• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Advice please - eating out on Christmas Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenkat

Mummy of two
Reaction score
Hi - just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. :flower:

My FIL asked us if we'd like to eat out on Christmas day to take the stress away and then we can go on somewhere to do something fun (no idea what). I thought it sounds great! I've only had at home Christmases before (if that makes sense?)

Thing is he wants me to pick a restaurant! I have no clue - we don't really eat out at all because we're skint and prefer to spend money on other things generally - so I have no clue what's expensive either and he's paying!

Anyone know any good restaurants in York? Or any good websites to lead on from? Lol.

I dont know about where you live, but here its expensive to eat out on Christmas Day so im sure he knows!! Here even the local cheap pubs cost over £30. What i do when im looking for somewhere to eat is think about somewhere where you've went past and thought 'ohh that looks nice'. Ive heard that hotels are the best for christmas day meals!!

Sorry not much help because im not sure about where you live :)

Maybe one of the chain pubs? Pop into a few and pick up some menus and decide what one looks the best value!

I have never eaten out on Christmas day. Round here most places are pretty expensive and it is qutie common to pay £50 each.

I would pop into a few and get some menus to compare. Also find out if they still have availability as they might get booked up.

Is fil paying? Lol!

Seriously it is mega expensive. Even a toby carvery you're looking at £43.95 Each and you have to go up n get your own dinner!!!!

I don't personally think it's worth it - my sil has been out the last few years with her husbands family in Bristol and you're looking at £70ish for In a brasserie so god knows what a restaurant would be!!!

I think for the chain type of pubs ie Hungry Horse you are looking at £40-£50 and is likely to be frozen food, then the more restaurant type places you are looking more £50-£70 a head. I would try looking online first and see if there are any reviews from previous years. x

We were in an ember inn yesterday and they were charging £39.95 for a 4 course meal, i've seen a few restaurants offering xmas day services and they all seem to be around the £40 mark, I could never go out xmas day, it just wouldn't feel right and I think the prices they charge are really expensive for what you get xx

Were going to a local pub, been in 3x for a menu and they keep going
Me Xmas fayre menus, I told them for Xmas day and they said yeah it's the same one and same price?!! Which is 12 for adults n 6 for kids?! Think they got it wrong!!

I've eaten out for christmas a couple of times before we had Alfie. I enjoyed it because there is obviously there is no cooking or washing up but, 1, its very expensive (£50+ in our area), 2, its not very personal, you are there with 100's of other people & to me it dosent feel like family time iykwim. 3, every resturant in our area that does christmas meals have 2 sittings, one at lunch time for familys with children (12pm) & then one at 3pm for familys with no children. Now i dont know about your family but we have always eaten christmas day lunch about 3pmish & its a long process at the table (3 course meal). There is no way now we have Alfie that we would want to change the time of our christmas meal just because we have a child. And i wouldnt want to feel rushed out of the resturant just because they have another sitting in an hour.

I doubt we will ever eat out again not after last time anyway, the resturant decided to tell us at 7pm christmas eve that they couldnt do our chrismas dinner because the oven had bust, but we were quite welcome to pick up raw veg to cook at home. Our christmas day was ruined & we decided to go out that year as not long before i had just found out i was pregnant & we was telling our family over that meal.

The harvester are doing a 3 course meal on Christmas day for £35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"