Advice about IVF whilst being a student!

LilMinx

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I haven't posted on the forums for a long time but last friday, my husband and I were told we would be referred for IVF after TTC for 3 years.

Long story short. I have PCOS, tried clomid for a year with no success and once I lose my last 5 pounds(almost 2 stone lost!) we will be referred. We have picked Bourn Hall and as they work in partnership with James Paget hospital, we could attend some appointments there.

I would really welcome any advice or opinions as I am feeling a bit overwhelmed....

I currently work full time but for the last two years I have been studying on an access course part time with a view to becomming a midwife. It is something I have always wanted to do but I have put it off thinking we would start a family first. Sadly that wasn't to be.
Anyway, I applied to three universities, never expecting to even get an interview. I was offered a place by two of them and put on the reserve list for the third. I have accepted the place with my local university, my first choice and now I am starting to worry about having to take time off for appointments etc.

Does anyone have any experience of being a student whilst having IVF??
I am scared that they could kick me off the course! We have clinical placement and blocks of academic study and they seemed very strict about missing either. I know that it's going to be a lot more demanding than other degrees because of the shift work and there will be no long summer holidays etc. I would obviously have to take a year out if I got pregnant but would not want them to think that I am not serious about being a midwife.

I am 33 this year and can't wait until after I qualify as I will be 36 and our chances of having a baby will be decreased even further.

I feel as if I can't be happy about either prospect at the moment, starting IVF or starting the midwifery degree because I feel so on edge about everything.

xxx

Awww no students. This doesn't bode well for me! :cry:

For those of you who have had IVF, how many appointments do you generally have?

xxx

hi hun weve nt strted ivf yet but will be havin it end of nxt year wen im 23 we also wil be at jph and bourn hall

xx

im not sure about uni but i was a college student nd unfortunately got kicked off my course for all my fs appointments nd i havent even started my ivf yet, sorry to tell you the bad news but maybe uni is different and will understand your predicament more then my college did! xx

princes,,, how u gettin on sweetie
i rember u from another thread x

not to bad thanks keepsmiling, got my first appointment at my ivf clinic on friday :D really nervous and excited :D

how are you?? xx

im good just got an app thru to c fs to tlk bout next steps bfore ivf,, x

Thank you both for replying :hugs:

keepsmiling - it's nice to know someone else who will be going to the same place :) x

princess - Thank you for that. My job have been understanding about going to see FS and having time off for blood tests and appointments etc so I know they would have been fine with me having the treatment but I imagine it's very different when you are studying for a degree! :wacko:
Maybe it's worth me speaking to student services and asking their advice??

xxx

Oh and best of luck for your first appointment! Let us know how it goes! x

lilminx where abouts r u from if u dnt mind me askin
pm if u want to xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member