Advice about pre-term contractions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Willma, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Willma

Willma Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I just wanted to share my experience with you all so you can be more aware than I was in this situation.

I experienced premature contractions at 28 weeks, I had three in thirty minutes. They started like a stabbing pain at the top of my uterus about 3 inches above navel and spread all over my stomach within seconds, my entire abdomen went hard and it was very painful. This happened for three days. I rang the delivery suite and they asked if I had pain urinating or changes to urine flow which I didn't have. Luckily I already had a appointment with my doctor first thing the following morning so they just said make sure she does a through examination and ring if you have anymore.

I went to the doctor and she discovered that my bladder was enlarged and painful plus found loads of White blood cells and protein in my urine.

I had a nastly bladder infection and the spasms in the bladder were triggering the uterine contractions. I had no idea a bladder infection could cause pre term contractions. All my symptoms had been masked by pregnancy so I had no idea.

I had a course of antibiotics and the contractions have now stopped :thumbup: