Allergy to lactose/dairy

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by EllaAndLyla, Nov 19, 2011.

1. EllaAndLyla

EllaAndLyla Earth and Angel mummy!

I'm looking for a little advice really... Lyla used to suffer from severe constipation, it started at about 2 weeks old and only stopped at about 15-16 weeks because of a change in milk. We tried all the different brands, all the different varieties etc and found that soya milk was the only one she could tolerate. The constipation got better, she wasn't in pain, the vomitting calmed down. All was good.

We have now struck another problem, in the past week we have started slowing introducing her to food so that she is ready for full on weaning at 6 months. She had some cauliflower cheese last night, went down well and she enjoyed it. Then this morning it was like we had rewinded time, she seemed uncomfortable and her poo had changed back to what it was before, rock solid and very dark in colour. My worries are that she has a dairy or lactose allergy..

Does anyone have any experience in this? I can't amagine my baby growing up not being able to eat certain food (especially cheese because me and OH are cheese lovers!). Really need some advice or reassurance!

2. emiliasmummy

emiliasmummy Well-Known Member

hi hun ,
    if you have a read through some of my older posts youll find some tips as my daughter lactous intol and dairy allergie ,best advise is to go to your doctors for some tests nappy sample and then a referral to a diet nurse hun ..... but by the sounds of it she may have so just avoid them foods til you know what it is ..... lots of jars have lactous added so read the lables ellas kitchen the best stuff .

good luck and pm me if you need a chat x

3. sapphire1

sapphire1 Well-Known Member

Holly has cow's milk protein intolerance, so cannot have any dairy at all in her diet and is on an elemental formula. She's under the care of a dietician, who will help me reintroduce dairy when she's 1. If your LO does have an intolerance she will likely grow out of it by the time she's 1. If not, most children grow out of it by the time they're 3. The best thing to do is get LO diagnosed, you'll likely be entitled to free prescription formula then as well and will also get a dietician referral. It's not that bad feeding an intolerant baby. I do make Holly's food though, as most readymade baby food contins milk. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else. x x

4. EllaAndLyla

@ Emiliasmummy -Thank you so much! Most of the times we have gone to the doctors about it they have just turned their noses up. We have had to go to a&e before due to her not pooing for around 10 days and they didn't do much. I did tell them I think its an allergy and asked for a test but they no its not etc.. I am nearly 100% its an allergy or intolerance of some sort as it cleared up as soon as the soy milk was introduced and came back as soon as cheesy/milky foods were eaten. Luckily I have an appointment with the health visitor next week to get her weighed etc, we also think she has developed slight reflux too so are going to get that checked out asap. Just crossing my fingers it isn't something too serious.

When your daughter drank milk what was her reaction to it? Like how did you realise it was an allergy etc? Thanks for the reply, Emilia is a beautiful name, I have a cousin named that from italy :) xx

5. EllaAndLyla

@sapphire - Thanks! I was told by my health visitor last time we went for a weighing at 16weeks that when she is 6months (which is so soon!!!) a nutrisionist would be a good idea for us to get advice etc. We only started weaning last week, so far she has been fine with all of the foods other than the cauliflower cheese she had, my plan is to give her little tastes of things until 6 months and then start offering finger foods. I think in the morning I'll give the health visitor a call and see if I can get reffered to a nutritionist asap for some help! Thanks for the reply :) its so horrible thinking that something could be harming your baby and its so nice that people can relate etc xx

6. sapphire1

It's actually easier than you think. I didn't see a dietician til Holly had been weaned for 5 months already :dohh: All I did was look for recipes that didn't contain cheese. Holly has kara coconut milk in lieu of milk, and vitalite instead of butter. You can buy a cheese alternative made from soya, but I'm not too keen on giving her soya, so I just don't bother. You do have to make sure they have a highish formula intake though - Holly still has 3 x 7oz bottles a day even though she's 11 months. It's because they don't get dairy in their food, which is what most LOs would get to top up their milk intake if they don't drink much. Good luck!

7. EllaAndLyla

Funny, I actually made a post earlier in weaning and nutrition saying how she has started dropping milk. She hasn't had a night feed for a while now because she naturally dropped it at around 16 weeks. She would have usually had 40oz a day 5x8oz feeds, she dropped the night feed so it was just 4x8oz feeds. Now that she has been eating solids she has dropped right down, by well more than half! This morning (9am) with her food she only took 3oz, 2pm also with food she took 8oz, and this evening at around 7pm she only took 3oz. We give her half a small pot of food with each feed so thats probably whats filling her up so much but she doesn't seem hungry throughout the day. I think a nutrisionist is in order for me!!!

8. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

Sorry to post crash but we are here too. I am BF so slightly different, but I have re-introduced dairy into my own diet since I started weaning, and DS is now suffering terrible wind and appears to have eczema which he has NEVER had before. I have had no help from the HV or Dr, they basically just say keep giving him dairy slowly. I am too scared to give it to him direct so he has still only had it through me. I didn't realise they could actually test for it. How do you get a referral if your GP is clueless?

9. sapphire1

They can't conclusively test for it til LOs are 1, it's usually more of an assumption although sometimes they will send a stool for analysis. Holly was never tested, but she was diagnosed because only an elemental formula got rid of all her symptoms (including silent reflux). Check with your HV, in some areas they are able to give referrals. I had to get a gp referral, but it was already on Holly's notes that she had CMPI and she has been on prescription formula since a couple of weeks old. The gp may send for a dietician referral anyway, even if they are hopeless when it comes to giving advice themselves. Although we haven't started reintroducing dairy yet, I believe it will be just introducing bits at a time. The dietician will advise me on which foods to start on.

10. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

Thanks, do you know if dairy could trigger eczema, or is that just a coincidence?

11. sapphire1

Excema is a common dairy intolerance symptom, although not all LOs have it. Holly never suffered from excema, all her symptoms were gastrointestinal. It is likely that CMPI is causing your LOs excema.

12. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

:cry: Now I feel bad.
    I might try cutting out dairy again, but I am back at work soon and I am going to need to use some formula as a back up as I doubt I will be able to pump enough. Where can I get it? I have been mixing his weetabix in the morning with oat milk, is that OK?
    Sorry to take over the thread with questions!

13. StarShine_

StarShine_ Well-Known Member

My LO is also on soy milk now. My gp was most unhelpful and I was forever back and forth. I ended up taking her to the towns walk in medical centre, and basically begged for help. The doctor was so helpful and suggested changing her milk. It was like a switch had been flicked, suddenly a happy contented little baby! Went back to my gp who told me it was in my head and I must put her back on regular formula! Unsurprisingly I have now switched surgeries! My hv has done us a referral for a dietician. Apparently they will be able to guide us on how to re-introduce dairy. If the appointment doesn't come before she is weaned I will just avoid dairy until we have seen the dietician.

14. sapphire1

:hugs: Don't feel bad Cattia. Oat milk is fine to use with cereals, I use that or kara coconut milk. Just don't use rice milk - it contains arsenic! :wacko:

You can only buy soya formula readily. However, soya formula isn't recommended for LOs under 6 months. Also, babies with an intolerance to milk often develop an intolerance to soya too as the proteins are very similar. I don't give Holly any soya substitutes in her food either, as I chose not to after researching. CMPI is best treated with a hypoallergenic formula, especially designed for allergies and intolerances. If you visit a dr they will usually try a hydrolyzed formula first (like Aptamil or C&G pepti). They're still made from cow's milk, but the proteins have been broken down to make them easier to digest. If LO can't tolerate that (as Holly can't) they will switch to an elemental formula, which are made from amino acids instead. Holly is on Nutramigen AA, Neocate is the other formula commonly used. You can buy hypo formulas online, but they're very expensive. Elemental formulas are just over £30 for a small tin, and hydrolyzed ones are about half that price. It's best to see a dr (or even better a paed) to see if they will prescribe hypo formula for your LO. Sorry for the essay lol!