Advice needed on Controlled crying PLEASE (UPDATE P4 POST #35 ON HOW LAST NIGHT WENT

Not much i can add to the fab advice Ellers has given you but wanted to say good luck and cc worked wonders for us! After 4 nights Poppy was sleeping for at least 9 hours and she is still a wonderful sleeper now, we get a minimum of 13 hours sleep. If you are comfortable doing it then go for it! It's obviously not easy but, in our case at least, it worked very well xx

we did CC around your LO's age and it worked wonders for her sleep. we started with a bedtime routine and then went in after 3, 5 then 7 min intervals, but never longer. it worked within 3 nights - first night was 20 mins, next 10 mins then onwards she went straight to slee. she has found her thumb since then and uses this as comfort. maybe your LO needs a comfort blanket / toy to associate with sleep if you don't want a dummy. It's tough to do, but it gets easier and we got great results.

PS: sometimes they hit a developmental phase though and the sleep can still regress. we had this recently with increased mobility. in this case you will find cc doesnt work until the phase is over

The best time to do this (although my timing is rubbish - since today is Sunday), is at a weekend (ie start Friday evening): then your OH can help out and you can both catch up on sleep over the weekend.

Be strong and good luck :hugs:

That's a very good point, thanks

I'm not a fan of CC so can't help with it. But I know it doesn't suit all babies and if your LO is getting that worked up, he's one of them

My lo went through the same sort of thing at your lo's age. For me, it was just a case of riding it out.

Thanks Hun -'when did things get better for you?

Can't really advise on the CC but my LO was exactly as you have described at 5 months, we just went with it, yeah it was endless and lasted around 5-6 weeks but we got through it. We took him into bed with us and he settled no problem after that. I was concerned that he would get used to it and not go back into his cot but he went back into his own room when he was ready and sleeps through in there no problem now.

Hmm that's interesting, maybe just a phase then you think?

I really don't know hun, I can only tell you what my experience has been with my LO, as we all know they are all very different! But yeah, for Stephen I think it was the 4 and 6 month regression/growth spurt merged into one! I may be wrong but that's what I think. I know that if I had left him to cry it would have solved nothing during that time as he wasn't not sleeping to be bad, he just couldn't for whatever reason. It was really tiring and frustrating but like I say it passed.

Now for you I don't know if it's the same thing and I am in no way judging you, I'm sure you are a fab mummy but sometimes there can be other reasons behind their behaviour... not that I'm any kind of an expert!! lol

The best thing I did was decide to chill out, go with the flow, do what I had to to get a sleep and think he's not going to be a baby forever and for me that was letting him into our bed for a few weeks, in the grand scheme of life it's no big deal. For you it might be CC, do whatever gets you by!

Good luck and let us know how you get on whatever you decide x

It's so hard to know what to do for the best, it's just he has never been a good sleeper and last week has just been the worst yet! Part of me thinks I have to do this, but the other part says let him do it in his own time.
But then I know people who have kids which still aren't sleeping past 1 year old and I really don't want to be in that position if I can knock it on the head now if you know what I mean...

It's so hard!!

I know, it can be a flipping nightmare at times. Like I said, do what you feel is right hun, you know your LO better than anyone. Sometimes they are just little monkeys sent to try our patience!! lol

Wow another couple of mummies where it worked really quickly! Did your LO's only cry or getting a right state screaming? Toby really works himself up and gets into such a state, maybe that will pass...?!?!

maybe your LO needs a comfort blanket / toy to associate with sleep if you don't want a dummy.

This is a fab bit of advice! Didn't think to add but this was one of the things we did at the same time as starting cc. We bought Poppy a Seahorse (Sally) which is very much like the Gloworm toys from years ago, we would put this on for her, give her her Roo comfort blanket and say 'Night night, it's sleep time'. This routine helped us recently too when we put her into a big bed rather than her cot, at first she got out and played but when we put her down with Roo and Sally and said 'Night night, it's sleep time' she knew she wasn't to get up and didn't.

Duh!!! I completely forgot to. We give LO the seahorse as well, the pink one. Turn it on and she puts her hand on it whilst falling asleep it turns off after about 5 mins I think. :)

maybe your LO needs a comfort blanket / toy to associate with sleep if you don't want a dummy.

