advice needed on poop control!

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
I put tom on baby rice on the advice of my doc and HV and he loves it soooo much! he laughs and talks with his mouth full more than any other time of the day!

and....his poops are now regular, but a little too regular! he poops once a day and really struggles with it. So i have been trying to give him water - not interested. Fruit flavour water - not interested. if i increase the water in his bottles, then he has to have less milk and he usually has 8oz anyway!

So, i was holding off until 5 months to introduce other foods, but i think fruits are needed to counteract the rice to help his bowels. Has anyone found this and have any useful tips?? regardless of age!

Should i alternate rice with fruit? or give him one serving of fruit a day and three servings of rice?? Got a sweet cooking apple tre ein my garden so i have no shortage of apples!

He normally has a full tablespoon of baby rice with an 8oz bottle 4 times a day.

Have you tried some veg? I know a few veg's make people need to go.. :blush: :rofl:

I think if you boil some carrots and mush them up REALLLLLLLLLLY well then it's alright, and peas too!

i think the best way for vegetables is to boil or microwave them and then use a hand blender to make sure there are no lumps

Every since iv started giving charlie bits of baby rice n stuff his poos alot less frequent, i wouldnt worry too much i dont it doesnt seem to bother him, when he does have a poo it tends to be alot harder than it used to be, but then again charlies never really been one for pooing alot!...nice eh? haha

Maybe just give some diluted orange juice to help him 'go'?

I'm lazy and I buy the jars of veg and trust me that don't taste good. They are extremely bland for us adults, but yet my boy is quite happy to eat them. So far I've just tried the butternut (disgusting), carrots (ok) and sweet potato (actually tastes good). His favourite is the butternut!! And its not sweetened at all.

Can I ask why at 3 months you are giving your LO 4 servings of solids a day? (I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, I'm just interested to know the reason). Every baby is different, I was told at 4 months to start my boy on rice in the morning and then 2 weeks later also start with fruit or veg in the evening (so only 2 servings of solids per day with one being fruit / veg)

Hey hun Tabs was the same...just one poop a day which took her ages to do and looked painful....it was always an explosion too!

On the rice and cereal she was still only doing one a day then i started the veggies this last week and 2 poops a day!

She has has carrot,sweet potato,pea and brocolli,potato. I generally give these around lucnchtime with some puree apple too
Then she has cereal/porridge with another fruit at dinnertime.
Will also start her on cereal in the mornings as soon as we can get a high chair for her.
She is getting on really well with it and is eating quite substantial amounts.

What ever veg you choose....peel and boil it in small chunks then whizz it with a hand blender....(i run mine under boiling water) i also use some of the cooking water to make it the consistency i want. I then put it in ice cube trays and freeze it....then once freezed i take out and transfer the blocks into food bags and take out which ever cubes i want in the morning and put in little sterilized pots and defrost in the fridge.
Her food is taking up most of our freezer now :blush: I prefer to give her fresh but i have also got a couple of jars of dessert type things as sometimes she has a little of this after the dinner.
A jar lasts about 3 days just scoop out what you need.
xxx
Hope he is poop happy soon

Can I ask why at 3 months you are giving your LO 4 servings of solids a day? (I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, I'm just interested to know the reason). Every baby is different, I was told at 4 months to start my boy on rice in the morning and then 2 weeks later also start with fruit or veg in the evening (so only 2 servings of solids per day with one being fruit / veg)

Because i started him on just rice before bed and it didnt seem to have much effect on him - he was still waking several times a night for food and was never satisfied with a bottle. The rice just seemed to do the trick when i gave it to him three times a day (not four like i said). I give him a 8oz bottle at 6am which he is ok with, then rice & oz three times a day.

I left out one rice yesturday and he was up in the night again:dohh:

I think though that i should replace one with fruit or vege or something. No one has given me any advice on this so any is appreciated!

Hey hun Tabs was the same...just one poop a day which took her ages to do and looked painful....it was always an explosion too!

On the rice and cereal she was still only doing one a day then i started the veggies this last week and 2 poops a day!

She has has carrot,sweet potato,pea and brocolli,potato. I generally give these around lucnchtime with some puree apple too
Then she has cereal/porridge with another fruit at dinnertime.
Will also start her on cereal in the mornings as soon as we can get a high chair for her.
She is getting on really well with it and is eating quite substantial amounts.

What ever veg you choose....peel and boil it in small chunks then whizz it with a hand blender....(i run mine under boiling water) i also use some of the cooking water to make it the consistency i want. I then put it in ice cube trays and freeze it....then once freezed i take out and transfer the blocks into food bags and take out which ever cubes i want in the morning and put in little sterilized pots and defrost in the fridge.
Her food is taking up most of our freezer now :blush: I prefer to give her fresh but i have also got a couple of jars of dessert type things as sometimes she has a little of this after the dinner.
A jar lasts about 3 days just scoop out what you need.
xxx
Hope he is poop happy soon

Excellant! Thank you so much sonny! I bough annabel Karmel's icecubes so i will start filling them up!

I think some people are under the impression that feeding a baby rice before bed makes them sleep better well sorry to say but its not true at all according to some research done at my collage ..babies bodies burn so much energy sleeping that even if you stuff them till they puck they will not sleep longer ..The reason they wake is most of the time for comfort feeds and this will disapear later on in life .. Max has now been on 3 nights of sleeping 9 hrs in a row and That's with out me giving him fruits, vege or cereal ..sorry just thought Id let you guys know :)

Its also shown buy studies that babies sleep much better when given a bath and a massage and cuddles rather then feeding them right before bed (anything but milk) .

Max has been on 4 feeds now in solids
Breakfast cereal
lunch fruits
snack rusk
supper vegies or meat
snack rusk

and yet he still wakes for a comfort feed but I put his paci in his mouth and he will sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->