Alcohol during PG and TTC

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
Seen the latest advice today?

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6687761.stm

Confused yet? :-k

i think they just like to change it around , makes them feel more important and might make them feel that someone might actually listen to them :rofl:

We talked about this breifly in th first tri. Its stupid I wish they would just say how it is an stick to it. Layla had already spotetd the 'nothing' yet the EPU gave me some info that suggested 1-2 a week is ok! Although I haven't HAD TO have those 2 a week its the conflicting info that drives ppl mad!

yeah i knew about this, there was a program on it not so long ago, a mum had teh old recomendation of 1 to 2 units a week and her son got teh alcohol condition (dont know what its called off the top of my head)

I just dont think its worth risking the babies health just so the mum can feel a bit better a couple of times a week.

drinking or smokeing, im very anti them both now, eap as it took me so long to get this prengancy, sorry.

xx

the safest thing to do is to just not touch alcohol when pregnant

i seen on the news ages ago - they cannot give a diffinate amount as every one is different

eg - i am drunk of 2 glasses of wine some people can handle 5 glasses its the same with the unborn child i suppose.

back in the old days a glass of red wine was recomended and alot of the old people still swear by it and i suppose it done them no harm
but i would never take the gamble

here are the two links i posted in the 1st tri a while ago,

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2479933.stm

https://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/pregnancynutrition/3542.html

x

"I just dont think its worth risking the babies health just so the mum can feel a bit better a couple of times a week."

I've had 2 shandys last week but I didn't to make me feel better about myself :?

I don't feel I did wrong because professionals are the one who voiced the couple of drinks 'safe'. However if I had neaced spirits lightly with no concern I would feel that was wrong of me.

its very much personal choice for the parent.

My views are personal to me, my midwife advised not to drink and the news states it to, doesnt matter if its larger or spirits, if its advised agaisnt then im not taking the chance.

x

But putting such strong judgement on the parent I feel is wrong - it was the make yourself feel better thing. I under your MW told you that but mine told me the opposite although it appears that may change worldwide which is understandable when new things are investigated over time.

I personally question why professionals on such issues can't come to ONE understanding than different information here there an everywhere.

Although a HUGE drinker before i became pregnant i have chosen from the beginning of my pregnancy not to touch any alcohol... personally dont really see the point. And ive never smoked so that was never an issue.

But as said above, personal choice.

The is no 'point' its just relaxing with a cold drink, watching TV or something! Not because the plan is to get hammered!

Now the news says something everyone else is wrong for taking advise off their MW & pregnancy unit :? I know alot of the girls over time here have had a couple or still pg and have a glass now & then.

I got my information only a couple of weeks ago - Not sure I can be seen as wrong listening to the people we should trust!

I personally question why professionals on such issues can't come to ONE understanding than different information here there an everywhere.

i asked my midwife this when i was pregnant - because she told me to have no paracetemol when preg but another doctor said i could have upto 4 a day:wacko:

she said it is because there are no "definates" they cannot do tests on unborn babies to see the risks, so all that can be given out is advice.

if it doesnt make you feel better than why drink it? thats what i dont understand,

i dont agree wtih it, but that doesnt mean everyone in the world should listen to me and stop, if your midwife said to drink, then fine, but im listing to mine and the news reports.

lots of people get judged, i think taking drugs in prengancy is the same as drinking and smoking,it is still a risk, some bigger than others but a risk all teh same, and the baby will still suffer withdrawls at birth, [plus it all adds to teh cot death risks.

but again, thats just MY view, not teh view of the world

x

"if it doesnt make you feel better than why drink it? thats what i dont understand"

Feel better is the wrong way to say it, sorry. Just like to relax with a cool drink & I enjoy the odd one like loads of girls it doesn't make me 'feel better' about anything! In fact think most girls have said "I've had the odd one" on here - I think that was just because it was nice to wind down & enjoy something they liked now & then.

i asked my midwife this when i was pregnant - because she told me to have no paracetemol when preg but another doctor said i could have upto 4 a day:wacko:

she said it is because there are no "definates" they cannot do tests on unborn babies to see the risks, so all that can be given out is advice.
Crazy!! :wacko:

I remember JaidyBabys doctor for example told her not to add any stress on herself in her first tri regarding smoking on other forum.

Wish they would all release & update the information at one time, not just with pregnancy but all sorts of day to day things.

i can understand the winding down and enjoying part, but i wound downa nd enjoyed smoking a few ciggys (i cut down) when i was prenganct with Ethan and it hurt him, watching him in and out of hospital with croup and asthma was hearbreaking and knowing that my smkoing prob did that is torture to live with, he cant run around lots without coughing, cant swim lots without getting out of breath :(

thats why im so anti it now, i learnt the hard way so im not willing to risk anything this time round.

like i said tho, its MY view, everyone has the right to do what they think is best for them

x

I honestly understand your concern & anti thoughts on things I can't imagine how you felt as you blame yourself. I guess it's something that makes us learn a lesson often to late but can give you a slap for the future choices.

Its just feeling judged on something that we're told is ok that I felt a bit uncomfy with.

On another note I missed my Bacardi :cry:

I agree with Dionne, whereas most babies are fine if mom drinks 1-2 units a week, there are a small minority who aren't and there is no way of saying how your baby will react. I did have an occasional drink much to the horror of an American Dr, but its personal choice. TBH I hadn't seen the recent research, the one that showed how a baby reacts when mom drinks alcohol and I can't say whether I will have a drink next time.

I had a couple of bacardis when we moved in here an it was the day my AF was due - I stayed to a couple because I knew it was a BFP but well going on my history I wasn't exactly 'over the moon' an expected to bleed within a few days as usual but for some reason had a couple & left it there. I am glad I did!

Since then I have bought my OH beers & me ribena LOL Then the other day I had 2 weak shandys & the next day I bought OH beers & me J20. So I wouldn't say I've been stupid (my word).

I got absolutely shit faced the weekend before finding out I was pregnant. And I celebrated being pregnant with a sip of champagne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->