All mothers who's babies will not take a bottle age 4+ month

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
It's no secret my daughter will not take a bottle there is just no way it's ever going to happen. I have learned to accept this and have bought a Doidy cup which i have been using here and there. She seems to like it and will drink from it but it is very difficult to use and its very easy to choke her. If she's really hungry she can get very stressed out with it and just cry.

My question is how long did it take the ladies who's babies wouldn't accept a bottle to switch their baby over from BF to cup feeding and how long did it take to get the hang of it?

I'm wanting to start and switch Ellie over to the cup and stop BF in the next month but i is proving extremely difficult with this HUGE problem.

Hi MishC
Congrats on giving your baby such a wonderful start in life! Breastmilk is truly, totally, amazing - you have done so well by her to give her such a lovely start in life.

I'm not sure why you want to cease feeding now. Many mums, for instance, manage to combine working and breastfeeding without difficulty; they feed when they're with the baby, and the baby gets a mixture of solids, EBM or even FF when they're with the carer. But that's perhaps another topic. BF doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing choice, there are ususally intermediate possibilities short of total weaning.

How does your DD feel about BFing? Obviously it's a two-way relationship, and she may have strong views about what she eats and who her dinner companions are!!!!

There's a good guide to introducing a bottle to a BF baby here: https://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T025000.asp

Let us know how it turns out!

HTH

Mel

hi

my dd is 14 weeks - i tried various teats and she would just play with then or gag - then i tried the nuby tommy tipee teat - it has spots all over it

she takes this fine - i put this teat on the dr browns bottle so there are no air bubbles

i didn't think she would take it - i went out one night and my husband tried with her and as she was so hungry she gulped it down - maybe get someone else to try when she is quite hungry

good luck

I've tried every trick in the book with bottles i have about 8 different kinds i've tried EBM and Fomular and i've tried them at different tempretures and with different people trying to feed her with me both close by and well out of sight. I have accepted that she isn't going to acept it and i have spoke to my HV today. She told me the only way she'll accept it is if i stop BF (totally) and she'll get that hungry over a couple of days that she'll have no choice but to take it as she'll be literally starving! Now there is no way i am going to put my daughter through that when i know she'll take milk from a cup, i know it's a lot more difficult but it's me who'll have the hard job learning it not my daughter. It will be a lot less destressing for her.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had the same problem and how long it took for them to get the hang of the cup. :)

I have to go back to work in jan so we are trying so hard to get Ilana to take milk from anything other than me. The only thing that is working for us is consitency. In the past we've tried here and there but never consistently. Now we HAVE to or she'll starve when I go back. So when I wake she has a breast feed, then nothing from the boobs until a set point that day. Yesterday she did 5am-1.30pm. Today she woke later so has so far gone from 6.30am and is about to have her second cup feed.

We have a doidy cup but at the moment our best success has been with a Tommee Tippee Nuby cup with a soft spout which she can chew on. It says for 6m plus but it's the ONLY one she will try to drink from and she won't let us take it out of her mouth if she's going for it! She took 50ml from it earlier, a huge thing for her.

Make sure you are firm and consistent but realistic. Cutting it out completely is cruel, like you say.

It's a total nightmare isn't it. I'm starting to worry now because the cup is so difficult to use but she will take milk from it.

Ellie doesn't tend to chew so i don't think that would be any good to her but i'm going to get on to try anyway ...lol

Do you find your daughter gets stressed out when you are trying to feed her from a cup?

:hugs: We're not at the stage you are at but I wanted to give you hugs - we have also tried every single possible thing we can think of and my LO will not accept a bottle.

I'm interested to see how you and becstar get on :hugs:

Well i've started to wean ellie so i don't have to give her as much milk from the cup. It's a bit of a pain but i'm sure we'll get it there.

It's a total nightmare isn't it. I'm starting to worry now because the cup is so difficult to use but she will take milk from it.

Ellie doesn't tend to chew so i don't think that would be any good to her but i'm going to get on to try anyway ...lol

Do you find your daughter gets stressed out when you are trying to feed her from a cup?

She did, yes - the times we've had success are when we try before she gets really hungry, and with that cup.

How is the weaning going? If she's okay taking rice etc from a spoon can you spoon some more milk into her after? We've sometimes got a bit more milk into Ilana that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->