Adding rice cereal to bottle?

D

Divinebeauty

At what age do you start adding rice cereal? or do you not add it to the bottles?

Everything has changed since my LO 4 yrs ago, I never added it to his bottle at 4 months i started him on some from a spoon mixed with formula

Is it different now??

I've heard that you're not supposed to mix it in the bottle because it can be a choking hazard. I know that it used to be pretty commonplace to do it that way before; my mother in law even suggested it to me to get Alex to sleep through the night within the first month. But now they suggest that you wait to introduce rice cereals until four months, I believe.

Oh okay, so its the same? So when you introduce it you do it by a spoon? or you put it into the bottle at 4 months?

Hiya, at 4 months Jessica was eating every 2 hours and when we went to see the health visitor she told us to put her on a few spoons of baby rice and then her bottle it helped loads.

weaning should be held off till 6months...

Don't put rice cereal in the bottle at all.

If you give them cereal do it on a spoon

I started LO on rice for 3 days when he was 4 months old but i wasn't confident that he was ready. He's now 5 months and doing much better.

I never added it to his bottle! Some people will tell you "they did it all the time for their babies"... but you should always do it by spoon.

Babies need to be developmentally ready to eat cereal. We need to be sure they are able to hold their head up and have good swallowing reflexes otherwise it's a choking hazard and the rice could get in their lungs.

https://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-bottles-and-cereal?pagination=1

Here's a good link on it. They even mention it could teach your baby to overeat.

Ava had pretty bad silent reflux and early weaning can help we started at 17 weeks with a spoon and she took to it really well and is on 3 meals a day now plus 24oz of milk. They need to learn to chew and use their mouth muscles etc so best to avoid putting it in their bottle anyway.

Unless really needed exclusive breast or formula feeding is recommended to 6 months (or 24 weeks) :flower: xx

Thanks ladies!

I had no Idea it wasnt until 6 months! thank you for sharing the link as well! I wasnt sure if you were to add it to the bottles because I come on here and see so many GP saying to add rice cereal to bottles, so I was like oh maybe thats a way of introducing it now! Ill just wait until shes 5-6 months to try her out on it! Shes not an overly hungry baby anyways at the moment..

Ava had pretty bad silent reflux and early weaning can help we started at 17 weeks with a spoon and she took to it really well and is on 3 meals a day now plus 24oz of milk. They need to learn to chew and use their mouth muscles etc so best to avoid putting it in their bottle anyway.

Unless really needed exclusive breast or formula feeding is recommended to 6 months (or 24 weeks) :flower: xx

Great advice - though 6 months is 26 weeks not 24. :thumbup:

HV told me 24 weeks as you need to start weaning not before 17 weeks but before 24 weeks its in the NHS book in the UK called Birth to Five iron stores start to deplete after this time :flower: x

Thanks ladies!

I had no Idea it wasnt until 6 months! thank you for sharing the link as well! I wasnt sure if you were to add it to the bottles because I come on here and see so many GP saying to add rice cereal to bottles, so I was like oh maybe thats a way of introducing it now! Ill just wait until shes 5-6 months to try her out on it! Shes not an overly hungry baby anyways at the moment..

I have also received this recommendation and it's quite common for doctors of older generations who have not kept up with new research. Now, it is not recommended at all (for reasons already stated). The minimum age (barring medical reasons such as prematurity or acid reflux disease) is 17 weeks, and the general recommendation is around 26 weeks (either with baby led weaning, which uses no purees or spoon feeding, or traditional weaning which you are already familiar with [spoon feeding].

i know ur question has been answered but i put a crushed rusk into chloes night bottle as i did with both my boys and it works like a treat as she sleeps at least 10 hours through the night as for during the day if your baby needs solids by 4 months then my HV told me it was perfectly ok to do so and ive never looked back x

hope that helps you hunny x

i know ur question has been answered but i put a crushed rusk into chloes night bottle as i did with both my boys and it works like a treat as she sleeps at least 10 hours through the night as for during the day if your baby needs solids by 4 months then my HV told me it was perfectly ok to do so and ive never looked back x

She might have done that anyway, to be fair. My LO sleeps 10-11 hours at night and has done since she was 2 months old and I've never given her anything other than normal Stage 1 formula.

:flower:

How does this come through the teat?
I tried putting rice in my twins bottles as I did with my other little boy and he slept through the night from 8 weeks old. But it does not seem to have had any affect on the twins.

You should never add anything to bottles really. if you do want to give rice use a spoon. when my other 2 were weaned the age was 4 months so i started with baby rice on a spoon, but with this lo i am going to try and hold off weaning till 5 - 6 months. might not even bother using baby rice its a bit pointless really, but its what you always got told to do first back then.
i agree about it not helping to sleep thru the night. it depends on the baby and if you are lucky or not! my 1st baby slept thru from 8 weeks, and this lo has started sleeping thru at 3 months and they both only had normal milk nothing else

you should never add anything to bottles if you really feel your chilod needs to have rice creal before the age of weaning either give it on the spoon or buy hipp organic good night milk wich is very filling and does the same job as your trying to do with the rice in the milk. check the age on the hipp organic good nightmilk as not sure what it is.

as for it making los sleep through the night my lo slepat 10 hours from 4 weeks old and that was just on normal milk so if there going to sleep there going to sleep no matter weatehr you add rice or not

Well when Ellie was little i put rice in her bottle or rusk she is perfectly fine, IMO things with babies always change, rice and rusks in bottles was commonplace when i was a baby, and then weaning was changed to 4months, it was that when Ellie was little and now its 6months, the way i see it is if it was really really bad there wouldn't be so many people alive today after all my dad had rice in his bottle and so did my mum when they were babies and they are fine. But like i siad thats just IMO :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->