Am i right to be annoyed at hospital??

soontobemom

Mom to Emily and Jacob xx
Reaction score
had my scan at hospital at 20 weeks, had all the usual checks, weight, height, bp etc, i have been having high bp, swelling. had pre-e with DD. had to wait 2 and a half hours to have scan anyway, never mentioned anything to me.
got an appointment in the post this morning for a Glucose Tolerance Test and on it they had circled reason for me needing it is because i have a BMI higher than 30. My BMI is 30
i just don't understand why they could not have mentioned this to me on wednesday at the scan.
i didn't have one with DD in 2009 and i weigh a lot less this time around

I would be annoyed that they didn't tell you at your appointment but not that they've booked you in for it. I think they're just trying to look out for us :) Also they may have thought that your midwife may have mentioned it as a possibilty before hand and therefore didn't mention it because of that?

I would have thought they didn't tell you at your appointment as they would have had to run your results past a consultant. Would have been worse if they HAD said something, made you worry, and they had decided you didn't need it. At least theyre looking out for you - have spoken to loads of ladies on here who are having to ASK just for basic pee and bp tests! :rofl:

I would have thought they didn't tell you at your appointment as they would have had to run your results past a consultant. Would have been worse if they HAD said something, made you worry, and they had decided you didn't need it. At least theyre looking out for you - have spoken to loads of ladies on here who are having to ASK just for basic pee and bp tests! :rofl:

^WSS.

I wouldn't be annoyed at all.

Ceecee that's why i am annoyed because they didn't tell me at appointment.
i spoke with the consultant at the appt as well and he said everything was ok. it is weird the appt is for a sunday as well

Maybe it's just cos youre right on the borderline they thought you didn't need it then decided afterwards better just to be safe. x

I've moved from Glasgow back to Preston. I was on the green system in Glasgow, so I had no issues but when I did my transfer they took my weight (at 20 weeks!) and I'm now on the consultant led programme (even though I had only gained 2 kilos in 8 weeks). They said that it is hospital policy to give the GTT to anyone with a BMI over 25. Different hospitals have different policies I guess. I agree, it is very frustrating but don't stress yourself. At least they are being cautious rather than not caring!

Maybe they thought your midwife would of mentioned this already?? Mine said at my 16 week app that i would been the glucose test doing, dont worry i guess its just to be safe! xx

my cousin had the gloucose test cuz our nan has diabeties. They never offered it to my sister when she was having her daughter last year, i guess they r taking precautions to be safe for anyone who may be at risk. I would be a little annoyed about it not being mentioned but at least its booked and u dont have to phone around and get fitted in. Hope it goes well xx

Did they take blood and urine at your scan? It could have been indicated from sugar in your urine, or a high blodd sugar level. If so, your MW would have arranged the GTT, which would explain why your consultant didn't mention it? Either way I think you need to find out.

You don't have to have the test done, either you could always refuse.

There isn't a difinative link between an overweight bmi and GD, there is a stronger genetic link. however, statistically more overwieght women tend to have GD.

You need to talk to your MW and find out what has prompted the GTT.
XxX

not sure if this will help but when i went in for my 12w appt, the midwife said she was going to order a 1 hour GTT as well as a 24 hours pee collection. She said she was doing this for a base line so that later if there was problems then she had a way to compare it rather then having to waste time later on doing it. I am not a diabetic...but i do have a insulin resistance that she is trying to be pro active about. I would take it as your midwife being proactive and prying to protect you. Sorry she didnt say anything to you in person. Maybe she thought that will all the stress of that day and your high BP she didnt want to make it worse. Hope you get the answer you need.

thanks everyone

phoned the hospital yesterday took an hour of ringing for someone to finally answer the phone, got through to the department that will be doing the test. i explained i had recieved appt in post, not mentioned to me at appt on wednesday. the original date for appt was a sunday so i queried it and she said "no you are down for monday". i told her it was ridiculous especially if i had turned up at that time.
got through to Consultant's secretary today, they have no record of anyone requesting test but sure can't i get it done anyway seeming as i am down for it now!!!!!

i also have to have the gtt i think its a waste of time as ill be having a section a month early anyway

thanks everyone

phoned the hospital yesterday took an hour of ringing for someone to finally answer the phone, got through to the department that will be doing the test. i explained i had recieved appt in post, not mentioned to me at appt on wednesday. the original date for appt was a sunday so i queried it and she said "no you are down for monday". i told her it was ridiculous especially if i had turned up at that time.
got through to Consultant's secretary today, they have no record of anyone requesting test but sure can't i get it done anyway seeming as i am down for it now!!!!!

Madness - so someone has requested it?! - as you are down on Monday for one; even if it isn't the time on your appointment letter.

I would ring your maternity department (or where ever your MW works out of, could be a birth centre). There will be someone there 24hours a day and they will access to your electronic notes.. as the consultants sec doesn't know, then I seriously doubt that it came from the Obst office. I'd be furious by now if I was you - you need some answers, not be told just to go for the test anyways!

Get back on the phone and demand some answers! I simply wouldn't be having any test done, if there wasn't a reason.! (they can always re-book you, if you don't have it done and leter decide it IS indicated - so that's not a problem)
Let us know how you get on
XxX

thanks bournefree

i got through to MW who told me my appt was in fact for Monday 21st March at 9.30am. i asked why was i been sent for test she said due to my BMI being borderline and due to having pre-e before and displaying some early signs of it now and that baby looked to be on the big size.

i said i was not happy that she did not mention this to me on wednesday last and she apologised, she assumed someone had told me. to which i replied i only spoke to you and sonographer.

thanks again, i have calmed down a bit now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"