Advice needed about my dog *O/T*

I sounds to me like she is upset by the move. Dont be too hasty about wonderin what to do with her over a few accidents!!!!!! I hope it works out for you and she is soon her happy self :)

no shes not insured, its somthing were looking into after christmas, and she generally wont go to the toilet if anyone is watching lol

Well, hopefully you won't be too stuck if you take her to the vets then. If the vet finds nothing, then the best bet is to give her as much time to settle as she needs, and tons of reassurance - I'm not talking about praising the accidents, but reassuring her the rest of the time and making a massive fuss of her when she wees in the right place. If she starts weeing in her own bed overnight, then you can be pretty sure it's proper incontinence rather than a behavioural/insecurity thing.

If I lived anywhere near you I'd be more than happy to come over and give you a hand with her :) Have a read through some good dog psychology sites or invest in a decent book.

will try, she seems to trust me more than other people so she may let me get a sample, ive got good at catchin pee in tubs over the last 8 months :D i'll have a chat with the OH see if he can take her for walks at least on his day of or come with me to pick the poop up... hopefully she will be ok over the weekend and i wot get any more 'surprises'
xx

Even if you do get any surprises, don't get disheartened by it or blame her. If it's physical.....well, many pregnant ladies know what that feels like and wouldn't be happy being blamed for it. Being spayed (or being ill) can have the exact same effects and it's not her fault. If it's a nervous/insecurity thing then you may well need to give her an awful lot more time than just a couple of weeks. Walking her may give her back a bit of routine, but don't expect it to have much impact on the weeing - it might, but chances are it won't.

Have you got a garden? If so, you can get her to poo before you walk her :)

Can I ask why she left your mum's in the first place?

should i still tell her of so she knows its wrong?
She was spayed about 4 years ago when she has a c-section as she has a small birth canal so would that only just start affecting her now?
yeah we have a big back garden, i will try it later and then take her for a walk.
She is my dog, i did leave her with my mum but as she is getting old she kept snapping at the other dogs for wanting to play with her as she isnt up to it so i had her for a quieter life, the other dogs are a 4 yr old male and a (nearly) 1 year old female so are still really playful, plus i was getting lonely as my OH goes out to work all day and i dont know anyone around here to keep me company (ive moved 20ish miles away from all friends and family) so mum suggested i had her for company.

No! This isn't a naughtiness/housetraining issue, please don't tell her off.

The effects of spaying can happen at any time. I currently have two dogs, one a female, and she was spayed at around the same age as yours. By the time she was 6 she was having very intermittent nighttime incontinence, and now she's 11 she's a complete liability. She can only have limited treatments, which for us haven't proved 100% effective, so it's something we just live with (admittedly, I've never allowed dogs upstairs...I have working breed dogs and operate a strict pack here). Yes, it's a pain in the bum to clear up and live with, but she's elderly and can't help it at all.

6 isn't old for a staffie by any means, she's only about middle-aged. If she's only just started doing this since moving in with you, the chances are it's purely behavioural. Shouting at her for it will just reinforce the nervousness and you'll end up with a problem that spirals. You need to praise her tons each time you send her out for a wee - make a massive fuss - and just ignore any accidents in the house. If she's not really done this before the move, she'll settle in time. Make sure you spend time with her - don't fuss her when she's nervous as that will just tell her she was right to be nervous about something (dogs don't take comfort from that the way a kid does), but make sure she feels secure.

Impose some boundaries as the pack leader - it might not seem like it but having rules and routines actually makes a dog feel more secure. Remember they're pack animals - you're in charge and you determine everything. Some dogs can become incredibly nervous when they feel there isn't anyone in charge - in the wild a pack without a leader would be in serious trouble.

Does all that make sense or have I just waffled on? Feel free to PM me if you need any detailed advice. Dog psychology is a bit of a hobby of mine...when it comes to my cats though I'm as clueless as the next person :D

you have been a great help, ill sit OH down soon and explain to him not to tell her of for it and praise her when she goes outside :) well when the wasp goes i will lol.
I'm more of a cat person myself but my OH said he wouldnt let it in the house if i came home with one, hes got a 'phobia' of them apparently.
I'm trying to talk him into letting me get bringo an elderly friend to keep her company seen as she has always been used to toher dogs but hes not having any of it atm
thanks so much
xx

No problem, any time :D

Another dog would probably be a great comfort, but both people have to be on-board for that to work otherwise you'll just end up doing absolutely everything and possibly create even more behavioural problems. I speak from experience here with an ex of mine who was desperate we get a dog (I've always had dogs so was very keen anyway) and then it turned out it wasn't a living creature he wanted, it was more that he wanted an inanimate object he didn't actually have to do anything with when it didn't suit him (he was a childish moron anyway). Not saying that would apply in your case, but it can cause difficulties.

i do everything with bringo anyway... hence why my OH cant control her lol, so that wouldent bother me... its something to thing about for after LO is born i suppose as im sure bringo will feel left out as baby will be getting all the attention of visitors and not her, i may just get one while hes at work... i wear the trousers so he would get over it :hehe:

i wouldnt get another dog just yet! remember you have a baby on the way and getting another elderly dog in its self may cause more problems.
Once baby arrives you will have even less time than you have now, and it would be advisable to get your hubby involved in training her so that she knows he is also above her in the pack, also if you end up with a caeasarian (hopefully not) you will not be able to walk her for about 6 weeks.

