Advice Needed Regarding No NT Scan

caitlenc

Mommy to Tiny Seahorse
Reaction score
Hello, Ladies. I could use some advice.

I am currently pregnant from an IVF cycle. I was originally pregnant with twins, and one has since vanished. The other seems to be thriving. As a result of all of this, I have been heavily monitored and have had several scans.

I am now back with my regular OB. He had me come in Monday for a Nuchal scan, but I was only 10w 6d, and the tech was unable to do the Nuchal because it was a few days too soon. My OB then had my blood drawn for the MaterniT21 test. He has me scheduled for another ultrasound in 4 weeks, when I will be 14w 6d. All of my research has shown me that this is far too late for an NT scan. When I mentioned it to my Doc, he said it was fine, as the MaterniT21 test is far more conclusive anyway.

I am wondering if not having a proper NT exam is a bad idea. I am almost 39, and so at higher risk for chromosomal abnormalities. If the MaterniT21 comes back fine, then does the NT scan really become irrelevant? I just want to make sure that I have all of my bases covered, and that every available non-invasive test is used. Then again, if it is really unnecessary, then I guess I shouldn't worry.

Any thoughts?:shrug:

I am a firm believer in doing what you think is best regarding testing. However, I had the MaterniT21 test and my OB said that it does not replace the NT scan/screen and she likes the two tests to both come back negative for woman my age, 38. I also have a history of recurrent losses, so that my be factoring into her advice.

Your doctor is right. The NT is only a screening test, while the MaterniT21 test is diagnostic. The Maternti21 test is very conclusive for Down Syndrome and T13 and T18. The accuracy is over 99% which is much more conclusive that NT testing.

With my last pregnancy, the MaterniT21 had not come out yet, but I'm really grateful I can have it done for this one. The NT testing was so stressful and not that informative.

Agree with pp. I had a scan at 12 weeks (as well as most weeks) due to being high risk, but didn't bother with the bloods bc I was having the Maternit21. . Good luck!!

I have never had the testing with any of my children. I wouldnt terminate so I see no need for the extra stress and worry that can come from the super high rate of false positives that they get with the testing.

I have never had the testing with any of my children. I wouldnt terminate so I see no need for the extra stress and worry that can come from the super high rate of false positives that they get with the testing.

Yeah the testing is stressful no doubt, but even if you're keeping the baby testing can be extremely useful. A lot of times babies with T21, T18 or T13 have heart problems that may require immediate surgery. If you know about the issue way ahead of time, the doctors can be prepared to provide the child with the special care he/she needs. Also, if you're in the U.S. the child may qualify for special services. It's much easier to have all of that set up before hand than to be caught blindsided at birth.

Thanks for your input, Ladies. I certainly would not terminate, but as PP suggested, I would want to prepare myself and my family to best care for a special needs child, if that were the case.

I ended up calling my doctor and voicing my concerns, and I now have the scan scheduled for two weeks from now, when I will be 13 + 2. It is well within the appropriate time frame for an NT scan, so I feel much better. Thanks for your responses!

Yeah the testing is stressful no doubt, but even if you're keeping the baby testing can be extremely useful. A lot of times babies with T21, T18 or T13 have heart problems that may require immediate surgery. If you know about the issue way ahead of time, the doctors can be prepared to provide the child with the special care he/she needs. Also, if you're in the U.S. the child may qualify for special services. It's much easier to have all of that set up before hand than to be caught blindsided at birth.

Most of anything will show up on the 20wk scan. I have type 2 diabetes so I also get scanned once a week from 30wks on as a precaution due to higher risk of still birth, so I am confident that the doctors will know every case scenario well before birth. I have too many other things to stress about with having had 3 mc's to worry about a test that instills fear when there is nothing that can change the outcome.

Most of anything will show up on the 20wk scan. I have type 2 diabetes so I also get scanned once a week from 30wks on as a precaution due to higher risk of still birth, so I am confident that the doctors will know every case scenario well before birth. I have too many other things to stress about with having had 3 mc's to worry about a test that instills fear when there is nothing that can change the outcome.

I don't want to scare you, but the defects in the fetus' heart at that point can be very subtle. If there's not been any testing and the doctors aren't specifically looking for them, they can easily be missed even at 20 weeks. T21, T18, T13 are extremely rare, so it's not going to be something they're going to be expecting to see.

I know how stressful it can be because I went through it with dd. I got some abnormal hormone results with her and a slightly larger than average NT. I didn't get an amnio, so they did very detailed monthly Level II ultrasounds on me until I gave birth to see if they could find anything wrong with her. As stressful as it was, I will do it again because I want to be prepared no matter what because early detection can definitely help the baby's prospects of surviving if there's something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->