Advice re Mei Tai's

faille

Mummy & WTT
Reaction score
Hi ladies, completely new to this section but hoping you're the best bunch to ask...

I've got a sling from Mothercare at the moment and I actually really enjoyed carrying LO in it but it's not very comfy after a while so I'm looking to invest in a better one.

What ages can Mei Tais generally be used for? The sling we have says from birth but when we tried it as a sling, it folded her in half and the edge basically covered her face. How practical are Mei Tais for newborns?

Is there a "best" brand to get..? There's so many I'm getting a bit overwhelmed, especially as I don't really know what I'm looking at. Are there any ones/types/brands that are generally better? Is it safe to get a second hand one, eg can the straps start fraying etc?

Sorry that's long but hoping someone can answer some of them q's :flower:

TIA x

I think this age is perfect for a Mei Tai, ive been trying Alex in one for months now and its only the past month he likes being in it.

They can be used from newborn by putting their legs in a frog leg position and tieing the straps around the back instead of underneath them

What ages can Mei Tais generally be used for? How practical are Mei Tais for newborns?

i used my mei tai from when leyla was a good few months old but i have seen people carrying newborns in mei tai, you just froggy the legs and tie the strap over their back instead of under the bum, very easy once you get the hang of it

Is there a "best" brand to get..? Are there any ones/types/brands that are generally better? Is it safe to get a second hand one, eg can the straps start fraying etc?

i dont think there ia brand thats better than another tbh, i made my own and it is probably not as amazing as some of the more expensive ones are made out to be but it does its job and it looks cute! i think a second hand one would be fine so long as they say its in good condition, you can always make a point of asking do the straps look like theyre fraying, most people would be honest i think? when asked a direct question

hope this helps hun

x

You can use them from birth :) We didn't get ours until Hayden was 2mo though but have used it from then and still do, he's almost 27mo now. I have a Babyhawk and LOVE it and highly recommend them. The straps are padded which are great. But there are lots of great brands, ergo is another and many WAHM's make them too

Definitely can be used at any age.. you just need to know how to carry them right (like the other ladies mentioned)

I made mine and started using it when LO was 4 months.

I would get one second hand without a thought. :) Are you handy at all? You can make them super easy, too!

Thanks ladies that's great.

Are they easy to put on by yourself?

I'm not crafty at all lol. If I made one then the stitching would probably break as soon as her foot touched it :lol:

i used my mei tai from Aimee being a few weeks, i have a babyhawk and today i got my Melkaj:p

babyhawk also do a toddlerhawk so you could look into that if you thought you might not get long out of the baby one but to be honest i think ive got months untill id need a toddlerhawk

https://melkaj.blogspot.com/2009/10/mei-tai-213.html

its gorjuss :D

i think its pretty easy to put on, you can find videos on youtube too, i havent done the back carry yet but i will soon :)

Yeah they are easy to put on, you get the hang of it really fast! I am pretty much ok with back carries after practising for a few days, and Freya much prefers being on my back :D

Yeah, front carries are really easy to put on. Back carries are a bit more complicated, especially with a smaller LO that hasn't figured out to hold on to you yet. :dohh: But I still manage back carries with my LO who is 4.5 months now. Though everytime my mom or DH sees me load/unload him they think I am going to drop him! LOL

Cheers girls, really appreciate your comments :flower:

I come across this site last night https://www.funkyslings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Only problem I have now is choosing one out of so many lovely patterns! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->