Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by cupcake, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cupcake

cupcake Mommy of a gorgeous boy!

Well we are back at the same issues again, the sleeping ones.
    LO still co sleeps and DH is very against it, he says that LO needs a bedtime, not just when I go to bed ( I agree) and that LO needs to have his own space to sleep in his own crib ( I also agree just don't mind so much is its not right now) in his own room ( I disagree! - just because I am scared to have him so far away and because its a big step for LO who is used to my bed)
    DH says if we are going to move him lets do it once to his own room and not twice, ie once to the crib and then to his own room only later on.
    This issue is really hard for me. It is becoming much harder to sleep with my over 10 kilos, baby in my bed and I do think for both our sakes he should sleep in his crib now.
    I also know that at this age moving to a crib is going to require quite a bit of crying it out, in some way or another. I am still for the going in and comforting him method,but that is not going to work during the night if he sees me in the room??

Oh what to do.................

2. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

I didn't do crying it out to get Caitlyn in her cot. You don't have to do it that way. Only took a week to get her in there all night. I needed her near me because I didn't want to do CIO or make her scared, so if she was next to me I could get her out straight away, cuddle her back to sleep, then put her back in.

3. Wobbles

Wobbles BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

I'd move him straight to his own comforts - never know he may like the peace and nobody else shuffling in his bed lol Caitlin did but we did it around 7 months I think nomatter if you cosleep or not the longer you leave it the more aware and upset they would be from change where as when they are younger they are more adaptable - most times :lol:

Theres like small burp clothes in Matalan for 2 or 3 pounds I used them as comforters for Megan when she was in hospital - I would sleep with one at night and put it beside her in the crib when I went to the hospital keeping my scent with her. Could be an idea?

4. Scottish Sam

Scottish Sam Mummy to Rebecca Rose

:hug:

If it was me,I would probably get him used to sleeping in his crib first before putting him in his own room. Is he able to have naps in the crib? might be an idea to do that to get him used to it.

I have just put Rebecca in her own room in the last couple of weeks as she had outgrown the swinging crib we have in our room and her cot is too big to have in our room. I seriously thought about buying a smaller cot so she could stay in with us longer:rofl:

I cried so much the first night:cry:
    good luck

5. Scottish Sam

Scottish Sam Mummy to Rebecca Rose

I did this too, I just cant bring myself to CIO and within a few days she loves her cot and goes to sleeo no problem:happydance:

6. isil

isil Well-Known Member

I think at the end of the day it's up to you as you're going to be the one who's doing all the hard work (by the sounds of it)!

It's not the same but when Alasdair was just over 6 months I was getting him to go to sleep by himself and I did NOT want to do CIO. It was a lot easier than I expected. edit: i can't really add how I did it because it was so easy that he just went to sleep. It was a big shock - but he did have his comforters (he uses terry towels) around him (about 3 of them!)

How is he actually getting himself off to sleep? Are you BFing him to sleep? Maybe little steps would work better for you both :hugs:

7. cupcake

cupcake Mommy of a gorgeous boy!

i dont want to let him cry it out, i have started by putting him in there when he sleeps in the afternoon, he will sometimes stay one hour sometimes half an hour, but he wont go back to sleep even if he is tired in there. i havent tried night yet because i just wanted him to get used to day, dont really have a plan am just fumbling along

8. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

You dont have to CIO... I personally wouldnt pick him up though...try and comfort him by rubbing his tummy, putting on a music box etc.

When you are ready, have a good routine set up for bed time and stick to it. I agree with your OH on that one... do it once and do it right.

Babies are quite adaptable... you may be suprised at how easy it is and how well he may actually sleep. It may take a week or two of persistence.

Does he have any comfort items? If he does make sure they are with him... This may sound dumb... but make sure his crib is to the bottom setting so he cant climb out, I read someone who had an older baby around your age who didnt and they climbed out.

9. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

I had a really hard time when it was time to put Claire in her own room (I never co-slept though).

I totally get what you mean about wanting him close! We bought a video monitor, it has video with night-vision as well as sound. So not only can I see Claire, but I can hear her too. It's pricey, but it was worth it's weight in gold to me for being able to see her at night.

:hugs:

10. JennTheMomma

JennTheMomma Mommy of 1 & Expecting #2

There are plenty of ways to get a baby in their own crib without CIO. CIO is not a solution and shouldn't be used as one. The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley has wonderful ideas. Also, babies and toddlers don't really have bedtimes. They'll go to bed when they are tired and to try and make them go to bed isn't going to work very well. They'll get their second wind and then won't go to bed. If your baby wakes up around the same time, naps around the same time, then they'll go to bed around the same time. And they change throughout their first few years. Growth spurts, illness, new milestones etc all effect their sleeping.