Am I too laid back? Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Kalah, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Kalah

Kalah Guest

Basically I'm wondering if I'm a little too laid back when it comes to LO's safety and if anyone else is the same? I got thinking about this because the other day I was in the living room, LO crawling around playing on the floor, and MIL was there with us watching. I noticed MIL jumped up a lot and gasped constantly and just looked like a worried mess while LO was playing, she even commented on how I don't even flinch and don't seem worried at all. The thing is I watch her like a hawk but in my head I'm constantly assessing the situation and danger level of what LO is doing, so if she starts to fall over and I know that she isn't near enough to anything that could hurt her, I don't move at all I just let her tip over and she crawls away happy as can be. With pretty much everything I just let her go for it and she falls over sometimes, bumps her head at least once a day, cries a little over it sometimes (less and less often as she's getting used to it) but in general she's never been actually hurt as in cuts or bleeding or even bruised.
    So is it bad that I don't jump to save her everytime she's about to fall over? Is it bad that I don't feel like a bad mom when she falls or hits her head or something, I just feel like it's a normal baby things to do. I guess I just expect her to get hurt throughout her childhood, I know I did! Anyone else?

2. shortie1990

shortie1990 Mummy to two under 2 :)

I'm the same, his favourite at the moment is climbing in and out of his car seat that's on the carpet so he's safe enough when he falls out of it! It's all about learning! OH jumps up all the time, and I've noticed if he falls over and OH jumps up or shouts awww to him - he cries at the big reaction, as I just watch, hes a bit shocked that he's fallen but just jumps up to do it again, I think it's more the reaction of us that reassures him wether to cry or not

3. dovehouse

dovehouse Well-Known Member

no i am the same, my paretns and inlaws often say ooh watch him near this and that and ooh hes going to fall etc but i know what my baby can take!he is quite a tough little boy!we let him roam everywhere and hes ok. obviously we have made sure the flat is safe in terms of locking cupboards and stuff that is v dangerous. but i do have some friends that are less laid back than i am, i suppose it just depends on you as a mummy and how your lo is. i know mine is a big toughie so i leave him to it most the time!
    x

4. Hayley90

Hayley90 Complete

Im the same to an extent.. Harrison fell off my bed last week and I was a wreck, crying with him because it scared me. But when he topples over or hits himself in the face with a toy, im not fussed. Obviously i comfort him if he is sad/hurt, but most of the time he laughs and carries on! Id never let him play with anything that was innappropriate anyway, so if he injures himself its with something that is considered "safe" for children. xx

5. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

We dont make a big deal out of it when River falls over or bumps her head so 90% of the time neither does she. We figure that way she will only cry if shes really hurt herself rather then for the reaction iykwim.

If she takes a little tumble we usually just ask her if shes ok if she doesnt cry we say good girl your fine and she toddles off.

Seems to have worked so far but im sure when she sees other kid fall over and cause a fuss she will soon pick up on it.

We also dont worry to much about her climbing and such, just try and trust that she knows her own capabilitys.

6. amygwen

amygwen Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline

No I don't think it's bad at all that you're laid back. In fact, I think it's a good trait and most newer moms will become like this as well as their child grows up. I've noticed myself being exactly the same as my LO grows up, in the first few weeks/months of life I would constantly panic if he would try and do something and I knew he might hurt himself. Now I've learned to bite my tongue and not to intervene everytime he's going to do something that I know he may potentially fail at. He's started walking around and if I flinched everytime he might fall over, I'd never get a minute to myself :D And even with BLW, I'd constantly think he'd choke if he had a big piece of food in his mouth but as he's gotten older and more experienced with BLW.. I've been more confident.

7. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I'm way too laid back but I've gotten better. I have honestly dropped him about 7 times (not recently...). I admit I was rather careless.

But I don't think you are :rofl: IMO a baby without a single bump or bruise in it's life is a sheltered one. I let mine bonk his noggin and he's learned from it! The only time I draw the line is something like electrical cords or touching the dog.

8. LauraBee

LauraBee Bethlouise & I

Psshh. I don't have time to worry, I just enjoy having my baby. I have a friend who is so paranoid about something bad happening that she doesn't really appreciate her son. It''s stupid to be over careful IMO.

9. XfairyhopesX

XfairyhopesX Mummy to my Pixxie & WTT

god i am usually so so laid back but the falling is doing my absolute brain in.. although it has become less and less in the last 3 weeks initially it was ev 10 bleeding mins i was a nervous wreck and i do stand back more but my mum is like u (30 yrs a a child minder would prob do that) he has lit the run of the house... she doesnt bat an eyelid.. wish i was a bit more like that, perhaps as gets a bit more steady eddy xxx

10. SKATERBUN

SKATERBUN Well-Known Member

Yes I know what you mean, LO is 8 months nearly 9 and is crawling to all parts of the lounge now, I havent yet got any plug socket covers :blush: I have to jump up from my seat and shout NO loudly everytime LO goes near the plug extension thing. And she sometimes picks up my hairdryer in the bedroom (when its not plugged in)and starts to suck the plug itself! :wacko: (nice and cold I would think for her gums). I feel I need to start doing some checks around the house to see what we van to baby proof it.

11. Kalah

Kalah Guest

We haven't done any baby proofing yet either :blush: Although even if we did I don't think I'd be leaving her in any room alone for at least another few months anyway. Was actually thinking of taking the double bed out of her room and baby proofing the whole thing so she's got a big area to play and explore that she could be in alone.

12. NaturalMomma

NaturalMomma Well-Known Member

Not bad at all. I'm like that too. There is no reason for me to over react when ds2 is crawling around on the floor. I have baby proofed the house, everything that he can get into are things that he is allowed to get into. I close doors to the rooms I don't want him in, otherwise it's fair game. Even at the park I am a lot more free range than the other parents. They are all next to their kids even older ones, and I'm not. I know ds1 knows what he can and can't do and so far in his 4 years hasn't done things he's not old enough for.