Advice for my sister please

Beanbabe

Reaction score
Hi girls. i dont normally post in here (but hopefully in two weeks I will be a bf mum again lol) I need some advice for my sister and hope someone can help.

Basically her story is her litttle boy will be 4 weeks on Wed. She has put an awfull lot of effort into bf him. He dropped a lot of weight in the first few days after being born and was not gaining for the first two weeks so in pops the top up's.

A combination of a useless public health nurse and well meaning relatives made her paranoid and she decided to express and bottle feed ebm with top ups as required. Over the weekend after pumping all last week she got him back on the breast and feeding every two and a half hours with no top ups. She was delighted.

Today she had to go back to gp for a second course of antibiotics cos her c-section scar is badly infected.

The antibiotics are not compatible with breastfeeding and so she has to stop while taking them

Is there any tips you can give me for her to help her get through this. Is there any way that the baby will go back on the breast after a week of ff. How can she reestablish bf afterwards and is it possible to do this considering she has a three year old and a 20 month old as well.

She is totally gutted and any advice you can give her will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :flower:

What is the antibiotic? I was put on one unsuitable for exclusive bf (being allergic to penicillin is a pain!), but as was combofeeding due to low milk so was given the ok to take it and carry on bf. It did upset my little ones tummy some, but after I was done the course it was ok...I was on metronidazole (flagyl) and something else ...sorry forgot the other one.
If she doesn't want to the only thing to do is pump and dump sadly...If not cup or syringe feeding, just stick to slow flow teats, and don't hold the bottle vertically.

Im sure they are antibiotics you can take while BF so id get her to go back to her doctor and get them changed.

Its going to depend a lot on the baby. In the NICU Charlie had to take formula and breast milk by bottle, I was so afraid he wouldnt want the breast again and yes, it was hard to get him back on it but I decided to let him fuss it out and not give in and we were breast feeding fine in no time at all. In order to keep her supply up she is going to have to work hard and pump a LOT, maybe more than the baby would be eating even since the pump is less efficient at getting milk out. She will have to dump the milk which is sooo hard but then she will be back to breast feeding again and hopefully baby just takes it with no problems. The trick is like bky said, to get slow flow teats and make it harder for baby to get the milk out to mimic more like the breast

There are zillions of antibiotics which are compatible with breastfeeding. https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html

Thanks girls. The doctor swabbed her wound and the infection is resistant to a lot of antibiotics. the swabs showed that the ones she has been given are the only ones suitable

Bky - she is on flagyl and something else. maybe it is possible for her to mix feed for the week. I will suggest it to her and see what she thinks.

Thanks

Also I read somewhere that after she has the antibiotica to eat pro biotic yoghurts to helf the friendly bacteria in her gut recover and this also benefits the bubba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->