ADHD - Hereditary? ... my brain is fried!

Lulu1982

Reaction score
Hey ladies

I decided against the evil force which is Google and have come direct to you!:flower:

My OH was diagnosed with ADHD today:wacko:. I've done a bit of research about ADHD in adults and have to say it explains a LOT of things about him! He is forgetful and disorganised, he gets confused if we have an arguement because he normally can't remember what his last point was. He is very restless and is always busy or busy planning something to be busy doing! He has times where he might interrupt a conversation with something entirely inappropriate ... and so it goes on!

My questions is ... Is ADHD/ADD hereditary? I guess I'll be prepping myself with lots of info just in case either way. We will not be looking into any form of medication for OH ... he has always been this way, after all, and I suppose it made him the person I fell head over heels in love with :blush:. The same would go for our child if she were to inherit this condition.

I guess, looking on the bright side ... At least they can be hyperactive together! ;)

Any experiences appreciated! xx:flower:

I'm not sure if it can be hereditary but my nephew has it but he's the only one in our entire family that has ever had it.

hmmm no idea tbh...sorry to not give more info?

Can i be nosy though and ask how he went about being diagnosed though? Im SURE my OH has some form of ADHD/Autism, and so are his family, but its an awkward thing to bring up with him at the grand old age of 37??
His mother had lots of trouble with him when he was young but of course these things were not recognised back then.....

Yes, ADHD is hereditary, but it affects males more than females. A female can be a carrier if she's not showing signs of having it herself, and she can pass it onto her children.

My brother has ADHD, and therefore since I am his sister, I am a carrier. We have a daughter, and judging from her behaviour, I don't think she has it. There's a chance our next baby will have it, but she's also a girl, so there's less chance than if we had a boy, but it's still possible.

My brother is the only one so far to have been diagnosed with ADHD in our family, but we should remember that up until about 10 years ago many people thought it was just bad behaviour, and they refused to believe it was a genuine condition, so many people were written off as being troublemakers, and that's why we have a lot more people now with ADHD than in previous generations. My grandmother has dyslexia, and my dad too, and my brother. I think dyslexia often accompanies ADHD, so watch for that too.

If you suspect your child has it, speak to your GP. If they send you away, ask for a second and third opinion; many doctors still refuse to believe it's a condition, but if you're concerned you need to insist. There is a lot of help out there once it's been diagnosed. Unfortunately my brother was only diagnosed when he left school, so we didn't get much help for him.

In regards to medication, you have to make a decision based on the individual really. Obviously your OH has been living with it and he's coping without meds, so that's fine. But if your child has it and if it's a severe case, you may find that it disrupts their life, their schooling, their jobs etc. It's very easy to say you won't medicate, and I would be inclined to agree with you, because I don't like the idea of shovelling pills down a kid's neck, but if they're getting expelled from school, if they're getting into the wrong crowd, if they're unable to keep a job, then it may be that you have to consider it. But when the time comes, obviously. The chances are your child won't be affected; I think it's more likely to have a child without ADHD.

https://www.addandadhd.co.uk/adhd-hereditary.html

EDIT - you're welcome to PM me if you have any questions about this; now or in the future. I can't help you from a medical point of view, but I can help you from the point that I know what it's like to live with someone with the condtion.

I dont think ADHD works in a genetic way neccessarily- it doesnt have a specific gene or chromosome that is assigned to it. Your lo could have adhd, but I think that adhd is a set of behaviours and way of thinking that may or may not cause negative effects on a persona life. for ex, I would say my oh may have it, if you wanted to categorise him, but he has been that way his whole life and it has not caused him issues, or any issues that have caused him problems.
Its difficult to explain what I mean-your lo could naturally have those thinking patterns, which would mean it was genetic, but it could be argued that it is social- i.e. your lo sees your oh acting a certain way and adopts it themselves. ADHD is simply a label that psychiatrists have given to people that function think and behave it ways that they can call similar.
If your lo does have a set of behaviours and ways of thinking that could be called adhd, it is how you deal with them that matters. biofeedback is particularly good at managing adhd.
I wouldnt worry too much. I feel exactly the same, my oh never sits still and has a very active mind and that could potentially be the case for my lo but it doesnt matter as long as they are happy. good luck

p.s. I have done some research through work about the brains of people with adhd- more specifically they have a high 'theta/beta ratio' compared to other people :)

my oh had adhd and so far zane isnt showing any signs of having it, coreys abit too young to tell.

