Agnus cactus - after ovulation??

LPF

Reaction score
I've been googling a lot about this and I can't get a consistent answer!

I'm currently taking H&B agnus cactus 400mg 2 tables am and pm. I've read you shouldn't take it after ovulation or in pregnancy and I've also read that if you stop after ovulation it can mess around with your hormones that were more balanced and not sustain a pregnancy......

If you do take it after ovulation, do you carry on with the same level dose or less?

Also, dh bought me some more but he got fruit extract tablets (3.9mg) which say 1 a day on the bottle.....is this the equivalent of 4 capsules a day.....!?

I'm so confused! But it's a good tablet, I took it last cycle before ovulation and felt so much more balanced (me and cycle!) but by AF had shocking pms and I wonder if that would be less by taking AC all month. Don't want it to ruin any chance of sustaining a pregnancy though.....help!

I take FertileAid which contains it, the instructions are to take every day of your cycle and stop only when you get a positive preg test.

As far as I am aware the reason they tell you to stop it once you get a BFP is not because of negative affects but because no tests have been done in the lab so they don't know. I believe my first miscarriage was due to suddenly stopping as the hormones temporarily go out of sync and progesterone drops.
I have done a lot of research and next time I get a BFP I am going to continue taking it but slowly reduce my does throughout the first trimester. There is no evidence of any negative side affects linked to Agnus castus and pregnancy. (Not that I could find) like I said the reason they say stop is because they don't know, However I know people that have taken it through the first trimester with no negative side effects at all and gone on to have a good pregnancy and healthy baby.

I took vitex all cycle long and through the first trimester as well per my doctor. The recommendations to not take it during pregnancy are only based on lack of formal documented studies but withing the midwife community it is accepted as a supplement that actually helps prevent miscarriage. There are several women in the 3 trimester boards who also took it through first tri and we all did great!

As far as stopping vitex after O I have never read anything to indicate to do that? It is actually not a fertility drug that just happens to be a great trickle down effect...it is actually best for balancing hormones after ovulation that can wreak havoc with our pms symptoms. It is widely used in Germany (and other countries but especially there) as a remedy for PMS and luteal phase defect issues. One of it's primary functions is to sustain proper progesterone production after ovulation to reduce pms symptoms and ensure the lining of the uterus will sustain implantation as I understand it.

It worked great for me and many other ladies on BnB but it doesn't work for everyone. I think it's worth trying and if you do be sure to give it at least 3 months and put your patience cap on lol. It can really change your cycle right out of the box and if you chart you may get frustrated with interpreting all the changes initially! Good luck!

Thank you all. I understand a bit more about why I can't find a straight answer now!

I've been taking it since Xmas and I've found my cycles is much more balanced but when I stopped (thinking I should after ovulation) and pms went bonkers so I would like to take it to see if it balances that as well.

I think I'll continue into (fingers crossed) first tri and wean gradually down.

Did you carry on taking 1600mg into first tri?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->