Advil Close to Conception????

maybebaby25

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hoping someone here can put my mind at ease.

I've been trying to get pregnant for about 10 months, and this past Friday/Saturday were good days.

On Thursday, I went to the doctor for an unrelated issue, and he told me to take Advil for 72 hours to reduce inflammation. He is aware that I've been trying to get pregnant, so I didn't really question it. (I went to him recently for a test, talked to him about finding the right OB, discussed possible fertility issues... so he's definitely in the loop.) I just figured that it must not be harmful to take Advil if you were in the pre-conception / "status unknown" window.

So here I am, popping Advil over the weekend, possibly just-pregnant, and this morning I wondered when I should stop taking it to be safe. That's when I read an article that said that anti-inflammatories increase the chance of miscarriage by 80% if taken around the time of conception - not to mention heart defect risks.

I am terrified, and I feel like a moron, and I'm really upset with my GP. Is there anyone out there who took OTC painkillers around the time they got pregnant and didn't have any issues? Or did?!

Thanks... :sad2:

I really wouldn't stress yourself out over that. I am not aware of that specific risk, but was it a reputable article that you read?

My gyn says anything that happens before your positive is fair game and it doesn't affect your baby or rate of mc. I wouldn't stress. :)

Anecdotal only, but when I conceived my son I was having terrible wisdom teeth pain and was taking ibuprofen 4 times a day, paracetamol AND codeine. I was like the Heisenberg of painkillers, including NSAIDs. He was totally fine, problem-free pregnancy.

I have read time and again that basically nothing you consume in the first few weeks after conception affects your baby in any way (except aspirin which is meant to help not hinder, but it doesn't travel to your baby either just has a general effect on your blood). Your baby doesn't get a "drop" of your blood before a few weeks along, that's what I've read.

Just to clarify, that was an unplanned pregnancy! I wouldn't have been drugging out in my kitchen if I'd been trying haha.
On a sadder note, my second pregnancy was planned, and I was doing all the "right" things for conception, and I still miscarried. You won't have affected the outcome either way, so put your mind at rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->