Am i right (cloth nappies)

MummyinJune

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to cloth nappies and wanting more infromation on them/check that what i know is correct etc if thts poss. Also some tips would be very much appreciated :):flower:

I have ordered my first nappies - pocket nappies - Am i right in saying these should fit most sizes, 2/3 inserts to be put into pocket (fleece or disposable liners if wanted) What is your experience with these nappies?

How often will i need 2 change these nappies? (My son is nearly 5months if this makes a diff)

Flip - You do not need to change the nappy but only the insert at each time??

Dealing with poop - how do you do it? Just so i know how 2 be as prepared as poss haha

Thank you so much x

Hi, Im new to cloth nappies and wanting more infromation on them/check that what i know is correct etc if thts poss. Also some tips would be very much appreciated :):flower:

I have ordered my first nappies - pocket nappies - Am i right in saying these should fit most sizes, 2/3 inserts to be put into pocket (fleece or disposable liners if wanted) What is your experience with these nappies?

How often will i need 2 change these nappies? (My son is nearly 5months if this makes a diff)

Flip - You do not need to change the nappy but only the insert at each time??

Dealing with poop - how do you do it? Just so i know how 2 be as prepared as poss haha

Thank you so much x

Well, I've never had any experience with those particular diapers, but I use flat cloth and thirsties diapering system. With the flat cloth I use a snapi and have to change it about every 45mins - 1 hour. With the thirsties it is a bit harder since they have a cover, and sometimes she will not let me know that she has wet or pooped. But when it comes to poop, I just scrape what I can in the toilet rinse of the diaper or insert then throw it in the washer.

I hope this helps you and good luck with the cloth diapers!!!!

You will need to change every 2/3 hrs. The inserts go in the pocket, the liner goes on top next to babies bum.

With flips if the poop is solid you can get away with just changing the insert each time but if its still runny poo I found it would tend to leak on to the wrap part too and it would need changing.

:flower:

Thanks girls. Would ebay cheapys be good enough? What ones do you recomend? I was told 'hemp' but i dont no what size to get ?? :S

Thanks girls. Would ebay cheapys be good enough? What ones do you recomend? I was told 'hemp' but i dont no what size to get ?? :S

You're most welcome!!!

I definitely recommend hemp or organic cotton. As for size, I'm not too sure myself, but I can look some stuff up for you if you would like? An ebay is an excellent place to get them, i ordered alot of my diapering stuff from amazon also... I have two baby kicks hemp fleece covers and hemp inserts and I love them... they have little snaps to where you can adjust the size of the cover as the baby grows.

Oh yes please tht would be lovley and so helpfull!! The inserts that come with them, are they ok? Im scared i get bad ones - just bcause my oh is a bit 'anti cloth' haha (he sees it as more mess i think) But he never ever changes bums so im ignoreing him haha but if the first ones i get r bad 2 him it would have been a waste of money and cant be bothered with him nagging haha x

ebay cheapies, I get about 2 hours out of, with the one insert that's included. I only put two inserts in if say, we're going out, or a nap is coming up. Put a fleece liner on top and if it's pooped on then I rinse it off in the bath, or a disposable liner and just flush away :) How many inserts though varies from baby to baby.
Can't help with the flips though, sorry. I mainly use pockets/AIO's.

ebay cheapies, I get about 2 hours out of, with the one insert that's included. I only put two inserts in if say, we're going out, or a nap is coming up. Put a fleece liner on top and if it's pooped on then I rinse it off in the bath, or a disposable liner and just flush away :) How many inserts though varies from baby to baby.
Can't help with the flips though, sorry. I mainly use pockets/AIO's.

Thanks, ive been reasured that these nappies are good - i will prob use 2 inserts the first time, then c how long i get with that then reduce.

With poopy nappies, ovb i would flush down toilet - then with the 'stained' nappy would that not smell if i left it? Or what do u do there? Coz i ovb cant put washing machine on 4 one nappy lol. Can inserts and nappys be washed at the same time? x

I have a bucket I fill about a third with water, and keep the nappies and inserts in there until wash day, never actually smells bad since I give my nappies a good rinse if they were poopy, I've never really tried to smell it though! I wash my nappies, inserts and liners all together, but I could be doing it wrong :haha:

Lol, I would be doing it all wrong 2! Im totally clueless, no one where i live (HV, midwifes etc) has ever spoke 2 me about cloth nappies - which has pissed me off a little bit haha. I always wanted to try them but wasnt sure 2 much hastle 2 find out info haha, but pampers stink and so i tryed lil angels and they r making his bum red :( and huggies leak! haha so its a great excuse 2 try somthing else!!!
P.s do you put anything in the water? And just cold water? lol x

