Amoxicillin, paracetamol together?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by sweetlullaby, Jun 2, 2011.

1. sweetlullaby

sweetlullaby Well-Known Member

Is it ok to take these together? Ive already took them anyway as the pain is horrendous!:cry: i have shooting pains running across one side of my mouth and teeth, my ear is swooshing and is so so sore it started with a sore ear this morning but have been having toothache off and on for a while. Then leads down one side of my neck and up into my head giving me blinding headaches. I shouldn't even have the amoxicillin had it from a not so long ago prescription when I was given two boxes instead of one naughty keeping them I know, but I've had this before and it was an infection in the root of a tooth and had me in tears all night so at this time of night when no dentist is open I was desperate for anything to soothe or stop the pain and found the amoxicillin and thought one won't hurt and I just want the pain to stop :-( toothache and mouth infection pains are worse than labour I've said that before and tonight I'm repeating it. I need a hug, a hot whiskey, hot water bottle and a dentist or possibly doctor if it's ear related :-(

2. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Yes. Amoxicillin doesnt do anything for pain, it gets rid of the infection and you have to take a course of them before they work (ie, 3 times a day for 7 days). Try and take some ibuprofen, it's an anti-imflammatory and helps a bit more with toothache i find.

3. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

I really sympathise. Ive been there and know how it feels...it IS worse than labour, anyday!

Amoxicillin is a anti-biotic, not a painkiller hun, but will get rid of any infection taken over a week or so, about 3 times per day.

What you need is Codeine. Its better than Ibuprofen. You can buy it over the counter at chemists in the form of Co-Codamol until you can get to a dentist or doctor.

But yes, you can take antibiotics and painkillers together x

4. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

I hate cocodamol, makes me feel :sick:

5. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

Yeh some people do say that about it, it can also make you constipated...:blush:

I felt really ill one morning when I took too much of it for my toothache and hadnt eaten anything....

But I do find its a good painkiller:thumbup: