Age gaps??

Amylucy

Reaction score
What are / will be the age gaps between your children?

Hubby and I had planned to ttc feb / march of this year, meaning our kids would be 2 and 4 by the time a baby was born (the same age gap between 1&2 that has worked really well so far).

However hubby now wants to wait and I need to have a procedure done on my cervix which means I wouldn't be able to conceive in feb anyway. We would have to wait until I finish uni (1/1.5 years) and worked a year and a half (first year teachers don't get permanent contracts where I live so I would have to work a year at least to get a permanent contract, then 6 months of the next year to qualify for maternity leave). This would make our kids likely to be 8 & 6 by the time a new baby came along.

Hit me with your thoughts on that age gap? Do you have kids with a similar age difference? Any pros / cons I should be considering?

There is 18 months between mine, DS is 3 (nearly 4) and DD is 2 years 5 months. We are TTC sometime this year so depending on when i get pregnant etc i have worked it out DS should be at least 6 or 7

We plan to ttc in Autumn this year.
If baby was to be born next summer my kids would be 12, 9, 4 I like a bigger gap :)

We will have approx 3.5 year gap which is bigger than I'd like but I think it'll work well. I personally wouldn't try again after a 6 year gap.
xx

A lot of people have negative things to say about bigger gaps.
Having had experienced a smaller and a bigger gap, I personally think bigger gap is so much easier in many ways. :)

I love the bigger gap, infact having 3 kids is easier than having 2 due to the age gap between my first and second.

Well there is 10 years bewteen me and my sister!!!

I think my mom found it really easy with us and obvs we had a lot of arguments and fights like many sibleings but were still extremly close.

My daughters are 15 months apart and iv found it tough im not gunna lie so im not ttc until xmas this year as i want a 4 year age gap with my first daughter and a 3 year age gap with my second. :flower:

Having had experienced a smaller and a bigger gap, I personally think bigger gap is so much easier in many ways. :)

I love the bigger gap, infact having 3 kids is easier than having 2 due to the age gap between my first and second.

What did you like about the big age gap? I'm worried that the baby would feel a bit left out being several years younger, given that my girls are really close.

What did you like about the big age gap? I'm worried that the baby would feel a bit left out being several years younger, given that my girls are really close.

I went through a really tough time in pregnancy and after the birth so was so thankful i didn't have a toddler to worry about when i was really ill.

I like that my older two were pretty independent. they are great helps with their little Brother and love him to bits, they are like little mummies.
They Just dote on him.

My nieces are the same, they are 14 & 16 and have a 3 year old little sister.

Weathers My daughters and my older nieces fight a lot cos they are closer in age.

Bigger gaps were easier for me.
when i had a baby and toddler it was hard work having 2 little ones relying you to do EVERYTHING for them.

Weathers the gap i have now, they can do a lot for themself and love helping their little brother. I don't think he will feel left out as he gets a lot of attention from his big sisters.

I have older siblings raging from 7-15 years older than me and we all get on great and i have lots of fond memories from my childhood with them.

51 weeks between my 2 boys, not sure when we are or if we will try for number 3, something we are going to start talking about next year

I want my children to be at least 2-4 years apart.

DD will probably be around 7/8 before we start trying. She's going to be 5 in 3 days though. Im worried that would be too big of gap.I asked my manager once about age gaps since she has various ages, and she's basically said , "Yeah, you don't want to wait too long" :/ I had a coworker who had a 10 year gap and she loved it.

There's 2.5 years between my two. We're hoping for a 2-2.5 year age gap between each.

I have a 16 month age gap between my first and second and a 2 1/2 year age gap between my second and third. Personally, I liked the 2 1/2 year age gap a lot better; it seemed a lot easier.

I'm TTC now and if I get pregnant right away, there will be a 7 year age gap between my first and fourth and a 6 year age gap between my second and fourth. (My youngest passed away, so there won't really be an age gap to compare there :( )

I'm a bit worried about the bigger age gap, but I'm sure it'll be fine. :) I plan on having two more children with a 2-3 year age gap between them.

My two kids have a 4.5 year gap and I loved it. My daughter took the role of little mommy but at the same time sees her little bro as a playfriend too - he can still keep up with her, she's not too mature for them to not have anything in common.

I couldn't really imagine a smaller age gap because until my daughter was 3, I was sure I was a one-child kind of woman. Then, I was desperate for another and when he was born I felt sure I was perfectly happy and done having children. Now he's 3 and I feel like possibly our family could grow.

I'm currently a little worried about the age gap between a third child and my first. If I got pregnant right now or in the next few months, that could give a due date end of 2015, early 2016 and she would be 8, son would be 4. And that's the very smallest age gap because I'm not trying and it could be a year later than that. I kind of feel like 9 years is a big age gap but it could also work out great, I guess I don't know.

I have 17 months between my first two, they are now 8&6 and my youngest is coming up to 17 months. Iv found there are good and bad points with big and small age gaps. When I had my first two close together it was hard work but I love how close they are and how they always have someone to play with. Having a third much younger has meant starting again with all the baby stuff and lack of time but his big brothers love him and we love having a baby around again ;) we are considering having one more as one closer in age to him couldn't do it as close as the first two tho don't think my body could cope!;)

I don't have children of my own yet so I can't speak from a parent's perspective however I do think, personally, six years is quite a big age gap especially when the others are so close in age.

That being said there is an eight year age gap between me and my younger sisters (twins) and we are really, really close. I think it was easier on them growing up as they had each other but that might have been a different story if there was only one of them. Plus, we are a really tight knit family anyway.

I want to have a similar age gap that my parents had for their four eldest of which I'm the youngest (twins not included) - 2 years then 3 years then 4 years. Also, there is a 6 year age gap between DH and his sister and whilst they get along, I don't think they are as close as I would like my children to be, iykwim.

All that being said, it really is just about what works best for you and your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->