctor. usually they don't recommend a new activity when you're pregnant, but you were already doing it. Also depends if the pregnancy is going well or high risk.

You also don't want your heart rate too high for too long or you're gonna limit the blood supply to your little one. But there's nothing wrong with keeping up with your activities if all permits it, you just gotta adjust a little!

Good luck!

Oh wow you were a beast in the gym! Have you continued to work out your entire pregnancy?

I been active since DD came 2yrs ago and will continue now. I guess I could take it easy on the weights a bit.

Thank you for sharing and I will definitely be asking my doc when I see her in a few weeks.

Great thread. Meanwhile I'm here feeling too tired and nauseous to even get on my mat and do some yoga.
Totally need more motivation. Thanks ladies ❤

:wave:

I had stopped doing any serious lifting when I moved during my second pregnancy, but I continued to do HIIT on my treadmill. I usually get into second tri before it's just too much. I usually get my heart rate up to mid 160s and come down. Now with my fourth pregnancy I am working out 4 times a week, aiming to get my hr around 140-150. I think as long as you can keep a conversation while exercising you're supposedly okay. I've seen loads of women continue to marathon or Crossfit well into third tri, so you're likely okay to keep going.

Of course make sure your doctor/midwife is okay with it all :) Good luck!

the only time I do not feel nauseated is when I work out! lol try getting up and moving around it might make you feel better.

Great thread. Meanwhile I'm here feeling too tired and nauseous to even get on my mat and do some yoga.
Totally need more motivation. Thanks ladies ❤

I dont go over 165 bpm. I usually average between 140-160. I cant seem to slow down at the moment. I know I will have to eventually. That is great you are still working out! Lets keep this up so we can have a great bounce back after our babies are here!

:wave:

I had stopped doing any serious lifting when I moved during my second pregnancy, but I continued to do HIIT on my treadmill. I usually get into second tri before it's just too much. I usually get my heart rate up to mid 160s and come down. Now with my fourth pregnancy I am working out 4 times a week, aiming to get my hr around 140-150. I think as long as you can keep a conversation while exercising you're supposedly okay. I've seen loads of women continue to marathon or Crossfit well into third tri, so you're likely okay to keep going.

Of course make sure your doctor/midwife is okay with it all :) Good luck!

Hi! I was a runner and weightlifter. I was incredibly sick with HG the first 4 months of this pregnancy so I’ve just gotten back into a gym routine in the last 8-10 weeks. I’m now 26 weeks and I lift at least 3/4 days a week but I squat daily and do kettlebell swings a few times a week. I find that I experience pain when I don’t work out. My chiropractor gave me the go ahead and told me it’s best to keep up a routine to keep pain at bay. I also found that cardio helps with the breathlessness I’ve been feeling recently. My first pregnancy I worked out 6 days a week. My water actually broke an hour after leaving the gym haha. I definitely think my routine made a positive difference.

Great thread.ive been wanting to get back into my gym routine but I've been nervous about it. Doctor's seem to be pretty against weight lifting (and hot yoga) here, and I love both! My Dr told me to do light activity.... Like walks... I had only worked up to squatting 125 lbs when I found out I was pregnant. I expect I'll have to scale it back a bit from there. I just don't want to fall too out of shape!

BelleNuit, if your ticker is accurate and you are only 5 weeks I’m surprised your doctor told you to do light activity. Unless, of course, you have a history I clearly know nothing about. However, I was always advised that during the first trimester you can continue your pre-pregnancy routine because the baby isn’t big enough yet to cause any problems for you and because it would kind of shock you’re body to just stop. Then second trimester as you start to get bigger you can modify as necessary.

Docs here are overly cautious I think, especially if you experienced infertility before your pregnancy I think. I've never had a pregnancy before so I have no relevant history that should put me on light activity.

So ladies today is week 6 of my strength training challenge!

I am just retesting pullups today but tomorrow is my squat retest!

I am stuck between to reach that 200lb or go easy...

I am 8w+3 today...wish me luck for testing tomorrow! Baby bean will be lifting with me tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->