Advice wanted on safely sleeping with baby in bed

katie_bump

Reaction score
Baby won't settle anywere but cuddled up to me so thought id just have a go at co-sleeping. Scared to death of rolling over or something.
Anyone co-sleep with there newborn? Got any advice on the way i should be lying with him etc? Do you let LO under your blanket or put them in there own?

Katie x

leylas a bit older now so she goes inbetween mine and pauls pillows and under the duvet, she goes in between the pillows so even if we have the duvet high it wont cover her face, i wouldnt with a newborn though, id put him inbetween the pillows still but on top of the duvet and with his own blanket and maybe a pillow at the bottom of his feet so he doesnt make his way down the bed

x

This is what I do:

--Bed is on box springs on the floor, so isn't very high off the ground
--I have a firm mattress with the sheets pulled very tight
--Bed is in the middle of the room (babies often get wedged between a wall and the bed, which is dangerous)
--I also have an Arms Reach on my side of the bed, but a bedrail would do just as well
--Went done to one pillow that I keep very far from LO
--Dress LO so that he has to have minimal blankets or covers on him to keep warm. I only cover his legs and feet sometimes
--Am still using my summer, thin blanket instead of my super fluffy, thick winter one (which is down... too afraid it is hard to handle and keep away from him)
--I put LO between me and the Arm's Reach
--He sleeps at my chest level with my arm above his head to prevent my pillow from creeping toward him
--He never sleeps next to DH as DH is a heavy sleeper and is more likely to smoosh him
--He also sleeps on his back in the adult bed (even though he is a belly sleeper everywhere else)

So far, this has worked really well for me! But everyone does it a bit different. You just have to figure out what is safe for you.

Lots of people like using nests, too. Look into those!

thats weird, leyla sleeps on her back in my bed aswell but her belly in her bed :wacko:

x

i have a snuggle nest next to me in bed, its just me so the double bed has plenty room, and then her own blankets and my duvet just kinda hangs on the floor in a big pile and then half on me.. when shes too big for the nest tho ill have to re think and get a side bit and swap sides with her so she cant get stuck by the wall. Or ill just put her in her cot, but i like her being so close just now.

^^ Loving that probably won't change any time soon! I promised DH that Otter would move to his own room when he started sleeping through the night. For now I am glad he is showing no signs of doing that any time soon! :haha:

I coslept with Casen and Hayden from the day they came home from the hospital. They slept sometimes on the outside of the bed, just by me and sometimes between me and Mark...but he's very aware of them being there so it all depends on your DH, if you think he sleeps too hard and wouldn't realize I woudln't put the baby in the middle. But they slept down below my pillow, like I was on my side arms bent to have my hands under my head and they would be under my arms, even with my chest...which made nursing even easier...I either swaddled them or they would have their own blanket tucked over them, sometimes they used ours too but I was always careful to keep it down away from their face.

We had Jack in bed with us a few times in the early days, he then went into his crib, then cot when he outgrew that, then back with us when his sleep got worse at about 4 months. We arranged things the same for both periods:

Jack between me and DH (sometimes DH sleeps in spare room so he can stretch out) with his face level with my chest. I lie on my side facing him, with one arm across my pillows and the other next to Jack. Our duvet rests across his tummy and my free arm keeps a check on it.

The main points are to keep pillows and duvet away from baby, so they should never be between or propped up on pillows. Chest level is ideal for BFing as no one needs to move to feed. They shouldn't be able to get stuck between mattress and wall, or be able to roll off the bed - though this is of less concern with a newborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"