Am I Crazy for wanting to use mostly flats/prefolds?

thestarsfall

Reaction score
I really REALLY really want to cloth diaper this baby. I got all excited about it 3 years ago when we first started trying and it took this long to get pregnant and I still really want to do it. Hubby isn't super on board but I don't think he'll mind because he won't be doing the laundry lol.

However, we live in an apartment and have rather expensive laundry machines and so I don't really want to be spending large amounts of money on the laundry and/or driving to my in laws every other day or so to use theirs (which is in their dark and crowded basement and hard to get to) so I was thinking that for me prefolds and flats and handwashing in a bucket in the tub would be totes fine. am I crazy?

A lot of the videos I've watched actually people talk about how much they love flats. and I love the idea of them drying super fast on a line. I like that covers are sorts reuseable until you get poop on them, and I think I would round things out with some pocket diapers as well.

So that said, what are some good brands of flats and prefolds? favourite covers? Would it be ridiculous to buy some old flannel sheets 2nd hand and cut them up and serge the edges and make my own?

I live in Canada but can ship to the USA becuase I live near the border..however with how our dollar is..I'd rather Canada stuff only please. THANKS!

I've heard a lot of people rave about the kawaii brand, I think they are Canadian? We use a lot of pre folds at the moment and like them, spares take up less space in the changing bag than our all in ones lol. The only thing I'd say is make sure you have enough covers to go through three a day. You may get a baby who only poos once every three days like my DS did but equally you may get one who goes after every feed. We also like the prefolds and covers because they dry quickly.

I've used flats and prefolds with my kids and will do with the next baby.

I'm also cutting up a couple of flannel sheets, that way I can get a good newborn size.

They dry so much faster than layered inserts!

Check these out....

https://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/workhorse.html

I ordered some of these in the small and they are great.

The other thing I just thought of is I love folding laundry so having to trifold or pad fold or do fancy folds would be fun for me. Lol, I am weird I know. I was visiting my sister after she had her baby and I just kept like picking up blankets or onesies and folding them and putting them down.

I love that too. Flats dry waaay faster than prefolds and you can shape them in so many ways. I do most of the washing in a large bucket in the bath, but do spin things in the washing machine. But then have never heard of a communal washing facility before (and you gotta pay?? That sucks).

I mostly use flats and prefolds for my baby. They dry quicker for me and less stuffing needed. lol

I do have pockets, hybrids and aio's, but I use those when I go out or when we visit family.

I use a combination of pockets, all in ones, flats and prefolds with covers. I much prefer the flats over the prefolds but I think it's because they are so versatile and dont make her diapers huge with bulk! I use the osocozy brand of both flats and prefolds with flip covers. They work great! My personal favorite diapers we use are the gdiaper type covers with the pouches and I lay the flats in them! They are so trim and cute and I can keep using the same one unless she pooped! Saves on laundry.
I also wash in a bucket in my bath tub even though we have a washer and dryer, I just find I can get things much cleaner more efficiently than my he washer does, but like minties I do throw them all in for a quick spin to get the extra water out, then I either line dry or dry in the dryer. I use a Breathing washer inside a $2.00 lowes bucket, works beautifully. just don't overstuff it!!

I definitely want to cloth diaper our next baby and have been researching a lot. Especially in the beginning i think flats and prefolds will be a good choice. For when we are out of the house AIO/pockets might be more convenient though. We will see. I am not set on only one system so i'm sure we'll figure out what works best for us. The easy washing and short drying time is definitely a plus when it comes to flats and prefolds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"