Am I the only one who doesn't really love babies (please read before judging!)?

Mintastic

Reaction score
I LOVE children. I work with children for a living and I love it. I love little kids, big kids, even most teenagers!

However...babies don't really interest me. I objectively think they are cute...but in a kind of I am supposed to think they are cute way.
Someone brought his baby to work yesterday and all the other women were cooing over him and I thought the guy looked kind of cute holding the baby (I think men look cuter holding babies) but that was about it...

I assume when I have my own baby I will feel differently about it but occasionally worry that something is wrong with me and I should just adopt an older child. I know it isn't the same thing but I also did not want a puppy and adopted a 4-yr-old dog I adore.

I hope no one with a baby takes this personally. I don't dislike your baby...I will just be a lot more interested in him/her when they are about 1 1/2 and up.

Does anyone else TTC or even who already has kids feel this way? Is something wrong with me?

I understand exactly what you mean! My sons 5 and I wish I could pause him for a couple of years at this age because he's hilarious.
Little babies, until they get their own little personalities and really little milk demanding machines.
I guess you could say, I love the child they blossom into more :)

Thanks dreaming! It is comforting to hear from a parent who knows what I mean. There is hope for me as a parent yet!

My nephew turned 6 in May and I have always loved him but he is pretty much the most awesome he has ever been right now. Last time I was over he "taught me" how to play charades and it was just about the most fun I have had all year.

Newborn babies are hard! They basically just eat, sleep and poop and give little in the way of feedback until they start smiling, laughing, babbling and hugging you back, etc. I love my son with all of my heart, but I do not miss the baby stage! He is now 21 months and he talks and hugs and kisses and has the most hilarious sense of humour, and he gives so much back. However he is a toddler terror, so every stage has its downsides. :lol: (Said tongue in cheek of course ;) )

My mom has always maintained the fact that she is not a baby person. Lol. She was still a god mom and is an amazing grandma; she just isn't fond of the baby stage. Much like other posters, she just thinks kids are much more fun an exciting once they hit like 3.

I definitely get it and don't think that has anything to do with your ability as a parent or how much you love your kids. :flower:

I was like that before I had mine. I also prefer the toddler stage because newborns are a little bit boring. I find other babies cuter now but then I'm broody for number two.

If I could happily give birth to a 6mnt old then I'd be happy!

0-6 months was my idea of personal hell and I had an easy baby BUT I'm back here wanting no2 :)

Phew - glad it isn't totally abnormal to feel that way. Thanks ladies!

A friend of mine feels pretty much the same way!
She said she loves her kids but (in her words) "I'm so over the whole baby thing, just give me a 2 year old and I'll be fine" :haha:

At the moment I am in UBER BROODY mode so babies just make me turn into a cooing pile of mushy mess :rofl: but usually I'm not hugely baby-mad.

Not abnormal! I have never really been a baby person, I always loved the older stages much more. I never felt like I even really knew what to do with a baby, even though I worked with kids all the time. However, when I had my baby it was different. I definitely like this toddler stage more than his baby stages, but that doesn't mean I didn't love the newborn/baby stages as he went through them! Everyone has a favorite age for kids. Sometimes other moms say they wish they could go back to the baby stages with their child, because they miss it so much. However, I just think the experience with him as a baby one time was sufficient for me- I loved it, but I wouldn't go back. I do so wish he could stay this age for awhile, and I'm sure I will look back on these days wishing I could back to this sometimes! I fawn over every baby now, too, though I think it more reminds me of my son at that age than actually missing that stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->