i really wouldnt worry

I have a degree in family therapy and worked extensively with ADHD. ADHD has some hereditary aspects to it. There is not one single gene that determines if someone will or will not have ADHD. It is a combination of genes combined with environmental factors (what those are, no one knows as of yet) that determine whether or not those genes are expressed. Someone can be what is called "gene loaded" or "predisposed" to ADHD, which just means that they have more of the genes associated with ADHD and may have at a higher risk to have it. A lot of the research suggests that if one parent has ADHD, the child has about a 20% chance on average of having ADHD, whereas if two parents have ADHD, the child has about an 80% chance of having it. That being said, it isn't something to worry about as of now. There is nothing that can done to prevent it. If your child reaches school age and starts to exhibit symptoms of ADHD, you can get an assessment done. Between school assistance, helping the child with organization, child therapy, and medication (which really is the best way to treat ADHD), your child will be successful. This is coming from someone who has adult ADHD and whose DH has adult ADHD. That might be why I was drawn to the field. :)

My brother has ADHD, and therefore since I am his sister, I am a carrier. We have a daughter, and judging from her behaviour, I don't think she has it. There's a chance our next baby will have it, but she's also a girl, so there's less chance than if we had a boy, but it's still possible.

this is not strictly true - you may or may not be a carrier. if he indeed inherited the condition from one of your parents, you would still have 50% chance not to have it (and this would be if only one gene was involved and if the condition was purely genetic). as far as i understand only a proportion of adhd cases is inherited, so it is more likely to involve many genes together with environmental factors.

Thank you everyone for your detailed replies! :)

Of course, we would have to see if our LO was to display any signs and take it from there. It's interesting to read your experiences!

Gemma. My OH had been being pulled up on the admin side of his job and just couldn't seem to get to grips with it (he is an Area Manager for a finance company so mistakes are not tolerated). A friend suggested being tested for Dyslexia as he sometimes has trouble puttig his thoughts into words (although his reports are always very clear and read well). He was tested by our local dyslexia centre and graded as 'severely dyslexic'.

His work then sent him for a further, in depth test (which I know was very expensive - £300 ish). The assessor said she thought his dyslexia was mild but that he definately has ADHD. As I say, it explains a lot about his personality!

Thank you again everyone, it's much appreciated!x

Oh that's interesting as he has been diagnosed with dislexia a good 10 or 15 years ago.
He seems to have problems with the social side of things sometimes ie what's appropriate etc and he is so clumsy.
He HATES change, and once after I spent two weeks decorating came home to find he had undone it all and brought all the old furniture back....just because was his reason when I asked why?
If I try to talk to him about something he doesn't want to, he either goes off to the pub, turns the tv/music up so he can't hear me, and has even stuck his fingers in his ears before now?!
Lots of people have made comments to me and his family about this, but how do you explain to a 6ft3" 37 year old that he needs to sort this out???

He has really trouble expressing and showing any sort of feelings unless he is angry? He shows you with gestures, but verbally you can forget it.....although ironically he is the polar opposite around my 5 year old niece.....constantly telling her he loves her etc?

this is not strictly true - you may or may not be a carrier. if he indeed inherited the condition from one of your parents, you would still have 50% chance not to have it (and this would be if only one gene was involved and if the condition was purely genetic). as far as i understand only a proportion of adhd cases is inherited, so it is more likely to involve many genes together with environmental factors.
I'm only repeating things I've heard over the years, so my apologies if some of the things I've said aren't accurate. I know it's possible for females to pass on ADHD to their children, even if they themselves show no signs of having it, and that would make them carriers. I therefore assumed that all females with ADHD in their families acted as carriers, as males would also be if they were within the same family yet didn't show signs of the condition themselves :shrug:

As far as I'm aware all ADHD is inherited; I heard it was inbuilt into a person before birth, and that perhaps environmental factors "brought it out" more in some people than others. And what I didn't say about others in my family with dyslexia is that they have also shown some of the signs of having ADHD, but they are of an older generation, when ADHD wasn't heard of and wasn't thought to be anything other than bad behaviour. Therefore unless they take a test we're never going to know if they have it too; and I really don't see my 87 year old grandmother taking a test like that :haha: So that's why I believe that in my family specifically, ADHD was inherited. Obviously I may be wrong; I've never studied it, I've only picked up shreds of information over the years :shrug:

I have ADHD, I was told by my neuropsychologist that it can be hereditary but so far my own kids seem to be ok :)

I'm only repeating things I've heard over the years, so my apologies if some of the things I've said aren't accurate.

that's what i thought and just wanted to clarify - sorry i didn't want to sound nasty!

