Advoce

I have no suggestions, I'm really sorry :hugs: I understand completely where you're coming from and I wish I could help :( What sort of dog is it? It sounds quite big... xxx

Didn't want to R&R but it's tricky as it's their house and their dog, I am surprised they are not listenning to your concerns though and at least if they could restrict the dogs access to just a few rooms in the house, maybe kitchen and utility and occasionally the lounge, that would help you. However if they don't agree to that, there's not so much you can do, just make sure you and LO are away from the dog as much as possible, and when your parents are out, shut the dog in the kitchen/outside if weather is ok, and make the most of the freedom of the house. I am sure when LO is here they will be more reasonable and agree to restrict the dog to certain areas. Good luck, hope it works out ok and try not to let it stress you! XX

I understand where you are coming from completely, what if the dog jumps up
and knocks the moses basket/bouncer over with baby in it?
Also dogs can get very jealous of new babies, so if hes already destroying
things/hyper/jump, this could only get worse.
Im not sure what your solution would be though. x

sounds like its all one way and not an ideal situation to be in with a baby.and def not after a c-section. my mum has very simlar dogs to your mums and dads so i no how you feel! i was so glad to get out of the house and into our MQs. really dont no what to surgest.not much you can do with a bad mannered dogs if no1 else will keep up the same level of disapline as you. x

dont let her make you feel bad.its not your fault their dog is this way and all your thinking about is the saftey of your baby.i take it the dog doesnt distroy any of their things. cant you apply for new MQs?

sounds like its all one way and not an ideal situation to be in with a baby.and def not after a c-section. my mum has very simlar dogs to your mums and dads so i no how you feel! i was so glad to get out of the house and into our MQs. really dont no what to surgest.not much you can do with a bad mannered dogs if no1 else will keep up the same level of disapline as you. x

Oh and you will maybe appreciate this kes, I had bought a whole bag full of chocolates and goodys for my hubby when I was first staying here to post out for him in a parcel. I put the bag in the hallway in a rush as I had to rush back out for a scan (quite an important one actually to assess my likelyhood of developing blood pressure probs again)I was anxious about the scan and mind somewhere else plus I was also mind on hubby having just left. Didnt think anything about leaving bag in hallway as didnt know the dog was so undisciplined at this point.
I came out of scan to a really snotty txt message from my mum saying that the dog had ripped open all the chocolate and treats and it was all my fault for leaving them in hallway. The dog did not get told off or disciplined and since then I have grown to know its capabilities and keep stuff out of way but its always someone elses fault not the dogs!Its amazing! The dog even goes in to the bin and drags stuff out from it and leaves discarded all over house which I have to go round picking up, when she sees him do it he is never disciplined!!!!!
God I just dont know what to do I am stuck as cant move anywhere else as nowhere to go!!!!
My hubby came home for a few weeks recently and was shocked! His mum has dogs but they are always kept away from the kids as they can be bouncy and over excited and they have been sent to dog obedience classses and are well behaved.
I suggested dog obedience classes but she just laughs!
My mum is supposed to be coming in as my partner for c sec tomorrow but to be honest Im so fuming after an incident this morning that I not sure I can have her there!

ahhh yes i no how that feels like to.my mum went threw a stage of that.one of our old dogs ran away once out of the back garden.and istead of blaming it she blamed the other dog for asking to go out in the back garden so often.my sister and me stood there in disbelieve.she also blamed people for putting their cats out at night as it gave the dog things to chase over the fence.

we had two female staffies (the same dogs as above) and the one that used to escape used to start dog fights with the other staffie.i was telling my mum for 9 months she had to go and it wasnt fair on the other one that always ended up worse off and had to go to the vets a couple of times to be stiched up.but my mum wouldnt listen and said she refused to send her to a rescue kennel.in the end my sister gave in and took her being as my mum refused.

one time i came home and my sisters staffie was locked in the bedroom with a large gash/cut down her leg and it was pooring out blood.instead of one of them taking a morning off work to take her to the emergancy vets they left her bleeding!i was mortified and took her to the vet straight away and ended up paying for it to.

some people need to have their eyes opened and be more responsable!

firstly undisicplined dogs really pee me off :brat:, secondly i dispise terriors absolutely waste of dog [-(

i would suggest getting something herbal to dope the dog to take the edge off for the dog
secondly buy those kiddie gates that swing shut and put it up at your door

that fact that your folks aren't willing to compromise even though they are being kind enough to allow you to stay there tickle my nose a bit
like what if the dog hurts your child
will they be so flippant then.