Lol, I would be doing it all wrong 2! Im totally clueless, no one where i live (HV, midwifes etc) has ever spoke 2 me about cloth nappies - which has pissed me off a little bit haha. I always wanted to try them but wasnt sure 2 much hastle 2 find out info haha, but pampers stink and so i tryed lil angels and they r making his bum red :( and huggies leak! haha so its a great excuse 2 try somthing else!!!
P.s do you put anything in the water? And just cold water? lol x

I don't think it's a good idea generally to soak anything with PUL in (such as your pockets). The majority of people on here dry pail. You can rinse the nappy briefly if you like and then leave in the dry pail until wash day. When you wash do a cold rinse first, then the wash cycle, then I rinse again. None of my nappies are stained, if you get any stains you can just put in sunlight and it should bleach out any stains. Some fabric just doesn't seem to stain though (like fleece).

The council here is really fantastic at supporting cloth nappies :D Pampers smell absolutely awful, I don't know how people put up with it!

The first few times I just put washing powder/liquid in, but I've read that it's not really good to have too much washing powder as it can build up in the nappies? Or something like that, so now I just use water, I use hot water, but obviously the next day or so it's stone cold :lol: I think you can buy solutions to put in especially for cloth nappies, can't remember where I saw it though.

^^
Eeek, see I knew I was doing it wrong. I only generally have them soaked for a day though as I don't have enough nappies to go longer :wacko:

I rinse mine out very well then put them in dry pail till wash day. But as I do a load of her diapers everyday, they don't have much time to sit around and smell, lol. But what i used to wash them i used dreft, but switched to a laundry soap called ecos, it's natural free and clear. I have a few stains, but just on the inserts and they are not that bad anyway... of course most of my inserts are hemp or organic cotton.

I rinse mine out very well then put them in dry pail till wash day. But as I do a load of her diapers everyday, they don't have much time to sit around and smell, lol. But what i used to wash them i used dreft, but switched to a laundry soap called ecos, it's natural free and clear. I have a few stains, but just on the inserts and they are not that bad anyway... of course most of my inserts are hemp or organic cotton.

I dry pail too but only wash every three days and haven't had a smell problem either.

hey I have a few ebay cheapies but the fit around the leg isn't good with two inserts but picking up my ll bamboo boasters tomorrow from post office and these are meant to be really good and the nappies should fit my skinny toddler better with one micro fibre insert and a bamboo boaster as these are thinner.

I have a mixture of nappies but I do like my Little lamb nappies and the close parent pop in nappy which I have and the Real Easy nappies from Hip Hip which have a hemp insert.

I dry pail nappies and wash every 3 days nappies are very clean when come of washing machine much better since I have stopped using nappy sanatiser!!

Thanks girls - my los big chubby thighs might come in handy with these nappies then! haha
Im so exited.
Could anyone direct me to a link that has the hemps and inserts in the pocket size please thank you.
I got some reusable wipes on the way 2 !! :D

I was just gonna suggest if you go with ebay cheapies get the ones with an extra row of snaps, called hip snaps like these - good_seller003 is my favourite seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sweet-1-...789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fad936e5

They are more adjustable around the legs and in my experience are more leakproof, then just stuff with hemp or bamboo boosters underneath the original insert.

I got these hemp boosters:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Pea..._Baby_Changing_Nappies_LE&hash=item3a6317902e

Here's a link to bamboo boosters:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-NEW-..._Baby_Changing_Nappies_LE&hash=item359ec96312

Thank you so much, Do you use boosters INSTEAD of inserts, or with?

Thank you so much, Do you use boosters INSTEAD of inserts, or with?

with. so a lot of people find the combo of the microfibre inserts that come with a pocket nappy teamed with say a bamboo booster underneath it works well. So the microfibre absorbs wee fast, but isn't very absorbant. Bamboo and hemp absorb slower but are more absorbant, so they can then soak up the wee coming through the MF insert. This is what I generally do for most of my pockets. Still I don't get much time from an ebay cheapy (but dd is 16 months), but I can get about 4 hours like this from a BumGenius by doing things this way.

We have some Bumgenius v3s which we used with Amy and we only ever used the microfibre insert that came with it, no boosters or liners, and never had a leak. We never used them for night though, I would imagine that would require some extra absorbancy.

I am looking to expand our stash for this baby, as I did find the pockets too bulky to cart around if we were out during the day, plus we hit a sizing snag between the medium and large settings and gave up using them. Also we are having a boy this time so extra nappies will be needed anyway to replace the pink BGs (that's what I've told DH and I'm sticking to it :D)

The Nappy Lady has recommended Tots Bots Stretchies and Rikki wraps, but I am also keen to try out Flips too. So I will be watching this thread with interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->