Advice needed re. Midwife problems

Dollybird

Mother of a beautiful boy
Reaction score
Hey ladies.. Hope someone can advise me on this I'm at the end of my tether! Firstly ill start be admitting I've never really had much faith in my allocated midwife I've always found her patronising and also a little quick to dismiss any potential problems ( pretty much cuts me off mid conversation each time I try to tell her something) anyway I try not to let it bother me.. Don't really wanna cause a fuss.. But today I've come away from my appointment very concerned.

So ill explain. Firstly I know exactly when I ovulated due to opk so going by that I should be 33 weeks today exactly, however my scan dated me 3 days ahead of that which would make me 33+3 today. I've measured consistently 2 weeks ahead on my fundal height which again I know is nothing to be concerned about.. However today when she measured me she stated I was measuring 36cm.. Which would put me a whole 3 weeks ahead.. Now am I right in thinking that that would qualify my for a growth scan??
Anyways as well as this baby is breech (it's my first btw) and she's not scheduled me to see her again till I'm 37weeks pregnant!
And more worryingly I just read my notes and she's documented tht I was measuring 35cm but she definitely 100% told me I was measuring 36.
So I'm worried ... Is she falsifying my notes to cover her own back? Or is it a genuine mistake? Should I call her and ask.. Or take this to someone else?

Or should I just leave it?.. An I over reacting?
Advice please!!! Xxx

I think you should phone the hospital and explain to them what you've just written. How does the midwife system work where you are? In my local area I see 1 community midwife at my GP surgery and don't get a choice to see any others. If I have any issues with her I will phone the hospital for a second opinion. Do you have an antenatal day unit or something you could phone to ask?
I would be worried too so it's best to get a second opinion rather than worrying about it.

Thanks for your reply. Yeh it's the same system here. So u think I should phone her first though and clarify why she wrote 35cm rather than 36cm as she had said?

I wud do the same as above,or if u don't want to ring the hospital ring the number for your community midwife team where hopefully u will get to speak to another midwife!hope goes well x

Maybe worth ringing her to ask, if she doesn't justify why she's done that then call the Hosp direct. I'm measuring a couple of weeks over and still having growth scans although the last one looked fine, just a bit of extra fluid. So there is an importance to scan and check on baby. My mw only sees me every 3-4 weeks even now which bugs me as I don't feel like she is keeping an eye on me esp with me measuring big. Give them a call Hun x

It depends how you feel about asking her. If she says she got your notes wrong or you misheard her, will you still be worrying?
It might be a bit embarassing next time you see her if you go 'above her head' but at the end of the day it's yours and your baby's health that is the most important thing.
Personally I would just phone the hospital.
They might tell you that there's no need for a scan but it's best to ask and put your mind at rest x

Thanks ladies. I still feel a big puzzled by the whole thing.. And as I say I hate causing a fuss.. Especially if I'm wrong... Xxx

Fundal heights are highly inaccurate I measured 3 weeks behind entire pg with dd she was born 7 15 44cm long and has been off the chart centile wise ever since and they were adamant shed be small... Saying that though breech babys tend to measure bigger due to position and technically 3cm is within normal range. What I would say though is down here we are offered scan at 36 weeks to confirm if baby is suspected breech. Also it's her job to ease your concerns and she should have explained to you that breech are often higher up I would ring her stand your ground explain your concerns and don't let her cut you off you shouldn't feel more confused after coming out than you went it be firm.... Good luck I'm sure all will be fine there just guidelines anyway people come in all shapes and sizes even little beans :)

Thanks ladies for your replies. Phoned the midwife and ended up speaking to a different one. She assures me the protocol is 4cm either way, not 3cm, so that the measurement isn't a worry despite measuring 3 weeks ahead. Guess I jut got confused cause so many others I've heard have ha growth scans based on measuring 3 weeks ahead not 4. Guess what really doesn't sit easy with me was the fact that she wrote something different in my notes to what she told me. But I guess I just have to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake. The only other thing still on my mind is the fact she isn't seeing me again till 37 weeks an wont arrange Scan to check baby's position till after that... Which I think Is quite late... But again maybe I'm wrong. Guess I need to just chill out a bit and go with the flow! Xxx

Thanks ladies for your replies. Phoned the midwife and ended up speaking to a different one. She assures me the protocol is 4cm either way, not 3cm, so that the measurement isn't a worry despite measuring 3 weeks ahead. Guess I jut got confused cause so many others I've heard have ha growth scans based on measuring 3 weeks ahead not 4. Guess what really doesn't sit easy with me was the fact that she wrote something different in my notes to what she told me. But I guess I just have to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake. The only other thing still on my mind is the fact she isn't seeing me again till 37 weeks an wont arrange Scan to check baby's position till after that... Which I think Is quite late... But again maybe I'm wrong. Guess I need to just chill out a bit and go with the flow! Xxx

Glad u got to speak to another midwife, I think it must depend where u r to how often see midwife,I seem to see mine every 2 weeks now x

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/antenatal-appointment-schedule.aspx the NHS own guidelines say you should have an appointment every fortnight from 34 weeks. You could ask her why you aren't getting this care.

Not that you should have to do this, but if you're anywhere near Perth, the Baby Scan Studio there do a private presentation scan for £55. They're really good and will check baby's size and wellbeing as well and report back to the NHS if there's any reason for concern. They're a not-for-profit organization that was started by a retired doctor (who still does most scans I think), because he felt that there should be more ultrasound scanning available in pregnancy. They even give discounts for people who travel a long way to Perth.

Thanks ladies. Had a look at that Nhs choices list of appointments and noticed she completely missed an appointment out for me! I was seen at 28 week, then not again till today! (33+3). When she scheduled my next appointment for the 1st of July I pointed out tht ill be about 37 weeks at the point, and she said oh no you'll be..36.. To which I pointed our yes 36+6!! That's practically 37 weeks! And I do believe I should be seen sooner/on time simply due to fact he's breech!... And measuring big! Ach sorry for my moans ladies I'm maybe totally in the wrong but just feel like I'm being short changed. Xxx

Amy im a wee bit far from Perth.. But may consider it if i can't get proper answers from my mw.. Thankyou for telling me about it :) xxx

I had my last appt at 34 weeks and aren't seen again until 37. My friend who is under a different midwife but lives in the same city as me is the same.

I guess everywhere is different.. But she's written in my notes next appointment at 36 weeks.. Which it's not really. :-( As I said I'm prob stressing over nothing but I feel quite anxious now. Thought of anything going wrong at this stage is unbearable and I just wanna feel reassured by the mw. Xxx

it is 36 weeks tho - my midwife appts are always on a weds they dont do them any other days so if i turned a week on a thurs id have to see her at 36+6 - i honestly wouldnt worry about the appointment side of things or the measuring bigger but her not writing things down properly and the breech thing is a problem x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->