Advice on using Doppler for first time

lauraloo24

Reaction score
Hi,

My sonoline b doppler has arrived in the post today :happydance:

It's been two weeks since my first ultrasound and another two weeks till my next one and I am itching for some reassurance that bean is still ok.

I'm just a few days short of 11 weeks, but I do carry a bit of extra weight. Any tips for finding the heartbeat more easily?

Hey hun, I just got my sonoline too! I recommend reading this post, (https://lovebeingpregnant.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/how-to-use-fetal-doppler-at-home.html?m=1) and watching the videos she links too. Also use lots of gel. And be patient. I'm quite fat, so couldn't get a good reading eventhough i heard baby distantly a few times, so I kept the wand still and angled down for a few minutes and suddenly a REALLY loud really fast hb that registered on the doppler screen as 168. Baby did a swim-past :cloud9:

LOL a swim-past! They do move quit quickly for them to be as small as they are...thanks I will be using that site too, as soon as I get mine

Will it hurt to push down a bit? I'm scared I might squish the bean and kill it or something :( I know I'm only 7 weeks very early though lol

It won't hurt to press down some.

Tips.... check further down than you think, like right at or just above/below your bikini/hair line.

Go slow.

If you're early, don't freak out if you don't hear it. Remember baby is still small and even moving a little can prevent you from hearing anything.

Baby's HB will be very fast and either sound like a choo choo train or a galloping horse.

Use a lot of gel. Aloe gel works great and it's cheap.

If you're not finding anything in the center, look a little to the left or right.

Having a full bladder could help.

Propping your hips up on to a pillow or 2 may also help.

And again, DON'T freak out if you can't find it.

I've got that Doppler too and it's great, you do need to go quite far down towards your pubic bone. There are some YouTube videos on how to use the sonoline b. I'm quite blubbery so it took me quite a while to hear my dd heartbeat, in the end dh found it! As others have said, don't freak out if you can't hear it, keep trying every few days.

Thanks for your help ladies, had a big meal then laid down with cushion under my hips and found it straight away down my right hand side 150-160bpm. Very happy x

Phew if it would hurt the baby to push down then I need to sue my doctors! When you go in for your ultrasound with a full bladder they really push and prod your tummy to get good angles of baby. And when you need to pee this is a most unwelcome sensation!

Yay I'm glad you found it so quickly!!! I am a plus sized mommy to be, US size 14/16 and I don't have issues finding the Heartbeat, I always find it right above my pubic bone and I usually put a pillow under my hips because it really helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->