Always goes back to babies

PnkPolkaDots

Reaction score
Just a mini vent. It seems like everything has to somehow get twisted around to babies these days. Surely, I'm just more sensitive to it which is why I notice it and am bothered by it so much, but sometimes I wish conversations could just be normal without having to mention babies.

Today at work a coworker from down the hall stopped in and told us (myself and the teacher I work with) that over the weekend she beat her personal record in marathon running. I'm no marathon runner, and have always hated running, but I've lately taken up jogging and am SO proud of myself for how far I've come! I worked through the burning lung phase and kept going the next day even after I worked so hard that I came home and puked. That said, I was interested in the conversation and was enjoying it, and was genuinely excited for my coworker. Then, she throws in, "It was so amazing to go through something so intensely physical and NOT have a newborn to take care of after!" Then she points to the other teacher (here's the singling me out bit...) and says, "Am I right!? Only someone whose had kids could understand! My kids were just like, "Um, what are you talking about mom?"

The part that bugged me most was seeming to get lumped in to the "childless with no clue" group, who were here high school children. Apparently, being childless at 28 means you're just as clueless as a 15 year old. :shrug: I know I'm reading too much into that and she surely didn't mean it like that, but my point is that the conversation topic had NOTHING to do with pregnancy or babies, but once again I somehow get reminded that I don't have children.

Rant over. Thank you. :flower:

I understand exactly how you feel! I am getting tired of the "oh you will find out how hard it is when you have a child and how your life will change." Uhh duh of course your life changes and you have to adapt to it. I am fully aware of that thank you. People don't realize how hurtful the things they say can be. After I have kids I will never say stuff to a friend/coworker who does not have any children. It is tasteless and hurtful especially because you have no idea what they have gone through.

Sorry for my rant. Just keep your head high and tell them to shut up because they have no idea what you have gone through. :)

Thank you. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know nobody means anything, but it just gets under my skin. Of course I don't *know* how giving birth and raising a baby will be based on experience, but I have an idea, because I think about it, read about it, and talk about it. That should count for something over the people who have never thought about it and don't even have kids on their radar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->