Am I pregnant? or is this typical after first baby?

KL50

Reaction score
Ok, so I had our first in Feb of 2013. We are trying for our second. Cycle wise, I breastfed for a bit but had issues so stopped after 4 months. I started getting my period again in July 2013. my cycle ran about every 15-25 days (never been regular to a T). So July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov-got my period. Last one was at mid-end Nov.
Since then, no period. BUT, all pregnancy tests have been negative. Within this time, I have taken several ovulation strip tests (just the skinny strip one's) and every time the test said I was ovulating (which hard to tell since period stopped-can't count days from that).
Still no period, pregnancy tests, still negative. Earlier I thought I might be, but beginning to think I was just psyching myself up with symptoms. Boobs will hurt occasionally (nothing like they did with my first, considering that was never a symptom for me during the time of my period in the past).
So now, according to my tracker (which is tracking my cycle at 15 day increments) it shows I am 40 something days late. I don't consider this exact, so let's say 30 days or a month for miscalculation sake.
Is it normal for your period to stop after it started? I know it takes awhile for your body to readjust after giving birth.
I have thought about calling the doctor. But it has been almost 2 months since having my period.
Any one else have a similar experience?

Hi KL50,
A 15 day cycle is REALLY short - I doubt that you could be ovulating on the shortest cycles, I don't know about the longer ones. Do you track your fertility signs or chart at all? Have you been having eggwhite cervical fluid?

It is possible that you were not ovulating at all, and now your body is gearing up for the first ovulation... mine took about 2 months of trying to ovulate, with lots of CM and ovary pain before the egg was actually released.

It might be very helpful to visit a doctor and get some bloodwork done. I would also recommend starting to chart (BBT and CM) so that you can tell what is going on with ovulation!

Maybe I will call to see if they want to see me. I looked back on my app and it was actually
So now, really thinking maybe I wasn't ovulating.
I haven't started charting, maybe time to start. I have had the CM at times.
I haven't tried the temp yet. I have hyperthyroidism (visit that doc today so will bring this up just to see how/if related) so I feel like the temp tracking may not be effective.

I am feeling a little lost, and stupid not knowing for sure about this. :wacko:

HI KL50. Don't feel stupid. A lot of us don't know much about our cycles until trying to conceive or having a child. I knew almost nothing until I had a little trouble TTC mine. I am having a similar problem which may or may not be due to recent birth control use or maybe PCOS. Maybe my hormones are just wacky, who knows?

I do wonder though. Are your OPKs darker or as dark as the control line when you take them? True positives are always as dark or darker. A lot of people don't know that and I apologize if you did. Everytime I use an OPK there is a second line but only before I ovulate or try to ovulate is the line as dark or darker.

I would call the doctor and see if they want to see you. They always tell me to wait it out but I understand that having no AF is frustrating, confusing, and a little scary. I'm considering calling my doctor for the same reason. Best of luck to you!

ImSoTired, I just called the doc! told them what is going on and will see what they say. I know the "wait it out" is probably a customary response, so guess I will expect that but will be thrilled if they can offer anything additionally. I go for an annual checkup in April but certainly don't want to wait that long on this.
Yeah, didn't know this could be related to PCOS or what it even is, fully. But trying not to get too ahead of myself yet. thinking I might also have just wacky hormones.
When I do the Ovulation test strips (and for reference, who knows this could or could not impact maybe-but I am using Fairhaven Health BFP Ovulation test strips.
and almost every time -once about a month ago, 1 1/2 weeks after that, then this past Tues night) were all strong, true positives where the test line was darker than the control line. Which, I was wondering by the way the difference when the test line still shows up or is lighter than control line, so thank you!
but after this Tuesday night, I was curious so I took another last night same time (all of these were done same time, around 7 pm at night) and last night the test and control line were the same (neither darker than the other).

KL50 I only considered PCOS for myself because I have a few symptoms and this is the second time I have had irregular, long cycles. I doubt that this is the case for you, so please don't worry. It's more likely that your cycles are just a bit off and will return to your normal in time. It may actually be a good-ish sign that your cycle is longer than 15 days this time and you keep getting positive OPKs? Maybe you're trying to ovulate and not having much success but your body trying to do the right thing is better than it doing the wrong thing such as not ovulate at all. That's just my positive outlook. I also go for my yearly appt in April but I hope this problem is sorted out by then. I'm hoping AF makes an appearance soon for the both of us.

ImSoTired-oh yeah, but I like to have my eyes open at least and not blind sided-(even if it is a bad outcome). Doesn't hurt to hear of other options or insight. You just never know. I have seen a lot of posts suggesting that though about PCOS.
Yes, will look positive for both of us for some answers soon!

I hope thing straighten out soon!
Here is a link to a group on BabyCenter about thyroid issues, someone there might be able to answer if that would affect temping?

Sorry I can't post links yet, but if you go on the babycenter forums, it is called "thyroid_issues_concerns"

Maybe I will call to see if they want to see me. I looked back on my app and it was actually
So now, really thinking maybe I wasn't ovulating.
I haven't started charting, maybe time to start. I have had the CM at times.
I haven't tried the temp yet. I have hyperthyroidism (visit that doc today so will bring this up just to see how/if related) so I feel like the temp tracking may not be effective.

I am feeling a little lost, and stupid not knowing for sure about this. :wacko:

Hi KL! I wanted to say that if you are hyperthyroid, that can definitely affect ovulation - most people don't ovulate if hyper. That can explain your strange cycles. If you want to have another baby, you probably want to get your thyroid straightened out as soon as possible. Being hypothyroid can also affect fertility, and you should be monitored closely while pregnant. Hope that helps!

mm, I will check out that link, thanks!
Well I went to the thyroid doctor yesterday and my levels were a little funky. I HAD hyperthyroidism.. during pregnancy off the meds, my levels were pretty balanced out right before and during. I can tell something has shifted. Well now, I am on the hypothyroidism side. And that was on the high end of normal to where she said we can sit on it for 3 months (no meds) or another option was to do the radioactive dye to shrink/kill the thyroid and take thyroid replacement. The last option seems a bit invasive for me at the moment and out considering I am TTC.
I asked her about that.. if it effected ovulation and she didn't seem to think so. I can see how it would. But she said levels of thyroid weren't directly correlated to ovulation per se.
So, waiting to hear back from my OB/GYN today, I called her yesterday and should hear back this morning. At least on the ovulating part. I will ask/tell them about the thyroid visit.
I have also put on 10 pounds since first baby. I know exercise and eating right is not going to hurt me.. I need to get on a plan!

Ok, so went to thyroid doctor last week. My hyperthyroidism has now moved over to hypothyroidism. the doctor recommended, killing the thyroid with radioactive dye and being on a supplement (which is now out now that I am TTC). or meds, or we could wait on meds 3 months and test levels again (it was at the high end of normal so not necessary to take action per se) so I opted not to right now. I do have hot flashes (which come from the hypothyroidism). The endocrine doctor (told her about all this going on with TTC) and she said thyroid shouldn't effect ovulation. We didn't talk about cycle.
Then, I called my gyno, just to check.. told her the situation and she put me on a progesterone to jump start my period again. I was worried, what if over the last week or so even conception would happen. But she said to test and if negative, go ahead with progesterone. So I did, Saturday. Day 4 of that today, still no period. She said if I don't get it in 5-7 days to call back, they may want to see me as it could be something else. The gyno suggested I go on the hypothyroid meds to go ahead and get levels straightened out as much as possible. and that the thyroid could affect my cycle...
so we'll see.. called thyroid doc to see about going on meds and will go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->