alprazolam while pregnant?????

melaniemarie

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently about 7wks and prescribed alprazolam (xanax), I haven't been to doctors yet because I'm still waiting until I'm further along due to so many mcs, has anyone else taken this during their pregnancy? Everything i read online either says its ok then I read bad things, I'd rather just have personal advice and opinions from women that are in my situation or have known someone and how their outcome was please and thank you.

It's a category D, so I wouldn't take it but if you're on it daily you may have to wean off of it. Talk to your doctor.

https://www.aboutbirthdefects.org/xanax/

There are currently lawsuits against not only manufacturers of Xanax and its generic equivalents but also against doctors who are administering it to women while pregnant. It has been proved to cause congenital defects especially when taken during the first trimester. I'm sure dosing and frequency have a bearing on the outcome and obviously not all mothers have babies with defects who take it but it is a much higher risk than other medications i.e. the class D label on it. I appreciate that it is a very difficult medication to wean off of as well as then having to find alternative ways to cope with anxiety if not taking it but it is a huge decision to make and the outcome is a heavy weight to walk around with for the next 9 months. Please understand I say these things from experience and I chose to not take my Xanax when I got my positive. There are other medications to consider with your doctor and some great relaxation techniques I have learned as well. I actually don't think I will ever take it again now that I'm free of it. It was an awful feeling to think I HAD to have it..almost like a prisoner. Best of luck to you and hoping you can find the happy medium between you and you growing baby.

There are currently lawsuits against not only manufacturers of Xanax and its generic equivalents but also against doctors who are administering it to women while pregnant. It has been proved to cause congenital defects especially when taken during the first trimester. I'm sure dosing and frequency have a bearing on the outcome and obviously not all mothers have babies with defects who take it but it is a much higher risk than other medications i.e. the class D label on it. I appreciate that it is a very difficult medication to wean off of as well as then having to find alternative ways to cope with anxiety if not taking it but it is a huge decision to make and the outcome is a heavy weight to walk around with for the next 9 months. Please understand I say these things from experience and I chose to not take my Xanax when I got my positive. There are other medications to consider with your doctor and some great relaxation techniques I have learned as well. I actually don't think I will ever take it again now that I'm free of it. It was an awful feeling to think I HAD to have it..almost like a prisoner. Best of luck to you and hoping you can find the happy medium between you and you growing baby.

Wow, how far along was you when you got your positive and stopped taking it? Did you wean off or just quit, if I just quit and have withdrawals won't the baby too? And yes you are right this is the worst medication to have to rely on

Wow, how far along was you when you got your positive and stopped taking it? Did you wean off or just quit, if I just quit and have withdrawals won't the baby too? And yes you are right this is the worst medication to have to rely on

My doctor prescribed an alternative medication which was safer than xanax and I used until I completely weaned off meds altogether. I eventually was able to use yoga, meditation, and other natural methods to control my anxiety. It wasn't easy and getting off xanax is a b!t<H but I am happier now and feel better moving forward as a mommy-especially with number 2 on the way! Trust me anxiety won't lessen with a child/children so exploring all your options now before the baby is born might help you in the long run. Xanax isn't meant to be a long term solution it is supposed to be prescribed for acute situations only and when folks are walking around on it everyday it does bad things to your body chemistry. This early in the pregnancy you will be the only one with withdrawal. Good luck

I went to the emergency room when I was pregnant with my first for a panic attack. The doctor prescribed me xanex and told me it was perfectly safe. I read up on it after I had taken it and calmed down; I was FURIOUS. A class D medication? I would not take it during pregnancy unless it was a life or death situation. There are safer alternatives that will help that they can prescribe you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->