WSS ^^^ stair gate across your bedroom door to stop dog getting in so at least you have one safe zone.

I have a dog and she isn't particularly "disciplined" but would never jump up at a small child. The only time we have issues is during fireworks as she is so terrified she tries to hide anywhere...

Unfortuneately if your parents wont discipline the dog there isn't a lot you can do, however when you are home alone I would exclude the dog from you to minimise the risk of injury to you post c-section, and bubs.

Yes a kiddie gate might help to keep it out of the room you are in. I'd be really scared actually, does it ever nip? My dad used to have a real git of a jack russel that would be all cuteness one minute and then get mad and run accross the room to sink it's teeth in someones shoe for no apparent reason. You can't ever work out what's going to set them of them off. Maybe a muzzle for it if it is in the same room as the baby.

As an owner of a jack russell i can appreciate where your coming from! Your parents need to face up to the responsibilty of owning such a hyper dog! In all honesty, his claws shouldnt need clipped that much if he is getting a good amount of exercise as the tarmac will file them down

Can i ask how much exercise he gets?

In regards to the jumping etc... firstly when he jumps up near anything thats baby related, firmly tell him off! He will soon get the message that that isnt to be messed with.

Only use one word commands as they are easy to teach. Also if he jumps up at you, i.e. when you first come in door, automatically turn your back and say off. then stand with your back facing him! this should stop him jumping up although with your parents not being on side, it may take longer for him to realise.

Your room should be able to be left open and the dog not go in. Again its all bout teachin boundaries. i suggest you take over the teaching as although its not your dog, you really dont want this around your baby do you?

remember dont punish him for doing bad, praise him for doing something good!

hope this helps x

Yes a kiddie gate might help to keep it out of the room you are in. I'd be really scared actually, does it ever nip? My dad used to have a real git of a jack russel that would be all cuteness one minute and then get mad and run accross the room to sink it's teeth in someones shoe for no apparent reason. You can't ever work out what's going to set them of them off. Maybe a muzzle for it if it is in the same room as the baby.

might not work, Jack russells anyway are excellent agility dogs and can EASILY jump over the gate, especially if something exciting,tasty etc is on otehr side. TRUST ME lol

maybe try a spray bottle ?
just a normal squrt bottle with water in it and when he jumps up or you catch him being naughty a quick zap and a firm no should help matters.

my animals know if i just show them the spray bottle that they are doing something wrong.

maybe try a spray bottle ?
just a normal squrt bottle with water in it and when he jumps up or you catch him being naughty a quick zap and a firm no should help matters.

my animals know if i just show them the spray bottle that they are doing something wrong.

excellent trick!!better than the shock collars etc as doesnt actually harm them!

although the more i read your comments bout ur parents dogs, i think its pointless cuz the dog will not learn as they wont enforce it either!

definately get out ASAP! its a shame as jacks can make terrific pets. i love mine and he is a cracker! x

can you take the dog to the groomers just to clip its nails? around here its a 2 minute walk in visit and its only about $7. Might help some with the scratching.

Bluntly tell/ask them if it will take the dog to hurt their newborn grandson for them to give a toss!
surely it should be abit of give and take considering you do pay rent, buy food and do their housework. also make a point of getting your daughter to be more strict with the dog to. and id also make a point of containing the dog somewhere when their out of the house so you dont have the stress of feeling on edge all the time

Hiya,

i can totally understand your frustration, i have two boxers, a male and female. when they were young pups they misbehaved and would sometimes become destructive and drove me mad at the best of times!

Everything you have described is a matter of dominance. your parents have allowed him and taught him that it is ok to behave in such a way, it is them who are at fault. i mean, who is the real leader in this pack? as far as this animal is concerned its him. if this dog was in his original pack, would he still be behaving like this? the answer is no because the alpha wouldnt tolerate such unruly behaviour. it is true that in order to successfully change this dogs behaviour he needs consistency but perhaps if your parents notice a change in his behaviour for the better they might be more willing to take part.

Try adopting NILF training regime. you can find lots of info about this kind of training online. It stands for Nothing In Life is Free and worked absolute wonders with my two boxers and helps to teach the dog to respect you. make sure he gets enough exercise, at the end of the day he needs an outlet for his energy, currently that outlet is running riot round the house, entertaining himself by breaking into peoples bedrooms and ripping things up for fun.

