Am I too skinny?

AC1987

Mom of 2 DD's
Reaction score
I have been wondering these last few months if I'm too skinny to get pg?
I'm outta the norm, it feels, as I've always struggled with trying to gain weight, I'm 5'4" and 100 pounds :(I seem to have a really fast metabolism. And eating fried foods have the opposite effect on me(TMI sorry) So I'm just wondering has anyone been successful getting pg while being thin?

With my first I was 5' 4 and 97 pounds. I was really small my whole pregnancy and he was breech because my muscles were to tight around him. He was my smallest baby. I have heard being a bit heavier is helpful in ttc. But I wouldnt say that you are like sickly thin. I know I was rather thin and people were concerned but I wasnt doing anything to make myself that thin. Now that I have had a few kids I am nowhere near that weight and never will be. I weigh 130 now and I prefer my body like this. Might try eating your avatar picture?

Hi AC, I understand your concern. Being too thin can make it difficult to conceive! How long are your periods? Are you temping? Do your temps rise and stay elevated during your luteal phase? These are ways to see if your body is producing enough hormones to sustain a pregnancy. A brief, light period or low temps may indicate low hormone levels.

If you need to gain weight, healthy fats from nuts, avocados, fish, bananas, etc are a much better plan. I would try and talk to a nutritionist or your doctor and see if gaining a few pounds would help ttc.

I have a couple of very thin friends who have had healthy pregnancies, it just depends. Best of luck and FX'd that you get a :bfp: really soon! :flower:

Thanks for the replies.

I've never dieted in my life.. even as a teen in my growing stage i could eat and eat.I was always told i would fill out once I passed a certain age but it hasn't happened!
I do have regular cycles every 28-29, AF for me is heavy(normally except for this month which I'm blaming on Evening Primrose) I just started temping with this cycle so I'm pretty new to it. I'm almost sure I ovulate every month.

mommyof5 I hope that happens to me! I would love to gain some weight to have more of a figure! :)

Thanks for the replies.

I've never dieted in my life.. even as a teen in my growing stage i could eat and eat.I was always told i would fill out once I passed a certain age but it hasn't happened!
I do have regular cycles every 28-29, AF for me is heavy(normally except for this month which I'm blaming on Evening Primrose) I just started temping with this cycle so I'm pretty new to it. I'm almost sure I ovulate every month.

mommyof5 I hope that happens to me! I would love to gain some weight to have more of a figure! :)

I loved my body when I was 100 pounds, but my husband seems to be much more attracted to me, now that there is more than skin and bones lol. I love my hips. I did try gaining weight during my pregnancy and I ate a lot of pasta and that seemed to help. There are so many different kinds, you could never get bored with pasta!

I think if you're having periods you should be ok. I lost a lot of weight through illness and my periods stopped when I dropped below a certain weight and then came back when I got above a threshold. You could speak to your doctor if you're worried though. Good luck!

You should be okay as long as your periods are normal. When my weight got too low my periods stopped for about a year, so as long as they don't stop like that then you should be fine. Good idea to chart tho just to make sure.

I was 105lb and 5'5 when I got pregnant with my son (only a couple of lbs heavier now) and it took me 13months to conceive but obviously there is no proof they are related. I don't diet, I have some chub on me and my periods are normal. I was classed as 'high risk' because I was small so I was under consultant care but that was just a precaution. My consultant thought I looked perfectly healthy. I gave birth to a healthy baby on his due date. So I think unless your weight affects your periods or general health then I don't see why it would impact much on TTC.

I'm outta the norm, it feels, as I've always struggled with trying to gain weight, I'm 5'4" and 100 pounds :(I seem to have a really fast metabolism. And eating fried foods have the opposite effect on me(TMI sorry) So I'm just wondering has anyone been successful getting pg while being thin?

Hiya, I'm a similar height/weight to you and also struggle to gain weight! I'm currently not TTC (waiting for AF to return after hormone treatment for endometriosis but previously always had regular AF!). I know of thin people who had babies, hope this reassures you (it reassures me as I'm worried about the same thing!!). Let me know if you manage to find a way to gain weight, I'm keen!

You're probably fine as long as your bodyfat isn't too low- so if you work out a lot and that's your weight you might want to up your calories, but if that's how you are naturally then you're probably dine! I'm 5'7 and bounce around 118 and 123, I wAs sure the doc would tell me to add some pounds but he said I'm fine since that's just how I'm naturally built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->