Alcohol before IVF

kittiecat

Mum to Noah & Ella
Reaction score
We haven't even got an initial appointment date yet as we only got referred a few weeks ago but I'm panicking about my Christmas do in December and whether I should drink or not. My boss has laid on a bottle of wine per person which makes it worse and harder to avoid it. I'm feeling pressurised into drinking too. I hardly ever drink normally but when it comes to social occasions I do like a few glasses of wine. What advice were you all given about alcohol in the lead up to ivf. If I did drink I'm planning for this to be the only time over the Christmas period.

Hi,

I wouldn't put so much pressure on yourself just yet, you may not start a cycle until after the new year which means a few glasses of wine at Christmas will not do any harm. In fact my embryologist on my last cycle told me that a glass of red wine would not do any harm (before egg transfer not after).

I say have a couple of glasses at the Christmas do and enjoy yourself. Everything in moderation with both food and drink and staying healthy is the main thing. One of my lovely bnb buddies once said to me 'It's better to be kind to yourself during your cycle than try to do everything perfectly'.

Good Luck.

Kittiecat, I haven't done IVF, this was my first cycle of injectables, but I had one glass of wine during stims. I wouldn't think on it too much. If you didn't drink you could always tell people you were on an anti biotic. I'm in the TWW and that's what I plan on telling people on my birthday this weekend.

Hi!

I wouldn't be too worried if you're only having a few glasses of wine on one occasion. I personally cut out all alcohol before our IVF cycle in September and it didn't make a difference. Our cycle was still unsuccessful, so I'd say if you want a few glasses of wine to enjoy yourself over the festive period then go for it!
After all... how many pregnancies result from a drunken one night stand?

xx

I had a glass of red wine every day up until my bfp. Just don't get drunk, it's fine! Especially if it relaxes you, that's actually a good thing!

I agree with the ladies. In fact, my RE's office told me to have a BALL when I went to New Orleans, days before we started our first IVF cycle. They said not to worry about a thing and just let loose. And we got a BFP that cycle (ended in a mc later due to T-22, so not alcohol-related whatsoever). My office says just not to drink during stims only b/c it may not play well with the stims and you may get flushed or whatnot. And then before retrieval/after transfer.
You'll be absolutely fine for Christmas and I also agree with MrsAMK - you'll be much more relaxed not worrying about anything, which is a good thing!

Thanks everyone! Have decided that, as long as we are not going through any treatment at the time, which is unlikely as we don't even have a first appointment date yet, I'm just going to relax and enjoy Christmas. Thanks for all your reassurance I do really appreciate it.

I agree with what the girls said. I had the worst time worrying over everything and I was so anxious throughout the entire cycle. I do wish I had had the odd glass of wine to relax me, who knows.. it could've made all the difference

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->