am I normal???

buzzy

Reaction score
I'm 11 and a half weeks pregnant, have been suffering from bad morning sickness and lost over 3KG.
None of this really worries me BUT what does concern me is this: I don't feel maternal. This is my first baby, the pregnancy was planned and both of us wanted a child. However I'm worried that I'm not normal because I'm not going gaga over baby clothes or feeling about my pregnancy.
Is this because of the bad morning sickness do you think? Did anyone else have these feelings during early pregnancy?

I'm beginning to feel like a freak! :hissy:

I could possibly be from the ms, once it passes you might start to feel better.
Not everybody feels maternal right away, i think im still a bit distant atm aswell.

Don't worry, although my situation was different to yours I didn't feel maternal at all up till my 12 week scan, and I know a few people who felt the same. I also suffered from terrible m/s and it'll be your hormones as well. x

hey buzzy - i hear you on that one! ours was planned too, and i looked forward to the thought of being pregnant a lot. i've been feeling a bit disappointed though because in reality at the moment i'm just feeling apprehensive and not ready, and the sickness certainly doesn't help! i'm hoping things will kick in after the scan when it gets a bit more real! to make matters worse, OH is euphoric and wells up at any talk of growing foetus etc. i have to laugh, bless him! i'm very glad he's so excited - i feel it makes up for me at the mo. i also find this site helps me to get more excited as the enthusiasm on here is infectious! xxx

Thanks for your replies!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've got my first scan on Thursday so hopefully I'll feel more "with it" after that!
:hug:

It's probably from the m/s and hormones. If you still feel that way after birth please consult youre doctor. It can be a chemical embalance. You will need meds to sort the embalance out and get back to normal. Big hugs and try not to worry so much. Nothing is youre fault and nothing is wrong with you as a person. Pregnancy can make you alittle wooky feeling

Hey Buzzy,
I've only recently started to "like" my little Button. Although it wasn't a planned pregnancy, I'd always kinda wanted one anyway... but when I found out I was pregnant it was horrible.
I had a scan at 6 weeks 'cause there were a few problems, and the sonographer handed me a print out of the picture... and I chucked it in the bin when I got home, declaring to my mother "It's just a blob, what do I want that for?!"
Then last week (12w) I was in town and had the sudden urge to head for Mothercare. It was quite a trek - I had to get on 2 seperate buses to get there. When I did, I went all mumsy...

So I think it's normal at first. You have so much whizzing around your head anyway, and as there are no actual "positive" signs of pregnancy (like feeling kicks or whatever), all you have to focus on is the sickness.
I think you'll come through though hun *hugs*

I can understand where you're coming from..

Heh, I've been wanting this baby for so long and it was planned and I've been sooo happy about the whole thing.. And then, for some reason, today I just don't feel excited about the thought of having the baby here at the end of it.

I think I've OD'd on reading birth announcements and 'what to do once bubs is here' and now I'm just kinda thinking that for some reason I wont bond with it.... I don't go all mushy inside at the thought of it at the moment. Hopefully it'll pass and I'll start to get excited again.. Got myself worrying that I won't end up loving and bonding with it :blush:

to be honest, I don't think I am ever going to be gonig gaga over baby clothes, without radically altering my personality. I planned the pregnancy, I love my baby but most my interests lie outside of nursery furniture. I don't think this is me lacking maternal instincts.

Hi Buzzy - I know where you're coming from. I've had the most awful morning sickness for the last 8 weeks and there are times where I've felt so emotionally frustrated, exhausted, resentful, angry, hurt, the list goes on. Pregnancy plays havoc with your body and having morning sickness 24/7 does not help one bit.

But then I touch my tummy and know I have a beautiful little baby growing inside me. I've had several scans already and each time I see the baby on the monitor, my heart melts and all that hurt and suffering goes.

Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who's sickness will pass in the next month or so x

I wish you the best of luck :) :)

Thank you everyone who has replied!
Being new to the forum, I haven't yet worked out how to thank people individually in a post...
Today Im feeling a bit better (so far) so I hope that it's a good sign!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->