am i mean?

alice&bump

mummy to katie
Reaction score
am i mean for not lettin katie watch telly? she loves it when she sees it apparently...i'm not suprised with all the bright colours and fast moving pictures!!

and apparently she'll learn to read if she watches tv. obv the books i read her teach her jack shit :rofl:

The TV is often on in our house. Especially in the morning because I need it to keep me awake! And Alasdair pays absolutely no attention to it unless it's this morning (big fan of phillip schofield and the dolmio men) but usually we're out by then. He's just not interested. So whilst I don't think you're being mean, I don't think it hurts and she'll get bored anyway!

forgot to add, i'm being told i'm being mean, we do have the telly on a lot of the time, i just dont sit her infront of it with kiddies programmes on!

who said you're being mean? We don't have kids programmes on. The TV is for my entertainment lol. We do resort to sunday morning kids tv tho...but that's because it's seriously the best thing on at 6am, which is quite rubbish really!

i always let zane watch tv but he does have toy time to and wen he can sit up for longer than 2 mins i will encorage him to do more active things rather than sit infront of the tv but i dont think abit does them any harm

I put a baby einstein dvd on in the morning for Kathryn (while she's in her jumperoo), I just don't function @ 7am, so it keeps her entertained for an extra 45min-1 hour, which makes a big difference in mommy's mood for the day. I also have the tv a lot on for me, but she's on her playmat or in her walker, also when she's napping. She's not very interested, she's only this week starting to really "watch" her dvds, still not interested in what I watch though. I also think the TV is great when I'm sick, or need to do laundry, clean, etc.

your not being mean at all :hugs: with megan being so little I don't think tv does much for her but this past weekend I sat her on her donkey seat thing pointing tv while footy was on and she just stared at the screen the whole time

You're not mean at all! I know lots of people that don't allow their children to watch tv!
The tv is ALWAYS on in my house but it's more less for me, it keeps me occupied and entertained when dealing with a fussy baby or feeding her!
I am however guilty of turning the tv on and letting leeanne lay on the floor and watch it as it really calms her down, and sometimes thats the only thing that works!!
I hope that when she gets older she will much rather read books and play with her toys then sit and watch tv all day!

Your not mean, Jasper doesn't get to watch childrens programs - plus I dont think its such a great thing to just put them in front of the TV specifically to keep them entertained.

THAT said, sometimes Jasper will watch tv if he's having floor time in front of the tv - he usually ignores it, but it depends on how noisy/colourful it is, and also, whether his feet are just wwaaayyyyy too interesting to look up from them!

I do have the TV pretty much all day - it keeps me awake at 6am and keeps me from feeling lonely in a quiet house all day... it also keeps me sane when Jasper isn't being quiet!!!

I think there is nothing mean about it!

You're not being mean.

We don't let our LO watch much TV either. She's just over 6 months. I understood that it can overstimulate and I want her to learn the value of interaction and playing myself. It takes a lot of my time though as then I have to be playing with her.

Generally, if we're watching TV in the evenings we put her in her chair facing away from TV and towards us.

That isn't to say she gets no TV - sometimes while hubby and I are watching she's laying in one of our arms with eyes glued :) or she'll be playing on the floor and will wiggle around so she can watch. But we don't let her watch for more than a short while if possible. Usually, if she's in our arms, she falls asleep so it's no biggie.

She appears to like car shows and likes rally racing and Top Gear :) Crazy baby.

But it is our preference for no TV and we don't think it's mean. It's what we think is best for her at this time. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for her to be old enough for Sesame Street and Fraggles and good wholesome children's happy shows :) we've just decided she should be older first.

Same as the ladies above who have babies who watch - they are the parents and they do what is best :) There is nothing wrong with whatever you think is best!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->