Adult meals from sachets....for baby?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by LPF, Jun 2, 2011.

1. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

I usually make the odd dish using a sauce sachet or jar. I'm thinking of chilli con carne using mince, onions, passata, kidney beans and a colemans sachet. How would I know if I can try lo with it? I'm rubbish at knowing what ingredients on the back of a packet means!!

Same with the odd casserole. Sometimes I make it from part ingredients but sometimes just add a sauce. I'd like to just hook out a portion and freeze a bit for lo when i'm cooking but I don't know if thats possible.

2. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

You need to check the salt content. The max is a gram a day (if it states sodium multiply by 2.5 (not 4 as I stated haha) I think)

I cook my own chilli, have never used a sachet myself for that. Just mince, onion, pepper, chopped toms, tom puree and chilli powder. Easy :)

With alot of these things I think they eat so little of it I don't worry too much about the salt content xx

3. bambino156

bambino156 Mummy

As anna matronic said, watch out for the salt content it is usually very high in these kind of sachets/packets. Also, I believe to work out the salt content when it is listed as sodium it is 2.5 x sodium = salt content.
    I agree that lo would probably eat so little that the actual amount of salt would be minimal, however, i've always thought that I don't want lo getting a liking for food with lots of salt added, because one day she won't just be eating a small portion!

4. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

How much salt is too much?

5. bambino156

bambino156 Mummy

Babies up to the age of 1 should have no more than 1g (which is equivalent to 0.4g sodium) salt per day, this increases to 2g per day for over 1's. Something is considered high salt if it contains 1.5g of salt (0.6g sodium)per 100g, low salt is considered to be 0.3g or less per 100g, hope this makes sense x