Advoce

The problem has nothing to do with dominance, dominance and pack theory is widely disproven and discredited. The dog needs training and also enough exercise/stimulation to stop him getting bored, that is all. As far as the dog is concerned, what is left about is far game to chew unless it has been taught otherwise, so I hate to say it, but none of this is the dogs fault. It is simply behaving like a dog.

It will be hard to sort the problems out if your parents aren't on board, but if you're at home with the dog most of the time and are prepared ot train him, then maybe if you have a word with your parents they will re-inforce the good behaviour too.

First thing's first, keep anything you don't want chewed away from him and supervise him strictly at all times. It would be a good idea to crate train him or use a stairgate to be able to confine him to a room, such as the kitchen (because it's unlikely your things will be in there for him to get) when he cannot be supervised. If you cannot supervise him, he must go in the crate or gated off room. Make sure he has plenty of his own chew toys and if you see him pick up something he isn't meant to have, offer him one of his toys or if he won't swap for that, a treat and then when he gives the item to you, give him one of his own toys. (it helps if you rotate toys and keep some put away so he doesn't get bored of them) He will eventually get the message about what he should and shouldn't chew. You really do have to make an effort in the meantime to keep your things out of his reach though.

Re: jumping up. If he jumps up (even if you are sitting) don't speak to him at all, just stand up, arms folded and ignore him, don't look at him. After a few minutes he will probably figure out he isn't going to get attention that way, so he will either walk off or sit down. If he sits, immediately say 'good' and give him some attention. Then carry on what you were doing. At first, he will probably just start jumping up again right away, so just repeat the standing/arm folding. He will soon get the message, but it will be hard at first as he has spent so long learning that jumping up gets him attention. Also, try and give him attention at times when he is just laying down minding his own business so that he learns attention is on your terms, not his. Also teach your 6 year old to stand, arms folded if he jumps on her.

Teaching basic commands is also a good idea. To get ready for when your LO is here, teach him to go to his bed. (if he is crate trained, his crate will be his bed) Call him over to his bed with a treat and when he is in his bed say 'bed' and give the treat. Repeat lots. Eventually, you can throw a treat into his bed and say 'bed' and he will go to his bed to get the treat. Also do things like leave a few treats on his bed and if he is ever laying on it pop over an dgive him a treat, so he starts to think his bed is a really good place to be. It takes a lot of repetition, but after a while you will be able to say 'bed' and he will go there and wait for a treat. Always give a treat at first, then delay the time between him getting to his bed and getting the treat. (few seconds at first, then lengthen very gradually) Once he does that, reduce the treats to every other time, then every third or fourth time and then lengthen the time between him getting to his bed an dgetting the treat even more. By doing this, when LO is here you can ask him to go to his bed when you want him out of the way.

Make sure he is getting enough walks. Basic training, such as sit, down etc will also keep his mind busy. You can also get a 'Kong' and use that to feed him all his meals in.

It all sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but at the end of it you won't have to get annoyed by the dog or have your things destroyed. It is really important to use reward based training only (eg. treats, toys) as the dog will do more you want if he is working to get something as opposed to working to avoid something. (which is what happens in the case of telling off, water sprays etc)

Also, remember that dogs do things or don't do things either because they do not understand what is being asked of them (they don't speak English they need to learn to associate a word with an action and consequence) or because what they are doing is rewarding to them. No more, no less than that. They don't have human emotions, they don't get jealous or want to get back at people.

Good luck, I hope you can get your parents on board.

picking up on some posts here and no matter which way you personally look at the behaviour, whether its a dominance/pack thing or not. This dog is in serious need of BASIC training at the very least!

anyway, someone mentioned about how its not your responsibiltiy to exercise as heavily pregnant, not your dog etc... anyway... my dog gets walked ALOT but still has extra energy so this is a very useful tip! I bought a ball, those plastic things that cost a £1 in most stores.

I put him in the hall (where he sleeps), take his bed out and its a laminate floor with nothing else in it... and just throw the ball! it keeps hi occupied for HOURS and he is knackered afterwards. i plan on doing this when booby feeding too as it will keep him busy and stop him jumping up at the smell of milk and accidently harming baby/me.

Afterwards, he will get his play time with me but in the end will end up tired and not be so jumpy etc! worth a try!

I think you have to show it you are pack leader and be firm with him otherwise he will make you even more cross & you don't need that. If he knows you are above him in the pack he won't do half the things he does and Jack Russells are the worst for being naughty!

I didn't read everyones responses but I think some people have said the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->