am freaking out

TennisGal

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I realise I am going to sound like a complete nutter here, but I am so worried.

My DD has a cold - it has literally come out of nowhere. We don't have colds, we haven't been out this week because of the weather...but last night, it just arrived. She's very stuffed up. :nope:

I've been reading how sometimes colds can be symptomatic of sids, and it's got me so worried. I actually feel a bit sick with worry. Is this true?

Also, do I take her to the doctor with a cold? She has no fever - so was going to provide tlc at home.

I know I am asking bizarre questions - lack of sleep and worry means I need a few sensible people to talk me through facts!

My LO has a cold too, she could barely breathe because of it! And she's only 6 weeks :-( But have been using a saline solution and one of those baby nose suckers to clear her nose and already she's a lot better and the cold is fading :)

I wouldn't worry, babies are supposed to get around 6 colds in their first year of life, it's tough but you've just got to charge through it!

I didn't bother going to a doctor as not much they can do :-/

Finn gets stuffed up every time a tooth comes through, cold like symptoms out of nowhere mean teething in this household, at least.

I'm am sure she will be fine. If you can, go to a chemist and get a her some Saline drops and maybe a Karvol plug in. I presume she's still in your room since she's so young, which is really a good thing. If her cold is still persisting, not getting better, or getting worse, after 3 days, take her to your GP.

Really?? We're pretty sure she is teething - she's been chewing like crazy, rubbing her gums and fractious over the last week...now replaced with a cold!

I know she could teeth now, but thought she was too young to cut a tooth?

Thanks ladies - BB, hope your little girl gets well soon. TM - must get a karvol plug-in, they sound good.

Babies get loads of sniffles and colds and blocked noses. Poppy has had a terrible one now for over a month!!!

AM sure she will be fine. It is horrible when they can't breathe properly, but maybe try propping her mattress up slightly to help when she goes to bed. And yes, nose drops might help and a bit of baby calpol if she has trouble sleeping.

I think there are better indicators of SIDS. I used to be so scared of SIDS and did lots of research on it. I believe some things that are relevant and you can control are keeping your baby from over heating and putting a fan in their room so there is air flow around them when they sleep.

Don't worry. I thnk it's just part of adjusting to being a mum!!

Oh, and my friends baby had been grissling from 2 months. She thought he was teething...he is now nine months and still no bloody teeth!!!!

Thanks - it's impossible not to panic, isn't it?! I used to be the most laid back person in the world...I could have client deadlines looming, and still be cool as the proverbial cucumber. I am now a nervous wreck!!

I didn't know that about the fan - should it be used even when the room is cool?

ps-SEVEN months of teething?! Poor baby!!

A fan shouldn't lower the temp of a room, just circulate the air. Or a window slightly open even. I just know i read research about the fans in the room and went straight out and got one!! But then it was nearly 100 degrees in her room! SO harder to control when its this cold.

But honestly, worrying about SIDS is totally natural. It's just hard when you love your LO so much and you want to protect them..

We've got a fan, so I'll use that...maybe a bit cold for the window?

Thanks for the advice - and reassurance - we'd just do anything, anything for DD!

Thanks - it's impossible not to panic, isn't it?! I used to be the most laid back person in the world...I could have client deadlines looming, and still be cool as the proverbial cucumber. I am now a nervous wreck!!

I'm with you on that one. I get paranoid about so much. It's just so nerve wracking being a mum. Can't really help you but just wanted to say you're not the only worry mummy.

You are not alone!!! I had a high-stress fast paced job and dealt with everything so well - now I crumble and stress out at every little thing! My LO had a mild cold a few weeks ago (at 3 weeks - eek) and I was beside myself. I also worry about sids - and didn't know about colds being an indicator - ACK! But I am just following all the recommendations for prevention and trying not to stress about it.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->