Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by HaRLeQuiN, Apr 27, 2009.

1. HaRLeQuiN

HaRLeQuiN Pregnant - 1st Trimester

So I just came back from visiting with my fiances mom, dad, and sis. His mom told us months and months ago that she was going to chose a unique name for "grandma" in a different language since our baby will have two grandmas. So I find out tonight that the "unique" name she chose was "moma" (moh-mah) whish I guess is gaelic. To me it sounds a lot like "momma" and I hate it. A young child wont be able to distinguish "moma" from "momma" for many years so I'm going to have to listen to my baby call his grandma "momma"!?!?! I tried talking to my fiance about it but he got all defensive like I was insulting his mom? I dunno, am I overreacting?

2. Ravelyn

Ravelyn Well-Known Member

I don't think you are over-reacting.
    You want your child to be able to associate "momma" however it is pronouce with you, and only you.

Maybe direct her to this link and explain to her how you feel. She might be understanding.
    https://www.namenerds.com/uucn/granny.html
    https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/277291/fun_grandma_names_for_the_modern_grandmother.html

My niece and nephew called my mom "Nanny" cause she felt she was too young to be a grandma. They called their grandfather Pappy.

Ask your OH how he would feel if his father wanted to be called "DaDo" or something similiar to DaDa. See what he says.

3. dizzy duck

dizzy duck Mummy to Oliver

I don't think you are over reacting at all hun, I would talk to her and tell her its nice but its too close sounding and you would feel uncomfortable, Im sure she will understand, good luck, take care :hugs: XX

4. lisac25

lisac25 mum to 2 beautiful girls♥

i dont think your over reacting i would feel exactly the same!!!! my little girl has 2 grandmas and 1 great grandma, all of which prefer to be called nanny, we have one nanny one nanny heather and my mum is nanny with the chickens lol (because she has chickens obviously, it just kinda stuck lol)

5. 2nd time mum

2nd time mum Well-Known Member

I don't think you are overreacting either! I would defo put my foot down there. My son has 3 grans (2 grans and one great gran). Both grans are called gran and then their surname but just gran when he talks to them and the other one is Granny Meg - her name. I can see why she would want something unusual but not that! Good luck on getting around this one x