An idea for cat owners

emmajulymum2b

Reaction score
Hi

Just thought id share my idea with you. We have got the Samsonite bubble travel cot which is netted all around, and can fit a moses basket/crib into it. Perfect for if you have cats and want the baby to sleep in a room where the cat goes.

We tried the cat nets and they didnt really work as the cat just jumped on the net and the net touched the mattress!

Em x

Good idea but I'm just going to stop the cat going into the room the baby sleeps in.

i have had my moses basket in my living room for a few weeks to get cat used to it and she hast even been interseted at all,

I used a mozzie net over the cot but also when we had the cot set up if she went in id gently take her out and say no, she did love to sleep on the changing mat though which i ddint mind cos i would change the cover b4 the baby arrived.
She never ever goes in his cot/ went in his cot and stopped sleeping on the change mat when she knew what it was for hehe.

our cat wont be sleeping in the nursery room at all, but she sleeps in our room where the crib will be for a while. We dont want to disrupt her routine too much and there is no where else for her to go so was racking my brains for a cat proof solution. The Samsonite travel bubble cot is ideal it is all set up ready and peace of mind that cat cannot get in at all.

Our cat is a bengal, so she is more into everything than normal cats and normal techniques dont seem to work with her. We will have a moses basket in the lounge where i will keep an eye as I wont be asleep then so will try the tin foil and removing technique on that.

I'm sorta planning on cosleeping...I hadn't even thought about this. Oni usually sleeps with me (all snuggled up in my hair or down my by ankles, depending on the weather.) Can't imagine kicking my kitty out :( Is there a safe way to share space with baby and kitty?

I gave all 3 of my cats free run of the house. The last thing they wanted was to be anywhere near the baby. They feel that way even more now that he's a toddler and likes to squeal and chase after them.
One of our cats always shared the bed with us and continued to share it with us and the baby, so no problems there.

where abouts can you buy the cot/ moses basket nets from???? I cant find them anywhere :/

you can buy the nets from kiddicare or mothercare. Altho they didnt seem to work really for us.

i have four cats,and only one that was allowed in the house occassionally,as soon as i found out i was pregnant i keep chasing them out.they wer never allowed on any beds or the sofa,but itthe more domesticated one always got up when we were not looking,now OH has arranged a little cosy plce for him to snuggle in when im not around,but as soon as i get home,i chase him out,i dnt want to risk toxoplasmosis,coz i work in the NICU, and ive seen how badly babies with toxo turns out,im freaked out

Something else to try would be to set up your cot or bassinet ahead of time, and put something unpleasant for kitty in there. Like, cover the bottom with aluminum foil so it crinkles when the cat jumps in (most cats really hate walking on aluminum foil). Or put down some masking tape sticky side up so it sticks to their paws.

Just anything to really get it in the cat's mind that it's just not a fun or comfy place to be! If their first experience trying to lie down in it is a bad one, they may just never try to get in it again.

I tried the foil on the moses basket down stairs and the cat just jumped right on it and didnt care...

gonna try the sticky tape idea....

Our cats are not allowed in any of the upstairs rooms except the bathroom which they dont go in anyway. If baby is sleeping in the moses basket downstairs, I truly dont think my cats will bother but I will be buying a net just in case. x

Thank you for sharing this, I'm not worried about during the day because I'll be able to keep an eye on our two cats.

But I was a little bit concerned about what to do at night. Our two cats have always had the choice to sleep on the bed with us and my littlest cat Dora generally does. My mum has been really worried about the possibility of them climbing into the Moses basket while we're asleep and I didn't know how we'd keep the cats out of the room. If one of us got up to use the bathroom in the night I know they'd sneak in.

Looks like we can easily fit the Moses basket into one of these :thumbup: everyone's happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->