Am I headed for a c section?

Charmed86

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have diet controlled GD & just had a growth scan. The sonographer predicted that my LO is around 6lbs1oz right now, with his head & abdominal measurements both above the 90th centile. I think his AC is 95% & HC is 97%.

The only thing I really know for certain is that they won't let me go beyond 40wks because of the GD. The last scan I had, a few weeks ago, he was measuring at 3lbs13oz so the only thing we really discussed regarding delivery was that they'll induce me at 40wks if I don't have him earlier & not to worry about his HC as it will squish to fit through the birth canal.

It does concern me that I am really small down there.. To the point that when I was first having sex, I literally had to stretch my vagina to even be able to try! Sorry, tmi!! Obviously, this isn't in my notes.. But it's totally freaking me out.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this, especially the measurements. I know US can be off, but it's all I have to go on right now. I know my boy is quite long anyway! I don't have an official length measurement, but being as he is currently sitting upside down in an L shape, with his legs going across my ribs! I figure he's not exactly small :haha: Hubby is 6'4", so obviously takes after him!

How many weeks are you? I have GD also and they are inducing me at 39 weeks. The last ultrasound I had he was 7pds 11oz. They haven't said anything about c section yet. He has measured in 90th percentile on and off through out. I am 37 weeks now so hopefully he doesn't grow to much from now til the 17th.

I don't have experience with gd, but if it helps at all the growth ultrasounds aren't very accurate. They could really be 2 pounds off in either direction. Good luck though hun

Your body and vagina are designed for this very thing! It's their primary job..go read some positive birth movement stories, you can do this mama.. It's just confidence you need not a c-section!
Good look..
And my first baby at 18 was 9lbs.. I birthed him naturally and some what easily.

It depends, if he/she is head down ready to go they'll likely want to induce, as well, the doctors here prefer not to section obese patients (don't know where you're at, this wouldn't effect me but the OB said this as a general rule as section are riskier with obese ladies). Where they prefer sections, baby's head is up and/or baby is too big. But if the head is down and the tracking shows baby is getting too large they can simply induce earlier, which might make it easier for you too by the sounds of it!

I haven't had GD but my 1st LO was 9lbs 15oz, I'm 5ft 1.5 inches and was petite before pregnancy. I have a narrow pelvis and like you I had issues with tightness down there, I would sometimes tear during sex and during smear tests despite having the smallest speculums :blush:. I was nervous that it would be an issue during pushing, especially as it was noted 3 times in my notes that there was restriction during internal exams, but it was fine. We are designed to stretch during labour and the pressure of the babies head opens everything up in a way that you don't get in any other situation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->