If you want her insured you must do it asap before she sees the vet fr the unrinary problem other wise they may exclude that as a pre-existing condition.

It could be linked with spaying as that can cause incontinence and also as you say she is older that could be the problem, which can usually be helped if your vet prescribes Propalin drops or the equivalent, helps the sphincter muscle.

I know what you mean, but don't believe all the tabloid nonsense about dogs not being able to cope with new babies. The critical thing here is that Bringo knows her place in the pack - that doesn't involve being mean in any way, it's about setting boundaries. Once the baby arrives, you will need to make time for your dog too but if she feels secure in the pack (can't stress this enough) then you shouldn't have issues. People go often wrong on two fronts: first, they treat their dogs like babies/children and let them do what they like. This can be fine for a while, but when a baby comes along and suddenly things change it's unfair to expect the dog to understand that. Dogs need pack structure and humans should always be placed above the dog. (My dogs are my absolute babies, but they're not treated like babies - they have very firm boundaries in place and know I'm in charge). Secondly, loads of people seem to be clueless about being a pack leader. That's fine if your dog is naturally extremely submissive, but almost all dog bites happen because the dog has no real pack structure and has no clue it shouldn't nip (in a dog pack, nipping is a way of putting other dogs in their place....they just do more damage to humans because we've got a different type of skin structure).

If you OH can't control Bringo, then she doesn't respect him, doesn't feel secure with him and doesn't seem him as being above her in the pack, as she should. You should sort that out too if you can - there are lots of ways of establishing a pack structure :)

(I really am waffling on today....can you tell dogs are a favourite topic of mine? :D)

lol, he does try, but gives in and says 'kim you sort her' he hasnt got the strength to tell her off or be in charge, he blames her eyes lol. As far as im concerned i will have two children when baby is born, she wont be pushed out by me, i am trying to cut down on how she gets attention such as she has to be invited to get attention now and cant just climb over me to get it, i think shes just stubborn like me lol

You're making the right start! It is very much like having a kid - don't tolerate from a dog what you wouldn't from a child. Don't let her push past you in doorways, make her sit for food/treats, don't let her demand anything....always on your terms. Your OH needs to do the same thing - being a pack leader isn't about shouting at the dog, it's about controlling the pack the way it would be controlled in the wild. You decide where, when, what etc. Humans eat first, dogs eat afterwards....that goes for LO too when he arrives. Make sure the dog sees all this or it's somewhat pointless. If you allow the dog on the sofa, invite her up don't just let her up when she likes - some dogs don't see sofas as a privilege and there's no problem, but for other dogs it's a real status thing and you can end up with a dog that grumbles or growls at you when you tell it to get off....not because the dog's 'nasty' in any way, but because they don't see why they should get off....in their minds they're clearly equal to you, if they weren't they figure they'd have boundaries. Does that all make sense? It's about judging your dog and acting accordingly - one of my dogs really wouldn't change if she was allowed on the sofa or not, the other one would start feeling quite above himself if he could do what he liked in the house.

If you want her insured you must do it asap before she sees the vet fr the unrinary problem other wise they may exclude that as a pre-existing condition.

Yup, and bear in mind that most policies don't cover medical conditions during the first 14 days.

I know when money's tight pet insurance doesn't seem like a priority but in the 3 years since I adopted Dozer (he's 10 now), he has cost my insurance company around £2000 having mast cell tumours removed and treating his arthritis etc. So the £10 a month or so I pay AXA has proved very good value for money!

You've gotten some good advice here so I won't repeat any of it. As far as your OH not being able to control her when he's walking her, I'd highly recommend a prong collar. I know they're not very popular over in the UK, but if you do a little research, you'll find out that they're actually safer/better for your dog than a choke collar or even a regular collar. If your dog pulls a lot, the latter types of collars can cause tracheal damage. Fitted and used properly, a prong collar can make walking a usually unruly dog an absolute dream and both you and your dog end up enjoying the experience a whole lot more.

Really? That's a shame! Well, there are also other collar types like the Halti that are worth looking into as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->