I dont agree with the comment about sedating the dog doping it up or whatever. that just makes things conveniant but doesnt actually solve the behavioural issues in my opinion. the pack leader is supposed to do whatever is in the best interest of the pack as a whole, so i dont think giving him a herbal remedy or shoving him off into the hallway is appropriate especially if what he needs is an extra hour's run in the evening perhaps or for some proper boundaries to be put in place.

To us dogs are members of our families but to the dogs we are members of the pack. every member of the pack has a position and in the domesticated environment it is down to the owners to decide who goes in which position. so a new baby will be seen as a new pack member to the dog, looking at things from the dogs point of view, think about your position in his pack. where do your parents, yourself and other family members fit in this pack? where do you expect the baby to be placed once born?

There is a wealth of info in regards to canine behaviour and pack mentality online.

Hope this helps,

Zoe

Hiya,

i can totally understand your frustration, i have two boxers, a male and female. when they were young pups they misbehaved and would sometimes become destructive and drove me mad at the best of times!

Everything you have described is a matter of dominance. your parents have allowed him and taught him that it is ok to behave in such a way, it is them who are at fault. i mean, who is the real leader in this pack? as far as this animal is concerned its him. if this dog was in his original pack, would he still be behaving like this? the answer is no because the alpha wouldnt tolerate such unruly behaviour. it is true that in order to successfully change this dogs behaviour he needs consistency but perhaps if your parents notice a change in his behaviour for the better they might be more willing to take part.

Try adopting NILF training regime. you can find lots of info about this kind of training online. It stands for Nothing In Life is Free and worked absolute wonders with my two boxers and helps to teach the dog to respect you. make sure he gets enough exercise, at the end of the day he needs an outlet for his energy, currently that outlet is running riot round the house, entertaining himself by breaking into peoples bedrooms and ripping things up for fun.

I dont agree with the comment about sedating the dog doping it up or whatever. that just makes things conveniant but doesnt actually solve the behavioural issues in my opinion. the pack leader is supposed to do whatever is in the best interest of the pack as a whole, so i dont think giving him a herbal remedy or shoving him off into the hallway is appropriate especially if what he needs is an extra hour's run in the evening perhaps or for some proper boundaries to be put in place.

To us dogs are members of our families but to the dogs we are members of the pack. every member of the pack has a position and in the domesticated environment it is down to the owners to decide who goes in which position. so a new baby will be seen as a new pack member to the dog, looking at things from the dogs point of view, think about your position in his pack. where do your parents, yourself and other family members fit in this pack? where do you expect the baby to be placed once born?

There is a wealth of info in regards to canine behaviour and pack mentality online.

Hope this helps,

Zoe

i totally agree with you but its hard to keep it in force being as the dog is not hers and the owners(her parents)have no intrest in doing any training of any kind.

i no from experaince no matter how i personally tryed to set rules and boundarys on my mums dogs it didnt particually work as i was the only person trying to enforce disapline.

and it shouldnt be her responcability to take the dog out for extra walks etc hevily pregnant or with a new born.

its easy to say you should do these things but it doesnt always work if the whole 'pack' doesnt take a active roll.

I know how bad this can be as my MIL has 2 dogs that behave in exactly the same way, only huge rottweilers ;/

I have 3 staffies and I would consider them as "reformed" well behaved as when I rescued them they were each as unruly as the dog you describe, MIL's dogs run a riot and she lets them as she does not assert herself as leader!

A stairgate in the doorway of your room to serve as a secondary barrier if the dog manages to open the door. My dogs are scared of them and won't try to jump them.

Your parents need to understand that they need to instill a pack order with the dog in that house as at the moment it seems either the little guy thinks he is the alpha as his behaviour is allowed, or he is confused about his place and is acting out of insecurity. With a new baby in the house the behaviour will worsen as there is another member to add to the confused pack order. If everyone is consistent toward the dog in regards to what behaviour is expected of him, he will learn quickly and be happier himself and better behaved.

Also like lilacmonkey87 suggested, an hours extra walk is a good idea. Try to make a routine of it at the same time every day. He is probably tearing stuff up as he is bored and can't constructively use his energy. A walk and perhaps a game of fetch could disperse some of his extra energy, tire him out and stimulate his brain sufficiently enough to reduce boredom, and also if he walks on rough surfaces it will help with his claws.

Finally, I have no idea why dogs are partial to pants but I have to use a wash hamper with a zipper lid :blush:

Part of the problem seems to be that your parents don't appreciate that there is any work to do.

Could you get someone else in the family on side too so they don't just think it's only you that thinks it's an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"