This is a fab bit of advice! Didn't think to add but this was one of the things we did at the same time as starting cc. We bought Poppy a Seahorse (Sally) which is very much like the Gloworm toys from years ago, we would put this on for her, give her her Roo comfort blanket and say 'Night night, it's sleep time'. This routine helped us recently too when we put her into a big bed rather than her cot, at first she got out and played but when we put her down with Roo and Sally and said 'Night night, it's sleep time' she knew she wasn't to get up and didn't.

sorry thought I had replied to fluffpuffin post, maybe not, sorry. Yes he has a comforter when I always give to him, put it in his hand etc if he let's go give it back to him etc, that doesn't seems to be working at the mo...maybe it will take time, he has had it for about 3 weeks

sorry thought I had replied to fluffpuffin post, maybe not, sorry. Yes he has a comforter when I always give to him, put it in his hand etc if he let's go give it back to him etc, that doesn't seems to be working at the mo...maybe it will take time, he has had it for about 3 weeks

It will take time but eventually he will associate it with sleep time, perhaps say a particular phrase to him also? As for crying, the first few nights Poppy worked herself into a real state but each night it got less and less xx

Isla got herself into a bit of a state as well, and she got more hysterical when I came back in to comfort / reassure her, but I could tell it was working because after the first 15 minutes she'd go quiet for a bit inbetween the crying, eventually the crying got less and less and the quiet spells got longer. then the last time I went in to sush her, reassure her and tuck her in she curled up into her sleeping position and went to sleep.

Awww hun :hugs: Well, I can't say much as I never did CC except I'm on the west coast here and I'll probably be around to chat at night if you need :( Good luck!!

I decided I would try it - he woke at 10:45 and I have been doing it since then, he has just this minute gone quiet and I'm not due to go into him for another 2 minutes (we are on 7 minute intervals at the mo) fingers crossed he has gone to sleep now. I will update in the morning as to how the whole night went, or maybe when I'm up later with him doing it again lol

I feel quite upset by it but very positive at the same time :hugs:

Haven't read all replies but wanted to wish you luck. I'm of the opinion that you need to help lo 'learn' positive sleep patterns and behaviours and sticking a dummy in their mouth or rocking them to sleep won't get you anywhere in the long term (after a certain age anyway!)

We are doing pupd at the moment and it's helped me realise that I was a barrier to lo sleeping and the longer it goes on the worse it would get.

There is evidence that hours of disrupted sleep for babies is much worse for them than a few nights crying if it works. There's also evidence that cc isn't damaging if it's done right.

I too feel that I don't want lo to still have poor sleep habits at 1 or 2 and even if it's tough it's my job to help him 'learn'

Hi ladies thanks for the encouragement last night, I went with it and he woke at 10.45 we did CC until he tired himself out at 11:54....

....I haven't heard a peep from him since and it is nearly 7am...!!!! WOW

Let's hope this is the start of us getting some sleep now.

Cant wait for him to wake up now though, mummy needs a big hug and I'm sure baby does too :thumbup:

Will update as to how I get on tonight aswell - thanks again :hugs: xx

Haven't read all replies but wanted to wish you luck. I'm of the opinion that you need to help lo 'learn' positive sleep patterns and behaviours and sticking a dummy in their mouth or rocking them to sleep won't get you anywhere in the long term (after a certain age anyway!)

We are doing pupd at the moment and it's helped me realise that I was a barrier to lo sleeping and the longer it goes on the worse it would get.

There is evidence that hours of disrupted sleep for babies is much worse for them than a few nights crying if it works. There's also evidence that cc isn't damaging if it's done right.

I too feel that I don't want lo to still have poor sleep habits at 1 or 2 and even if it's tough it's my job to help him 'learn'

Thanks Hun, I hope all goes well with your PUPD method of sleep training too...we will get there in the end and it will benefit all of us and i think we will all be alot happier :thumbup:

Congrats!! That's brilliant! I bet after so much good sleep your lo will be much brighter today!

Hi Hun

Glad last night wet ok - keeP strong it will get better!

X

Congratulations!

That is about the same, timings-wise, when we first did it. INCREDIBLY tough, but the benefits are huge (to everyone). The next two nights got progressively a lot better. Stick with it :hugs:

Hope that you feel better fir the sleep, have a great day :)

Congrats on your first good night. Hope it continuesxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->