Another thing to worry about!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by DragoPanda, Jan 31, 2011.

1. DragoPanda

DragoPanda Guest

okay so i was reading through some posts and came across somethign called Listeria or Listeriosis. I am now slightly concerned. First of all, I am not someone who can cook so I eat a lot of processed and pre-packaged foods. I cut out the stuff I read to avoid like tuna, soft cheeses etc.
    The thing is I eat fruit quite often, mainly apples and tangerines. I peel my apples before I eat them but I just read that you must wash all the fruit before you eat them (even if you do peel).
    Another thing they said is to avoid deli meats unless u cook it at certain temp... well I'm in Korea and I reading the packaging is useless to me! I bought deli meats for quite some time (packaged) and ate them and now I am worried. I never knew about this Listeria thing until this morning. I don't have any symptoms of any illness but I read it can show up as late as 70 days after. Thankfully I am leaving here in 4 weeks but for most of my pregnancy I have been here. I eat read-to-eat curries often. I boil my own rice. But the curry packet I put into boiling water to heat it. I do not have a microwave here. I feel like there is almost nothing left for me to eat and i have to stick to sandwhiches with cheese slices/beans, pasta with the sauce that comes in jars and eggs! i cant survive on that for 4 weeks though :cry:
    They don't tell you ALL this stuff at the doc!!

2. Ember

Ember Pregnant - 3rd Trimester

I would try not to worry about the things you've already eaten and just focus on what you eat in the future. Just make sure you don't eat any cold meats, always cook it first, and always wash your fruits and veggies.

Earlier today hubby and I were out and decided to split a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's. After sucking down more than half of my share of it, I remembered that I'm not supposed to have soft serve ice cream, which they are made from, and stopped drinking it. It was soooo good though... And last month we went out to eat twice in one week at a buffet and I had some soft serve ice cream before I found out that soft serve isn't safe, but I'm trying not to worry about that either.

When I got home today, I popped some acidophilus and garlic oil pills to try to counteract any listeria I might've ingested if it was present in the milkshake. I'm trying to stay positive that it worked.

3. Guera

Guera Well-Known Member

I think you are alright!
    First if you had contracted Listeria, you would know about it by now.
    Second most deli meats are fine from the store, the concern comes mostly from deli counter holding meats, they can become contaminated if held a wrong temps and changes of temps, ect...
    I know it is a real concern, but the awareness of Listeria in pregnancy is fairly new and a lot of women have consumed deli meats without any negative effects.
    Maybe mention it to your Dr. next time you go in, but really try not to stress about it. :hugs:

4. DragoPanda

DragoPanda Guest

i feel in my heart everything is okay but i will definitely try to be safer in future from now on. going to wash those apples big time lol! i can feel my baby moving now so it's reassuring at the moment.

5. mumoffive

mumoffive Well-Known Member

Well i do find it strange that you need to wash fruit and veg that has been peeled! Why? Surely by peeling the skin, the contamination would go! After all, its the soil thats on it that would contaminate the surface..anyway, just a thought.
    As for the stuff you have eaten, i agree, forget about it and just try your best and avoid certain food stuffs. Reheat any ready meals until they are piping hot..and as for deli meats, well either leave them, or heat until steaming is the advice i have heard. Put it into perspective, listeria is very rare affecting 1:25000 pregnancies. The odds of you catching it are almost non-existant. The only reason they warn you is that it can be a serious illness for your unborn baby. We have ALL eaten things that we shouldnt. I recently found out that i shouldnt eat pre-packed salads...or if i do, i should wash them as there is a risk of toxomplasmosis. Well im sure i ate them all the way through with my ds and he was born healthy. As for deli meats, well i had my ds when there was nothing about this listeria and i ate salami from the deli on a daily basis..and my twins were born fine! Keep it in perspective and do what you can to minimise the risk now that you know.

6. mumoffive

mumoffive Well-Known Member

Are you sure its listeria from fruit and veg? I would have thought it would have been toxoplasmosis which is from contaminated soil [ feces from animals]

7. DragoPanda

DragoPanda Guest

thanks. someone on this forum had a stillborn baby because of it so it made it more of a real threat i guess... i read you have to wash it before you peel it because the germs can get transferred while peeling... think im just going to avoid the cold meats to make me feel okay... i still have a pack of frankfurters though... guess i will boil them before eating