After emergency c-section with 1st, I'm scared to try natural birth with 2nd :/

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by SuzyW, Nov 12, 2011.

  1. SuzyW

    SuzyW Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2011
    Messages:
    267
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had an amazing visit with my midwife yesterday, had a really good talk about things and heard baby's heartbeat. I've also started feeling baby's movements and little kicks, and it's all suddenly feeling real and I can't stop smiling.... However...

    Now that it's really hit me I'm having a 2nd little baba I am so nervous about the birth. Midwife has said I won't be allowed an elective c-section because I dilated with my 1st. But it was such a traumatic labour, he came 6 weeks early, I was in labour for 70 hours, as they prepared me for a c-section DS's heartbeat stopped and before I knew what was happening I was knocked out with a general anaesthetic. Didn't see DS for 5 hours after he was born cause he was rushed to neonatal unit and I was in recovery.... I can't go through this again!! :/

    Midwife has said she'll refer me for some counselling so I can talk about this and she's said what we can do is write in my birth plan a cut-off point, i.e if I am in labour for more than 12 hours without much progression they'll do a c-section, but I'm still really scared.

    Anyone else been through this? Or had a successful natural birth after a c-section?
     
  2. Aw hun I know how anxious you are feeling.

    I had similar experience with my daughter. My waters broke on their own and my contractions started and it all seemed to be happening as it should. I got to 3cm dilated and it just kinda stayed like that. I ended up also labouring for over 70 hours when I was finally induced and given an epidural. It got me to 7cm. But then after 6 more hours I was still only at 7cm and they were now worried about my baby as she'd had no waters around her for so long and their was risk of infection.

    Thankfully I wasn't put under general but I was rushed down for an emergency c section. My daughter was taken straight to scbu and put on an antibiotic drip to fight infection.

    After 2 days she was back up with me and after 5 days we came home. She's perfect now but I had to have counselling to help me come to terms with my experience.

    I've been told I can choose to have an elective c section this time simply because I've already had one. Both my consultant and midwife have left that decision down to me and husband entirely. We've decided to go with a planned c section and I feel much calmer for it. I know that chances are it wouldn't happen again and I could have a wonderful natural labour experience but for me personally it's not an option to just 'wait and see'.

    I'm very surprised that they've told you you can't have an elective section this time simply because you dilated last time. I dilated but I was still given the option. The nhs are even on about giving first time mums the choice to choose a c section (which i dont agree with but thats besides the point) so I'm surprised they won't allow you another.

    Having said all that, it's worth trying any counselling they offer you. It may help you come to terms with your traumatic experience. If you were allowed the choice would you opt for the c section anyway? If you're not sure then perhaps all you need is a bit of counselling and reassurance that the same thing is unlikely to happen again.

    Good luck Hun, you'll be fine!

    X
     
  3. misshopefull

    misshopefull Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    Messages:
    816
    Likes Received:
    0
    I got to 9cm with my first before been given an emergency c-section. This time I have been told I have the choice because I have already had one c-section. My midwife is very keen for me to try for a natural and even asked me if i was going to at my appointment when I was only 5 weeks pregnant!

    Having time to think about it I really want the elective c-section this time as I know what to expect and feel more prepared. I do know a few people that have had a c-sections then a natural and they all had positive experiences.

    I can't believe after your experience that you don't get the option to have an elective c-section, it seems really unfair :growlmad: The birth plan sounds like a good idea and the counselling is worth trying.

    :hugs:
     
  4. babyblog

    babyblog Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    Messages:
    3,230
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, I too am surpassed you cannot chose a c section this time. I was in labour for 26 hours and my LO hb nearly stopped on numerous occasions which is why they did a c section and I am allowed to choose this time. I was actually dilated at the ver end but after the trauma I am going with an elective this time,If you really want one you should push for one x
     
  5. sunshineray7

    sunshineray7 Mummy of 2 little men

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2009
    Messages:
    757
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, I also had an emergency csection after an induction and difficult labour, but I only reached 4 cm. I was not given the option to have an elective section this time either but they pushed for me to try a vbac. They have agreed a plan with me that I will not be induced or have syntocin (?sp), drip. I will be booked for a section 1 week past my due date, but if I start myself before then they will not let me labour long before doing section. I feel loads better knowing I have a plan in place but am still nervous about having a vaginal birth...which I think is prob normal.
     
  6. kayleigh&bump

    kayleigh&bump Mum to Finnley & TTC #2

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2009
    Messages:
    5,105
    Likes Received:
    0
    i had a really similar experience to you in a lot of ways. I got to 10cms and was rushed for an emergency c section due to the baby being breech, was also put under general aneasthetic for it. I had a lot of problems after the delivery including an infection which saw me through 2 weeks in hospital, but I have been fully supported in wanting another c section this time. I just dont think I can go through the natural labour with the worry of me not being able to see my baby born again. Ive suffered from PTSD since the birth and am too waiting for counselling, so I completely know how you feel. If you want a c section, then you have every right to push for one. Ask to see another dr if you have to xx
     
  7. Sarah27

    Sarah27 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Messages:
    764
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had an emergency section with my first child.. It was basically a disasterous failed induction that did not progress well..I ended up with a white floppy baby who couldn't breathe.. He ended up in scbu for 5 days and they referred to him as the grunting baby.
    With my second baby my MW was quite adament that I would be offered a section seen as tho I had previously had one.

    However the consultant had a very different idea and said I would have to give birth.. I was hysterical as the fear and trauma from my first labour had left such an impact on me.. I did literally cry non stop for weeks after this meeting!... My cons at the time did say that I wouldn't be allowed to labour longer than 12 hours before been taken for a section which didn't make sense as he said it would be classed as a first labour and I thought most first labours lasted longer than 12 hours..

    Sadly my second son died at 36weeks and the "normal" proceedure for giving birth is to do it naturally.... I had a very successful natural delivery that was a great experience.... Despite having a 3rd degree tare..........And the truly sad outcome..

    With my rainbow I have opted for a planned section due to the taring down below... and the fact that she is due one week after my angels 2nd birthday... :)

    Hope that helps and if you really can't face giving birth again you can have a section as haven't NICE changed the guidelines for sections just recently??
     
  8. lalitas charm

    lalitas charm Mummy to Bethan & Piplet

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    3,824
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm amazed that they have said that you can't have an elective section particularly after the trauma you had before. I had an elective section with DD and told my Consultant at my 14 week appointment that I wanted another and that was that. I'd see if there was a way to appeal that since you had such a terrible previous experience. I also agree with mummytosummer and you should definitely take any counselling they offer you to help you with how you feel after your previous birth experience.

    I hope they see sense :hugs:
     
  9. ems

    ems Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1,139
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm having to pick between VBAC and a section too. My first labour was traumatic leading to baby's heart rate dipping and not recovering, she was delivered with ventouse. My 2nd I had an elective section and now my 3rd I have the choice. My midwife and consultant are pushing for a vaginal birth but I don't know what I want to do yet.
     
  10. SuzyW

    SuzyW Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2011
    Messages:
    267
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for your replies, it's confirmed what I thought, that usually you're given a choice after the 1st c-section.

    I would have considered a natural birth, but to have the choice completely taken away has panicked me. My next check up is in December with a doctor so I will discuss this with them. But I will definitely use the counselling either way because I never really dealt with DS's labour and I'm sure it will help.

    When OH asked the midwife why I wasn't being given a choice she said 'money, it costs the NHS more to do a c section because it means a longer stay in hospital'... Typical!

    Thanks again for your responses, it has really helped. :)
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice