Almost 6 months postpartum - still bleeding

CooCooCaChoo

Mother of 3!
Reaction score
Anyone else have anything similar? I've been to the Dr. Ultrasound results showed fluid in the uterus, but otherwise normal. I got my first period 6 weeks postpartum while I was still bleeding from delivery. Since then my period comes every month like clockwork. I can tell the difference between my period and this other bleeding by texture and consistency. My period blood is red and thinner, this other bleeding is dark brown and thick like pudding. Sometimes, the week before my period the bleeding will stop and I will think "maybe this is the month its finally going to quit". Then I get my period and the bleeding continues for the next 3 weeks. My doctor has offered to do a D&C but I have had 2 of those in the past (for other reasons) and I don't want to go thru any more surgeries. All 3 of my kids were born via c-section and I've not had this problem in the past. Can anyone relate?

Did your doctor do blood work? Could it be hormonal bleeding instead of pp bleeding?

No, she only did a pregnancy test as well as an ultrasound to rule out any placenta remnants. I am at a loss. Its very frustrating. Looks like maybe I should just do the D&C. I can't take birth control pills because of a family history of blood clots. Ugh. I keep giving it another month hoping it will stop on its own. :(

10 weeks after birth and still bleeding. I am concerned!!!! It lightened up to a brownish for a few days then returned bright red. Called and left a message for my OB tonight. I have not had a break.

I'm sorry! I know how you feel. I wish I could tell you what is it but I'm not sure. Mine bleeding is only red during my period. The rest of the time its either brown and thin, or deep brown and thick. I also have cramps, a lot. I have no history of endometriosis so I'm not sure what's going on. Keep me posted hun.

Hi,

I seem to be facing the same problem. I had my lovely baby boy in March and am still bleeding, coming up on nearly 5 months post partum. I stopped bleeding at 5 weeks and then started at 7 weeks. From 7 weeks uptil now I've been bleeding continuously, with breaks of a couple if days here and there. It's not as heavy as a heavy period, but I still need to wear a pad everyday (sorry TMI). It's always bright red. Some days are heavier and some days are pretty light. I had a vaginal delivery with 2nd degree tears and stitches.

I've had an ultrasound and it all looks clear. I was on weekly progesterone shots during my pregnancy, and now the doctor is wondering if that did something to my hormones?! I also cannot take birth control because of a worry if blood clots.

Did things sort out for you? I really don't want to get a d&c done without a guarantee that it will stop the bleeding. I'm just so tired of it though.

I've now stopped for 3 days, did have an ultrasound last Friday, have to call the doctor for results, may not need a D & Click after all, let's hope.

I'm in the week before my period so as of right this minute my bleeding has stopped. Keeping my fingers crossed like I do every month that this will be the month I go back to normal. Good luck Trinity. Hope you are situated.
SC333, I'm sorry you are in this boat. I wasn't on progesterone, so I don't know if it could be related for you, but, hormonal bleeding can happen. Also, we differ where your blood is red and mine is thick brown yuck. Good luck and I hope you get answers soon. I don't want to do a D&C either but I'm tired of this. Guess I will see how next month goes.......

OP it sounds like it could be linked to low progesterone? I believe to properly diagnose it they have to test your levels on I think day 3 and day 18 or 21 of your cycle though it was years ago I was looking into this so those days may be completely the wrong ones. I had this on and off for years both post partum and not though I also had irregular periods at times. Scans turned out totally clear and fine and PCOS was ruled out. NHS didn't seem to give a monkeys about getting to the bottom of it as they only seemed concerned with the fact I have kids already-never mind the upset and inconvenience of having brown mucousy bleeding all the bleeping time. We tried to go private but it was just too expensive for us.

Some of the bleeding was found to be ectropion (cells in the wrong location on cervix) but other times I was examined and it was found not to be that. Anyway a lady on here suggested low progesterone and she was using a progesterone cream, I wasn't so sure about doing that without medical supervision so I took 50mg b6 a day instead, b6 is very strongly implicated in progesterone production and hormonal balance. It worked, stopped the spotting almost immediately gave me two regular cycles then I got pregnant with my youngest. I continued to take the b6 throughout the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy too and I had less bleeding during that pregnancy than with any of my others. I've started experiencing it again after having my youngest, I have dropped the b6 to about 10mg a day, I'm sure if I increased it to 50mg a day it would probably fix everything but it can cause low milk supply and although it didn't do this to me before I don't want to take that risk when my baby is still so small. If you're not BF though it may be worth looking at? Xx

OP it sounds like it could be linked to low progesterone? I believe to properly diagnose it they have to test your levels on I think day 3 and day 18 or 21 of your cycle though it was years ago I was looking into this so those days may be completely the wrong ones. I had this on and off for years both post partum and not though I also had irregular periods at times. Scans turned out totally clear and fine and PCOS was ruled out. NHS didn't seem to give a monkeys about getting to the bottom of it as they only seemed concerned with the fact I have kids already-never mind the upset and inconvenience of having brown mucousy bleeding all the bleeping time. We tried to go private but it was just too expensive for us.

Some of the bleeding was found to be ectropion (cells in the wrong location on cervix) but other times I was examined and it was found not to be that. Anyway a lady on here suggested low progesterone and she was using a progesterone cream, I wasn't so sure about doing that without medical supervision so I took 50mg b6 a day instead, b6 is very strongly implicated in progesterone production and hormonal balance. It worked, stopped the spotting almost immediately gave me two regular cycles then I got pregnant with my youngest. I continued to take the b6 throughout the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy too and I had less bleeding during that pregnancy than with any of my others. I've started experiencing it again after having my youngest, I have dropped the b6 to about 10mg a day, I'm sure if I increased it to 50mg a day it would probably fix everything but it can cause low milk supply and although it didn't do this to me before I don't want to take that risk when my baby is still so small. If you're not BF though it may be worth looking at? Xx

This is so insightful and interesting. Your description of the mucousy blood is spot on, its disgusting. I constantly feel unclean and unattractive because of it. :( I was so relieved when the ultrasound showed normal, but every month that passes and it continues I feel defeated. I don't want to do anymore invasive procedures, that whole part of my body has been poked prodded and cut open enough to last 10 lifetime. I am not breast feeding and will not be having anymore children. I cannot thank you enough for replying to this post. I am going to the store tonight and will be looking into this. Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->