Advice needed from people working with children please

jillypoop

Mummy of one
Reaction score
Hey :)

I'm thinking of going back to college in September to study an NVQ in something child related (not sure which one, going to college open day this afternoon!) but apart from knowing I want to work with kids, not sure what I want to do.

I'm really just looking for some advice from anyone that works with kids as to what particular job I could do.

I'm thinking nursery nurse but that is apparently quite badly paid, and although it's not all about the money I want to be on a comfortable amount so that we aren't struggling like we are now!

Any help would be really really appreciated! Mind is a bit boggled.

Also, it needs to be a job that I can do at most part time once we have a LO (or two!)

Thanks guys, I know I'm always here asking for everyone's advice but really need it today :blush:
:hug:

I'm a nanny which is something you could do. I take my kids with me and I work 2 days a week. You could find a family where you're only needed part time as alot of mums only go back part time themselves so it could work well with you. I love it as you have that extra bit of freedom where you wouldn't in a nursery. Before I had my second I worked 2 days for one family and 3 days for another x

I would say become a nanny or a childminder, the pay is better than a nursery or a creche so i fond out lol. I worked in childcare for 6 years but now i'm trying to get in to nannying but cant find any decent agencies :(

Maybe we should start our own!!! hehe

I'm trying to decide whether I really want to work with children or if I am just wanting to do it to fill the child shaped hole in me because we haven't got kids yet :(

I think I need to talk to a careers adviser person, but the only ones I can find are connexions and I'm too old for them now :(

Didn't end up going to the college open day as its actually next week! Slight blonde moment lol

xxx

Hiya,

I have been a Nursery Nurse for 6 years and if you're looking into it then an NVQ is a great place to start. My advice would be to read up on current issues in Early Years before you start a placement so you know a bit about what to expect. It is a very hard job with a lot more involved than most people realise, but if you have a passion for it then go for it! Pay varies quite a lot, but as with most things, you work your way up. If you have any questions I will try to help! Good luck!

Hey hun
I am a teacher and certain love my job and working with children. As other ladies have said i think a NVQ is a good place to start. Perhaps look on local authority website for some useful information. Is there anyone you know already working with children in your area, that you could speak to?
If you need any more info pm me.

I'm a bit unsure of what to do now, as soon as I suggest it to people I'm close to (i.e. family and close friends) they have been shocked and basically don't think I should do it. This isn't putting me off but it's making me think about it a bit more. I thought about a primary school teacher but my sister is planning on doing this and not sure if I would be any good at it. I know I wouldn't be able to do secondary school after what I went through there!
Pinkgirl-are you a primary or secondary school teacher?

The thing that puts me off being a nursery nurse is what my sister told me after doing work experience at a local nursery. She basically said she was mind-numbingly bored the whole week, although the kids were cute she got bored of doing the same stuff every day. Obviously this is just what she experienced in a very small nursery and I know that it isn't the same in all nurseries but my sister and I are very close and very similar so not sure if that is for me.

I'm thinking more about primary school teaching, apparently you need a degree in something like english, maths or science and then a type of top-up on top of that?

thanks

xxx

im a teacher, i teach 11-14 year olds, its a good job, is very rewarding at times but is also a lot of work and stress as well! xx

jillypoop, I think the most popular pathway to become a primary school teacher is to study a degree plus a PGCE. You also need GCSEs at C grade or above in English and Maths. HTH!

Hiya i work at a school for children with special needs and am doing my NVQ3 in care.
If you get preg they move you to a safer unit and let you come back part time if thats what you want.... x

Thanks girls for all the help and ideas, I've got a lot to think about now!! Need to decide what to do with my life, scary decision but it all rests on getting a job which isn't looking too positive right now :(

xxx

Okay guys, am in the middle of applying for a trainee nursery nurse and am stuck on what to put in a few questions, any chance of some help??

thanks xxx

Wow you work quickly! ;) What questions do you need help with?

Aw well I emailed someone at kidsunlimited and they got back to me telling me that there was a vacancy that I was suitable for and spent about 2 hours going through the form!!!
Its as a nursery assistant and they train me up so its like an apprenticeship apparently. I probably have no chance and its at the other end of the country which means living with my cousin until OH can relocate but I'd love the chance to do something like that! It's so exciting thinking I could do that but OH seemed a bit iffy, which I suppose is understandable!

thanks anyway hun

xxx

I did childcare at first and left it as i was sooooo bored. D ont get me wrong i love working with children but the manager where i worked gave us no responsability(it was a small nursary that only took 30 kids per session) I have more intalect (sp?) that what she game me credit for, we had no say in planning activitys and it was the same thing day in day out. I now work with adults with autism ranging from aspergers to people who have severe autism who cant talk. No day is the same and you have a lot more responsability and my employers now value my oppinion

I used to nany too, and before that I worked in a private day care nursery in the baby room :cloud9:

I have the Diploma in Childcare and Education level 3-think its the equivelent of the NVQ?

You can also work in the Neonatal units with a NVQ qualification :baby:

Good Luck whatever you decide to do-and enjoy! Childcare is one of the most fun and entertaining jobs in the world!! x x

Aw well I emailed someone at kidsunlimited and they got back to me telling me that there was a vacancy that I was suitable for and spent about 2 hours going through the form!!!
Its as a nursery assistant and they train me up so its like an apprenticeship apparently. I probably have no chance and its at the other end of the country which means living with my cousin until OH can relocate but I'd love the chance to do something like that! It's so exciting thinking I could do that but OH seemed a bit iffy, which I suppose is understandable!

thanks anyway hun

xxx

sounds great hun, shame its so far away. You still applying hun?
x

I've applied but not sure whether I'll even get an interview and unsure as to whether I'll take it or not.

My mind is pretty messed up at the moment, been to college this morning for the open day thing.

My two choices are to go down the childcare route and become a nursery nurse/childminder or to go down the catering course (which is something that I have been thinking about since about 15yrs old) which would mean being at college for 2 years. At the moment I am thinking catering because I have been thinking about doing it for so long and it will give me more chance to earn a bigger salary as well as suiting my personality a bit more. I get bored very easily and think that I would find work in a nursery a bit too repetitive if that makes sense?

Just need to find a job in the evenings and weekends to fund it!

Thanks for the advice girls

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"