Advice please - Croup

Tiredgirl

Mum of 2 under 2
Reaction score
My little man has croup :cry: Feel so so sorry for him. Doc has given him some steroids for tonight and I have been told to keep an eye on him because it is likely to get worse before it gets better :cry:

I have been advised that steam can help his airways and I think I am gonna keep him in my room for a few nights.

Can anyone give me any further advice or even tell me your experiences (even the bad ones so I know everything).

Thank you xxxx :flower:

Hi my LO had croup, it was the worst night so far of being a mum! It did sound/look worse than it was imo. He was barking like a seal and very upset with himself, seemed to not be able to catch his breath but the dr assured me if he was in any way not getting enough air his finger tips, mouth would go blue. Look out for dips in his chest that is dangerous and dr should be called asap. I thought sitting in the bathroom with the shower on wouldnt work but it was AMAZING! I sat in the bathroom with him till it was MEGA steamy. Then took him into bed with me oH slept on the sofa - i wanted to keep a close eye on him. Once i got him settled, calpol, hugs etc we had an ok night! Hth!¬

Thanks hun, didn't know about the finger tips!! I am dreading tonight, will make sure we have plenty of hot water x x

My son had croup when he was 2 - I lost him twice he stopped breathing and had to be resusitated twice it was the worse memory of his childhood I had, what didnt make it any easier was he got so worked up that the airways swelled up and he was crying and screaming etc and couldnt breathe hence the resus.

WHen he was getting better - we had 5 night in hospital - plenty of clean fresh air, oxygen and also the steam baths as well.

Thank god he had no lasting problems, I think Croup is one of the worse childhood illnesses ever.

Sorry you did want good OR bad !!

I really hope your little one gets better soon, just try and keep then as calm as possible thats the best advice I can give you x

My son had croup when he was 2 - I lost him twice he stopped breathing and had to be resusitated twice it was the worse memory of his childhood I had, what didnt make it any easier was he got so worked up that the airways swelled up and he was crying and screaming etc and couldnt breathe hence the resus.

WHen he was getting better - we had 5 night in hospital - plenty of clean fresh air, oxygen and also the steam baths as well.

Thank god he had no lasting problems, I think Croup is one of the worse childhood illnesses ever.

Sorry you did want good OR bad !!

I really hope your little one gets better soon, just try and keep then as calm as possible thats the best advice I can give you x

Oh that must have been the worst experience ever... so scary. Thank you for telling me about it, I know some people don't like to hear the worst but I read up as much as I can so I know what to do if anything happens and I can be prepared.

Was he already in hospital when he needed resusitating or did you do it at home? xx

Also if anyone gave there LO steroids, how did you do it. I have been told to disolve them in water but have been told them taste nasty... am worried he won't drink it x

we spent many an evening on the bathroom floor with shower on and hot water running !! - i really does help - i also found with Kieran warm water calmed his cough and throat xx

hope it passes soon x

aww hun so sorry :hugs: its horrid isnt it. My Lo had it last month and at first i thought he was choking! thought he had put something in his mouth! then that awful breathing,he looked so frightened. I called that nhs line and then went to hospital where they said he had croup and i had to give him a steroid and omg the affect was amazing,by the time we got home he gave me a smile :cloud9: However he still has a bit of a cough and last week caught a cold which went straight to his chest,so i think its a bit of a weakness now. He will be ok hun but just horrid xxx :hugs:

aww hun so sorry :hugs: its horrid isnt it. My Lo had it last month and at first i thought he was choking! thought he had put something in his mouth! then that awful breathing,he looked so frightened. I called that nhs line and then went to hospital where they said he had croup and i had to give him a steroid and omg the affect was amazing,by the time we got home he gave me a smile :cloud9: However he still has a bit of a cough and last week caught a cold which went straight to his chest,so i think its a bit of a weakness now. He will be ok hun but just horrid xxx :hugs:

Awww hope your lo is ok now hun. How long did he have steriods for? We only have the tablets for one night. xx

it was a solution that we gave him in front of the doc and that was all but he did say if he got any worse he should have another dose,there was no need :flower: The weird thing was that when the croup came on, he was playing with her friend who is a little younger than lo and she also got croup (who got it first is a mystery) but the hospital she went to wouldn't give her steroid as she would have to stay in hospital if she did iukwim maybe she didn't have it as bad??? i have heard that boys get it worse but don't know how true that is :haha: how is your Lo now hun? x

it was a solution that we gave him in front of the doc and that was all but he did say if he got any worse he should have another dose,there was no need :flower: The weird thing was that when the croup came on, he was playing with her friend who is a little younger than lo and she also got croup (who got it first is a mystery) but the hospital she went to wouldn't give her steroid as she would have to stay in hospital if she did iukwim maybe she didn't have it as bad??? i have heard that boys get it worse but don't know how true that is :haha: how is your Lo now hun? x

We had an ok night, he woke lots but wasn't as bad as the other night... he was inconsolable then bless him. Still sounds very croaky this morning. Think the steroids really helped him. Fingers crossed he is ok tonight too.

Thanks hun xxx :flower:

He had been admitted, he was having a coughing fit at the doctors and he went blue luckily the docs was literally across the road from the A&E where i lived at the time and 2 mins from my front door !

He started with a temperature and a general cough and it just got so worse so quick I dont know what I would have done had he been at home.

Glad to see you had a better night hope LO feels better soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->