I know it's possible for females to pass on ADHD to their children, even if they themselves show no signs of having it, and that would make them carriers. I therefore assumed that all females with ADHD in their families acted as carriers, as males would also be if they were within the same family yet didn't show signs of the condition themselves :shrug:

that's right, with any genetic condition, someone is a carrier if they do not show signs of the condition but they are able to pass it on. but you cannot assume that all the unaffected members of a family are carriers - they may just have 'normal' forms of the gene.

As far as I'm aware all ADHD is inherited; I heard it was inbuilt into a person before birth, and that perhaps environmental factors "brought it out" more in some people than others. And what I didn't say about others in my family with dyslexia is that they have also shown some of the signs of having ADHD, but they are of an older generation, when ADHD wasn't heard of and wasn't thought to be anything other than bad behaviour. Therefore unless they take a test we're never going to know if they have it too; and I really don't see my 87 year old grandmother taking a test like that :haha: So that's why I believe that in my family specifically, ADHD was inherited. Obviously I may be wrong; I've never studied it, I've only picked up shreds of information over the years :shrug:

i agree, for what you say it is very likely that adhd in your family is genetic and that your brother inherited from your grandmother through your mother/father. yet that does not mean you are definetely a carrier.
the point is, just because someone is affected (or carries the 'bad' gene) does not mean that they will pass it on to their offspring.

He definately sounds like he has some of the associated behaviours Gemma!

My OH is the clumsiest and most forgetful person I know, he makes himself angry because of it!

I'm lucky that he is very open to talking about it and has no troble voicing his feelings towards me but he does not take criticism well and often takes things that people say the wrong way.

Maybe you could mention to him that someone on the forum has an OH who has just been diagnosed at 30 and how suprising you thought it was that something could be undetected for so long/how much of a relief it must be to find out there are reasons behind clumsiness, forgetfulness etc ... Or something along those lines. Maybe it might spark is curiosity and lead him to have a look online?x

Yeah the subject definately needs to be broached....

His sister half mentioned it before and he agreed something is up :wacko:

Hey ladies

I decided against the evil force which is Google and have come direct to you!:flower:

My OH was diagnosed with ADHD today:wacko:. I've done a bit of research about ADHD in adults and have to say it explains a LOT of things about him! He is forgetful and disorganised, he gets confused if we have an arguement because he normally can't remember what his last point was. He is very restless and is always busy or busy planning something to be busy doing! He has times where he might interrupt a conversation with something entirely inappropriate ... and so it goes on!

My questions is ... Is ADHD/ADD hereditary? I guess I'll be prepping myself with lots of info just in case either way. We will not be looking into any form of medication for OH ... he has always been this way, after all, and I suppose it made him the person I fell head over heels in love with :blush:. The same would go for our child if she were to inherit this condition.

I guess, looking on the bright side ... At least they can be hyperactive together! ;)

Any experiences appreciated! xx:flower:

yes it is. HOwever it effect people diffrently. Both me and my fiance have had it since childhood.. mine effects mainly memory.. i forget things i did said, watched, or read.. i forget what im doing or the point im making while saying it. My fiance on the other hand has trouble with moving his attention from one task to the other, i have to turn off the tv or that radio sometimes after i asked a question 3 times and he still responds "what?". Both of us where diagnosed when they started diagnosing it which i think is the main cause of our lasting symptoms. He and i both where on ritalin, which was recalled... i was also diagnosed with anxiety and depression when i was in elementry school... so i was on even more experimental drugs before i was even 12. Both of us are now off all drugs and the symptoms drag on. Please please dont medicate your kids before they hit puberty. Dr's will tell you to but they just want a paycheck. Most times they dont properly moderate the young paiteints they perscribe drugs to, and can often perscribe enough to change your child's personality. I personally will never give my children meds. Cognative therepy can work wonders.. and learning to live with your obsticals are a long term treatment that will never get recalled.

There is a documentry out right now called " Generation RX" it's an inside look at the people who have medicated their kids for one thing or another. SOmetimes these "syndroms" arnt actually presant in the patient and are just the result of a medication they are perscribed, which leads to more perscriptions. I know medicated people might jump on me for this but i was there in person for over 10 years. I'm saying from my experience those drugs messed me up, and instead of growing out of the issues i had they got worse and worse until i took myself off the drugs. Do your reasearch, lots of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->